Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to re-shim the valves after finding a couple were down to 0.12mm on the inlet side and 0.20mm on the exhaust

the procedure says to lock the camshaft gear with the back lash gear using locking tool T3880330. is this just a pin? and if so what size will fit the hole?
looking at making up my own tool for the job

·
Administrator
11,235 Posts
Yup, 25mm. I get them at the local Honda shop. The younger guys look surprised when the older guy fishes them out from the back of a bottom drawer. They hadn't seen them before.

·
Administrator
11,235 Posts
Cam caps are not interchangable, and you need to keep track of their position and orientation. Don't drop those dowels or the M4 nut down into the motor. Don't over torque the shoulder bolts that hold the cam cover down. Those are the biggest tips I can remember at the moment.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Another tip is don't over torque the oil crossover banjo bolt. They snap pretty easily.

And I know a T100 lower end can eat at least one cam dowel without adverse effects. All bets are off if you feed it more than that though.

·
Registered
382 Posts
You can just use an allen key or torx wrench thru the cam gear holes. I cant remember which size fits best.
Even if it unwinds, it is easy to get it back with the aid of a broad flat bladed screwdriver

·
Registered
10,245 Posts
Have a spare banjo bolt ready if you break it on reassembly. There's also an o-ring and a crush washer or two that you might as well replace while you're in there.

Put rags in every possible opening to drop anything from dropping in, and be careful with interchangeable screwdriver tips, which have been know to separate from the handle and drop in.

Use a Sharpie marker to mark each cam cap's location and orientation and write location and thickness on the shims. You have to be methodical and careful in this job. And be VERY sure that the camshafts are replaced in the correct orientation. I discovered around the fourth time that I checked everything that I had one installed 180 degrees off 😲, very glad I caught that and prevented a top-end disaster.

Lubricate shims, camshafts, lobes, caps, etc with motor oil on reassembly.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I made up a pair of these , 8mm brass rod inserted in the chuck of a mains drill , bit of angle grinder and some filing and sanding . A labelled storage box is handy for storing cam holders and buckets after removal .

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
+1 on blocking all holes to keep the locating dowels on the cam caps from falling into the engine, particularly the large breather hole between the second and third cam caps.

After you remove the cam caps, make sure the locating dowels came with them and all small parts are accounted for before removing your rags. In my case, a dowel fell out of the cam cap and onto the rag without me noticing. Not until I moved the rag did the dowel fall down the hole. I made a retrieving tool with a coat hanger and magnet to get it back.

Also, whatever you use for your locking pin, bolt, Allen wrench, etc, attach a tape flag to the end of it so that if it falls into the gorge of cam chain under it it can be pulled out easily.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so many good tips that I hadn't even thought of. will be tackling this job in the new year during my time off on holidays.
many thanks to all and I guess any one else who does this in the future will benefit from these posts as well :)

·
Registered
563 Posts
I made up a pair of these , 8mm brass rod inserted in the chuck of a mains drill , bit of angle grinder and some filing and sanding . A labelled storage box is handy for storing cam holders and buckets after removal .
You made a great job of those brass pins with just a drill and grinder/file, I've seen people do a lot worse on a lathe:rolleyes:
Storage box is a good idea, I did the same on my Daytona to keep all the buckets and shims together.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Call me lazy if you will, but shim-over-bucket designs i always make a little tool for depressing the valve and fish the shims out with a little magnet. Removing the cams is bollox.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Call me lazy if you will, but shim-over-bucket designs i always make a little tool for depressing the valve and fish the shims out with a little magnet. Removing the cams is bollox.
Please elaborate. Have you done this with a Triumph?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts