Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice.......got a quote yesterday to check valve adjustment on my daytona,they quoted me $400.00Cdn converted that is $352Usd and $212 GBP.........this is to check and adjust the valves as required.I believe i'm hearing a little valve train noise,as I'm riding it sorta sounds like a growly murmer(sorry best I could do ) .Also said they would check the Map as I have a Wolf system on it.So what does everyone tink of that price....seems a touch right?? What the valve train noise on a triumph sound like, can anyone describe it.I'm very mechanically inclined,but still learning the traits of this bike.

I can buy the valve tool from British custom motorcycle for $92cdn,unless someone knows of a cheaper place.It can't be that hard, I have a service manual on cd,and a printed copy.

Anyone done this latley?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just did the valve adjustment on a '95 1200. Patience and the old "measure twice, adjust right". You can do it. Definitely have some picks (old dental tools worked for me) and a telescoping magnet. Take your time and make a chart of each valve and it's measurements. This article, in addition to the one from canyon chasers helped:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/valves/

Also a great price and instructions came with this tool. It should work on your motor if the serial number is up to #132513
http://www.geocities.com/mustanggarage/shim_tool.html

·
Registered
107 Posts
tri955i

I think you should check your manual as I am sure your Daytona will be shim under bucket.
If adjustments are needed, the cams have to come out in order to change the shims to get the required clearance.

I have a 1200 Trophy that is shim over bucket & elect to remove the cams to change shims.

As mushman said, You need to measure & chart all valve clearances first.

I prefer to "Mic" the shims rather than just accepting the size they have stamped on them as there can be slight differences due to wear at times.

If you are mechanically competent & approach it with care & patience you will be ok..
A lot of the time these engines go along way before needing any valve adjustment..

I had a March 05 built 955i Sprint that @ 43000Ks (when I binned it) was still at max factory clearances..

All the best....Sweenz

·
Registered
49 Posts
That price seems about right, which is why I learned to check my own valve clearances.

I'm pretty certain that all 02-06 Daytonas, 02-04 Speed Triples, and 02-04 Sprints are as Sweenz said, and you'll need to remove the cams. That tool won't help you. You'll also need to remove a case cover to access the cam chain, so you'll need a couple gaskets.

The '02 that I have uses the smaller, 9.5mm diameter shims. Do a search on eBay for shim kit. You can get a kit with assorted sizes for about $65, and has 140 shims. Triumph gets $6-$8 each for shims.

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for all the input, excellent stuff.I will sit and read (and re-read) the valve adjustment section in the service manual and along with the info here I should be okay.I honestly did not realise that I had the bucket and shim style valve train,I used to do the valve shims in my 1982 Yamaha 750 all the time , they were B&S style as well.Although , in that set up , no cam removing ever was needed.My serial number is 201108,so I guess when you say Mushman the tool works on engines up to 132513 , mine is too high .?
I have the shop,table lift,tools and service manual, all I need is the beer fridge stocked and the patience,both of which are always on hand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts