Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just did the service myself. Don't know what Triumph will ask but I bet it will be at least $500.00 There is alot to do especially if you need other shims. It is not REALLY hard but it is involved. Mostly time and the hourly rate will be what $95.00 and hour? I don't think the mechanic is going to be rushing to finish. The shop will get theirs. I wouldn't be surprised if it cost much more. If you are up to it and have the time and space to take as long as you need, do it yourself. If not, just bite the bullet and have them do it. I would ask the service manager to get the mechanic to write down the clearences for you and what size shims they removed and replaced. That is information I would want if I decided to do the next one myself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just did the service myself. Don't know what Triumph will ask but I bet it will be at least $500.00 There is alot to do especially if you need other shims. It is not REALLY hard but it is involved. Mostly time and the hourly rate will be what $95.00 and hour? I don't think the mechanic is going to be rushing to finish. The shop will get theirs. I wouldn't be surprised if it cost much more. If you are up to it and have the time and space to take as long as you need, do it yourself. If not, just bite the bullet and have them do it. I would ask the service manager to get the mechanic to write down the clearences for you and what size shims they removed and replaced. That is information I would want if I decided to do the next one myself.
Thanks Yanoosh,Since I have no experience with shimmed valve trains I will leave it to the experts.Would love to learn how though.I spoke to the dealer and they said the service would be about 450 out the door which includes the oil change and carb sync.I just did the oil and filter myself and I could do my own carb sync and strip the plastic. That should save me a fair amount of dough and give me the opportunity to get familiar with the workings of the bike. I like the fact that these bikes are fairly straight forward mechanically.No ABS ,No fuel injection no shaft drive ect.I just moved from a BMW and these were area frought with expensive failures and complicated fixes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
12K Valve Adjust

My 900 is due for the same. I was quoted 6 hours of shop time (+/- $450.00) plus parts. I find it interesting that you switched from a beemer. I'd been riding a borrowed R1200RT until I recently bought my Trophy. I have to admit, my decision came down to pure economics, although your experience confirms that I made the right choice!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 900 is due for the same. I was quoted 6 hours of shop time (+/- $450.00) plus parts. I find it interesting that you switched from a beemer. I'd been riding a borrowed R1200RT until I recently bought my Trophy. I have to admit, my decision came down to pure economics, although your experience confirms that I made the right choice!
Well,I switched from an R1100s.A neat bike and very easy to maintain.Valve adjustments ,throttle sync and fluid changes were very simple.But, the abs was a bitch to service and if the abs module fails then you are looking at thousands of dollars.Then there are numerous stories of spline failures , broken trannies and final drives.Now I never had any of these problems but it was always in the back of my mind.My decision to buy the Trophy was mostly due to better two up accomadation but I was surprised how much better the Trophy handles.There also seems to be very few serious and common mechanical failures written about on the forum apart from coil failures.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Trophy handles better

Oldschool,

I agree, I think my Trophy handles much better, even two up, than the BMW R1200rt. I probably put several thousand miles on the beemer and it still fells top-heavy at slow speeds and intersections. Although I have to admit on the highway, it really cruises nice, I miss the heated seat and hand grips, and I'm still trying to get used to the extra wind noise on the Trophy. Am I a wimp or just getting old ? :(

drhenne

1 - 7 of 7 Posts