Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an airbox removal kit from Triumph Performance USA. In the kit are 2 short vacume hoses that the instructions say to attach 1 between both carb nipples and the other between both intake nipples.
Is there some advantage to doing this verses the stock vacume caps now in place?
Does doing so affect how the carbs adjustment would work, ie. carbs sort of linked so not as easy to adjust a single carb?

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Connecting the carbs in this manner makes it very hard to adjust the mixture and sync the carbs. I don't know why they would recommend that you do so (and provide the means).

·
Registered
915 Posts
I believe that connecting the carbs in the manner you described will have the effect of balancing the flow through them. In order to balance them in the traditional manner, you'd remove the balance tube and plug the ports. Interconnecting them would tend to smooth out any difference in flow between the two carbs.

·
Registered
716 Posts
question about intake tube hoses

Sorry if I am changing the subject here but when I got rid of my A/I tubes the kit had only one cap for the left side intake manifold tube/nipple...the right tube is still connected but should I block off the right side intake tube as well??? and what is the right tube connected to?

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I believe that connecting the carbs in the manner you described will have the effect of balancing the flow through them. In order to balance them in the traditional manner, you'd remove the balance tube and plug the ports. Interconnecting them would tend to smooth out any difference in flow between the two carbs.
Absolutely correct. And, if your carbs are properly set up to begin with, connecting them together will have no effect at all.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Sorry if I am changing the subject here but when I got rid of my A/I tubes the kit had only one cap for the left side intake manifold tube/nipple...the right tube is still connected but should I block off the right side intake tube as well??? and what is the right tube connected to?
The other vacuum lines feed the EVAP system. Get a large garbage can if you start disconnecting it. There are a couple canisters, some valves, and a several feet of vacuum line in the system.

·
Registered
50 Posts
One more nipple than "The Man with the Golden Gun"

The AI removal kit I bought contained 4 small nipples.
When I pulled the AI system, all that came away was the two AI pipes, the solenoid controlled valve, and a larger diameter hose which went to a hole in the airbox (hole plug included).
There were no other hoses connected to the solenoid.
What are the 4 nipples for?
There is a small diameter hose connecting the two carb bodies, and another one between the carbs, connected to a hardline, and leading downward.
Are these also to be removed with the rest of the AI?
There were no instructions with the kit.
Bob

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
There is a small diameter hose connecting the two carb bodies, and another one between the carbs, connected to a hardline, and leading downward.
Are these also to be removed with the rest of the AI?
There were no instructions with the kit.
Bob
No. The hardline is the bowl vents. Bikes without the EVAP system don't have a line connected to the hard line. I'm not sure about the small diameter hose. No one has ever discussed removing it. I still have mine. All four of my vacuum nipples (manifold and adjacent carb) are now plugged. I removed the AI and the EVAP system.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So many nipples, so few ideas!

Joe,
Even prior to removing my AI, all four ports on the manifolds and the carbs were already capped off.
The nipples I have left over are smaller than the ones on the manifolds.
I DO have a rubber line connected to the center of the hardline between the carbs which leads downward, so apparently I also have the evap system.
Since Florida just (apparently)voted to insitute California emissions rules, I don't think I'll take the evap off, unless there is some overriding reason (besides de-cluttering the bike) to do so.
Bob
No. The hardline is the bowl vents. Bikes without the EVAP system don't have a line connected to the hard line. I'm not sure about the small diameter hose. No one has ever discussed removing it. I still have mine. All four of my vacuum nipples (manifold and adjacent carb) are now plugged. I removed the AI and the EVAP system.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
If FL follows CA, then no worries. We're not smogging motorcycles (yet).

The EVAP system on your bike isn't working if the four main vacuum ports are plugged. In its present condition, its just extra weight. The system itself (when properly connected) is passive enough. The only problems that have been reported have to do with the cannisters getting filled with water. There is also a potential for many more vacuum leaks, I suppose.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Evap system

Well, Joe, fancy that!
That's the condition in which I received the bike, new from the dealer!
I wondered why there were vacuum ports both on the carb end of the boots and also the manifolds themselves!
So I guess the 4 small nipples I have are, in my case, unneeded parts.
Bob
If FL follows CA, then no worries. We're not smogging motorcycles (yet).

The EVAP system on your bike isn't working if the four main vacuum ports are plugged. In its present condition, its just extra weight. The system itself (when properly connected) is passive enough. The only problems that have been reported have to do with the cannisters getting filled with water. There is also a potential for many more vacuum leaks, I suppose.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Well, Joe, fancy that!
That's the condition in which I received the bike, new from the dealer!
My bike was in a similar condition from the dealer. The rollover valve was gone and the vacuum line that went from it to the canister was missing. So I ripped everything out, but I replaced the rollover valve and just ran the line down in front of the rear wheel. If I ever drop the bike, it would be nice not to have gas running out all over.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
original question

pokeyjoe & billstokes:
Thanks for the info, I suspected that might be the case. I will adjust the carbs capped and then after that decide if I want to use the hoses or not. I hope the re-jetting goes smoothly and is close to optimal. I have rebuilt car and lawn mower carbs before, but not changed jetting from stock. Just a little afraid of makeing it run worse instead of lots better with no airbox and free flow mufflers should be.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I believe some bikes in '08 had a hose connected to the carb vent "T" than went down in back of the engine like some other hoses, and I am not talking about the CA emissions equipped bikes. It might be worth a check to see if this is the hose you are talking about.

Keep in mind that the carb vent should NOT be plugged; otherwise, you WILL get big-time flooding of the carbs.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Carb vent

RedBird,
Yes, that's one of the hoses all right.
Very good on that being the float bowl vent.
I don't know what the other small hose which connects to the left side of each carb is for, though.
There are apparently quite a few variations of how these bikes were equipped which is muddying the waters a bit.
Bob
I believe some bikes in '08 had a hose connected to the carb vent "T" than went down in back of the engine like some other hoses, and I am not talking about the CA emissions equipped bikes. It might be worth a check to see if this is the hose you are talking about.

Keep in mind that the carb vent should NOT be plugged; otherwise, you WILL get big-time flooding of the carbs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts