Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many of you have questions about running TuneECU on different platforms
Here's one consideration for those currently without Android Phones or Tablets or even a Windows Laptop
This not only makes for a relatively inexpensive set-up it also gives you the benefit of large screen display in your garage

In my case the equipment consists of
Minix U9-h Android TV Box*
An old TV**
A Google PlayStore account and Purchase of Android TuneECU app ***
A Minix A2 Lite Remote****
A Vgate Bluetooth OBDii Wireless Dongle*****

* (you can use just about any cheap (i.e. Chinese) Android TV box here - these things can be really low cost out of Chinese Outlets like Gearbest, Geekbuying, AliExpress etc (cheapest systems start at only $20!) Of course you also have endless other possibilities here with Browser and Media apps beyond the TuneECU option!

** Lots of options here again- people are giving away TV's FREE (or extremely low cost) everyday here on our local NextDoor App rather than pay a recycle fee as they upgrade to latest & greatest 4K unit; any size is possible as long as has HDMI input. Check your local Craigslist, or Gumtree or whatever ...
This one I'm using is just re-purposed from the house - bought new about 15 years ago I would say!

*** If you have already purchased for use on your phone or tablet, there is no additional cost to run this on multiple devices with the same Google Log-in.

**** Even the TV Boxes OEM remote is probably usable - you can get even greater usability if you add a USB input device with air-mouse - the Minix device I am using has a full KeyBoard on the back-side as well as the airmouse capability. Another good choice here if you want a bigger key-board would be a Logitech K400 wireless mouse/keyboard combo. Especially for TuneECU you would predominately be using the mouse but the keyboard option is nice if using the browser or other apps. I like the compactness of the Remote style with the keyboard on the back.

** Again many options from Ebay or Amazon etc; You will have to connect by cable for loading/retrieving maps so will need a TuneECU cable plus long USB M/F extender for that (depending on where you place the box, relative to your bike); but that you can plan for as you're setting system up and plan for length required accordingly - For diagnostic work, the USB adapter is excellent.

Anyway, here you go

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Interesting
Would this setup work with the newer Bluetooth only bikes including map download?

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't see why not - as long as the box you select has Bluetooth
Should be no difference whether map download or Dashboard I would expect - I can't test that unfortunately as don't have access to bike that meets that criteria
But can't see why any difference vs a phone as long as running Android.
In fact it's probably even better for that application with no cable required at all!

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Thanks, to be honest I'd never even heard of Android TV boxes before, always been on cable for TV and internet, I'm obviously not down with the kids 👴
It's good to have another option available though, seems to be a common question on the forum at the moment.
There maybe people who have these devices already and didn't realise they could be used for tune ECU.

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
There maybe people who have these devices already and didn't realise they could be used for tune ECU.
That was my thinking - although even if not, they are so inexpensive - especially when you don't need one of the latest higher-end ones to process 4K and Dolby Atmos (unless you want that too of course). Even a minimally equipped one (2G/16G) should be plenty of memory if this is all your using for and tons of options from about $20.
If you want something for media player (make that garage a true man-cave :D) then even more equipped options are possible still relatively inexpensively for example take a look at Ugoos Devices - they are a high quality company with regular ongoing firmware updates and the X3 is a very potent device!
The main 'detractor' of this system is having a TV to access - but as I suggest, lots of people are just getting rid of 32-40" in TV's when they upgrade, for little or no money (certainly in my area anyway) so checking the local for sale sites is a good bet. Here locally I even saw a Name Brand 55" 1080p for free pickup - had an audio problem, but who cares for this application? :D
I did note the other thread which included questions about mapping via bluetooth - it is important to note that the only adapters recommended for that are the OBDLink ones - there may be others but doesn't seem to be any identified that I've seen

·
Registered
Thruxton 1200 R , 900 , KTM Duke 390 , Honda NSR 125 , SWM 124
1,788 Posts
Would a new "smart tv " be any good , vision here of us all wheeling our bike into the house and remapping in comfort from the recliner !

·
Registered
2019 Speed Twin
306 Posts
Would a new "smart tv " be any good , vision here of us all wheeling our bike into the house and remapping in comfort from the recliner !
would need to be a android tv. Bit like the hot tub/jacuzzi conundrum. Not all smart TVs are android but all android tv‘s are smart. will need to be able to connect to a the OBD dongle with bluethooth.
the Android tv box has been proven. Would be interesting to see if this works as well.
cost wise it Might not be worth it. Normal screens and a android tv box are cheap but an android tv not so much. Would be cheaper to get a second hand android tablet or phone.

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would a new "smart tv " be any good
would need to be a android tv
Even if Android based, very doubtful if it can be used
I believe the first requirement is that the App must be directly loaded from the PlayStore, not side-loaded from an apk (I saw a response from Alain, the developer, on the TuneECU Forum to that effect, unrelated to this exactly but just generally running from a 'copy' which an apk is)
And Android TV 's have exactly that - 'AndroidTV' Operating System, which is not exactly the same as a regular Android
i.e. Android and AndroidTV are similar but not the same Operating System
- so not even sure if TuneECU will run on that (that would be potentially same issue with Firestick, MiBox or Nvidia Shield - not saying it can't necessarily but don't know that it will)
And as per @SPEED-TWIN-77 you would also need the ability to connect to it with cable or adapter

But of course you can still get the TVBox (again note that these are quite inexpensive) and connect it to your TV, 'Smart' or otherwise! :D

·
Registered
2019 Speed Twin
306 Posts
Even if Android based, very doubtful if it can be used
I believe the first requirement is that the App must be directly loaded from the PlayStore, not side-loaded from an apk (I saw a response from Alain, the developer, on the TuneECU Forum to that effect, unrelated to this exactly but just generally running from a 'copy' which an apk is)
And Android TV 's have exactly that - 'AndroidTV' Operating System, which is not exactly the same as a regular Android
i.e. Android and AndroidTV are similar but not the same Operating System
- so not even sure if TuneECU will run on that (that would be potentially same issue with Firestick, MiBox or Nvidia Shield - not saying it can't necessarily but don't know that it will)
And as per @SPEED-TWIN-77 you would also need the ability to connect to it with cable or adapter

But of course you can still get the TVBox (again note that these are quite inexpensive) and connect it to your TV, 'Smart' or otherwise! :D
My mother in law has a Brand new android TV that’s running Android 9 So would work on it from that stand point. My concern would be It’s ability to connect to the OBD Bluetooth.
she lives on the 8th floor of an apartment block So I can’t really test it.

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My mother in law has a Brand new android TV that’s running Android 9 So would work on it from that stand point.
No, it won't.
It will be ATV (even if it is v9) not pure Android on a TV; so it will not have a full Play Store
i.e. I would be fairly certain that TuneECU is NOT available on ATV - please look for it next time you visit there.
And there is no tuneecu apk from a mirror site out there; it would require an extractor app from an installation on a phone to create one; but then at least per Alain's comments on his own forums, you cannot install a copy, it must be directly from the Play Store

And unless someone wants to take their bike into the house, or the TV into the garage, this whole discussion is kinda pointless anyway.

To which I will add again - SOME* TV Boxes are ALSO ATV - not pure Android; so same issue with those.
*Mi Boxx, MeCool, Nvidia Shield, Firestick etc
So must be careful if considering this route, not to get one of those.

·
Registered
2019 Speed Twin
306 Posts
I did check. TuneECU was avalible to download. it has the full google play store unlike my LG Tv that only has Google play movies and tv.
Again as I said I don’t think it will Bluetooth to the obd. But if it did you wouldnt need to wheel it inside if your lounge if it’s not to far from the garage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts