Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be able to get these for an OK price (or not). What do you think they will sound like on a TB? Obviously I would have to make adapters myself as the won't fit straight out of the box, but you guys think they will be way to loud on a triple?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Thank only way to tell is give them a try, check to see what they have for baffling inside and please let us know how they work out if you buy them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank joy way to tell is give them a try, check to see what they have for baffling inside and please let us know how they work out if you buy them.
If I get them for a good price I will probably pull the trigger and then post sound clips etc. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So the seller never responded but I managed to get a RH side Thruxton R V&H for $95 inc shipping. Now, the question is should I get the LH side from another seller (found one for $185 inc shipping) or put more work into it and use the RH side with a T509 header I found for $155 inc shipping (or a T709 885i that I can get for less than that) to make a 3-1?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
So the seller never responded but I managed to get a RH side Thruxton R V&H for $95 inc shipping. Now, the question is should I get the LH side from another seller (found one for $185 inc shipping) or put more work into it and use the RH side with a T509 header I found for $155 inc shipping (or a T709 885i that I can get for less than that) to make a 3-1?
Nice to have options!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I pulled the trigger on the T509 header in the end, this will be my winter project (one of them). Based on info on this site it should not be too hard to make it fit. If it hits the engine at the bottom I will try to dimple the pipe. The plan is also to replace the waterpipe with a hose that will go just in front of the left front engine cover (similar to some of the other triples I think). I'll let you guys know how it goes and how it sounds when done :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Muffler came in today, small scratches but nothing major, maybe I will try to minimize them later if I decide to polish the muffler. It's the EU version so the baffle is not removable. However, It does not sit too far in, so it seems like it can easily be drilled out if the audio is not satisfactory :)

Bolted it up on the regular header just to get an idea of the sound. Lets see tomorrow.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks for updating us. The V&H silencer looks to be high quality. I'm curious to see how it looks and sounds on the bike.

Noel

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for updating us. The V&H silencer looks to be high quality. I'm curious to see how it looks and sounds on the bike.

Noel
It feels like good quality when holding it, good finish and robust!

I will try to upload pics and sound clips tomorrow, but it will be with the stock header and a LH side stock Legend muffler (not a fan of the peashooters). At least it gives and indication of the kind of sound it will generate. Rode it with the Emgo (packed with stainless steel scrubbers and ceramic fibre) on the LH side today. It was hard to determine but it did not sound much lower than the Emgo I think. One thing I did notice was how much more exhasut gases was pushed out from the Emgo at idle, probably means the V&H is too restrictive with the baffle in?

Also, Speed Triple header arrived today, overall good condition but needs a proper cleaning :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pics from today on a stock header. To make it fit propely you would have to cut about 2" of the header where it meets the muffler, and probably another half inch or so from the muffler connection. I'm just tesing it now so I used a spacer/adapter/bracket to attach it to the rear footpeg (where they used to be) and left the ugly gap between muffler and header.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I think a pair of those would look great

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And sound clip as promised :)

Stock muffler on LH side. I think this will sound great with a 3 into 1 header. The exhaust gas preassure coming out at idle is very low thou, maybe I will drill a hole in the baffle, but start slow, probably around 1/4" or so at first. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
280 Posts
That sounds pretty good! It's got a nice rumble/growl to it. I like the look too. I barely noticed the gap between the silencer and the pipe. :) Thanks for taking the time to post the video and photos.

Noel

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
What do you mean by that? Seems to me you wouldn't want any pressure at idle.
Sorry, I should have explained it better. When using my hand to feel the exhaust gases coming out from the muffler, the V&H does not push as much out as the stock (the air stream is weaker), and way less than the Emgo (they were stuffed with one stainless steel pan scrubber and wrapped with stainless/ceramic fibre). Don't you think this could restrict the exhaust? Although the bike does not run bad at all, so maybe not?

I should add that the air box is modded also:
1. K&N filter
2. One extra hole on the RH side, same size as the hole in the LH side (40mm). One 7/8" (22mm) extra hole on each side.
3. Unrestricted carb-to head-rubber
4. Mikuni carbs with 42.5 pilots, 2.5 turns out on air screw, one step down on jet needle (richer) and 120 mains.

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
I think you are being deceived. First of all, what you are sensing is velocity, not volume. In fact, the bigger (less restrictive) the pipe, the lower the velocity will be for a particular flow rate. Also, if you even the flow out by smoothing the pulses, you will perceive less pressure.

What you would want to compare is the pressure in the pipe just ahead of the muffler, not after the exit. At idle, no muffler worth its salt will show much pressure, and the difference between any two should be minimal. When you get the flow rate up at higher RPM is when the differences will become apparent.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What do you mean by that? Seems to me you wouldn't want any pressure at idle.
Sorry, I should have explained it better. When using my hand to feel the exhaust gases coming out from the muffler, the V&H does not push as much out as the stock (the air stream is weaker), and way less than the Emgo (they were stuffed with one stainless steel pan scrubber and wrapped with stainless/ceramic fibre). Don't you think this could restrict the exhaust? Although the bike does not run bad at all, so maybe not?
I think you are being deceived. First of all, what you are sensing is velocity, not volume. In fact, the bigger (less restrictive) the pipe, the lower the velocity will be for a particular flow rate. Also, if you even the flow out by smoothing the pulses, you will perceive less pressure.

What you would want to compare is the pressure in the pipe just ahead of the muffler, not after the exit. At idle, no muffler worth its salt will show much pressure, and the difference between any two should be minimal. When you get the flow rate up at higher RPM is when the differences will become apparent.
Make total sense, thanks for the explanation :)

You seem to know alot about this, do you know how drilling holes in the baffle plate would affect things? Does it help the flow if the air intake side is opened up or does it just reduce back pressure?

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
There is no easy answer. It depends on the internal design of the muffler. In general, opening up a path straight through the muffler will reduce back pressure, but, if you create an abrupt change in shape you can actually induce turbulence that increases back pressure.

Before you change anything I would contact the manufacturer and see what they say. Usually, if you want to change the sound, changing the packing, or the baffle, or both, is the best course of action.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There is no easy answer. It depends on the internal design of the muffler. In general, opening up a path straight through the muffler will reduce back pressure, but, if you create an abrupt change in shape you can actually induce turbulence that increases back pressure.

Before you change anything I would contact the manufacturer and see what they say. Usually, if you want to change the sound, changing the packing, or the baffle, or both, is the best course of action.
Thanks man :)

I will not do any drilling until it's tested with the 3-into-1 header anyway, sadly that will be mid March as the bike goes for winter storage in a week :(

Anyway, it needs some love, chain and sprockes are worn out, front forks needs to be rebuild (I will also install Ricor Intiminators), tires will be replaced and rusty indicators and mirrors will be replaced with polished alu or stainless ones. I'll keep you guys updated :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts