Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've just bought a 1998 T509 Speed Triple (885cc) - it's in fantastic condition and looks new (you really wouldn't believe this was an 11 year old bike!). Triumph paintwork and chrome certainly stand the test of time ... !

I've taken it for a ride (starting from cold) and was *very* impressed with the smoothness and power - but I have nothing to compare this with as it's my first 'real' bike.

I've bought this from a good dealer (although not a Triumph dealer - this was part-ex'd for a Suzuki!) so get 3 months warranty.

However, is there anything I should be particularly aware of on a Triumph of this age? Any known issues? Anything I should get checked out?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
There is one possible major flaw in the older Speed Triples. 4th gear can break and grenade the transmission. I would check the Serial#, and service records to see if the more robust 4th gear has been installed. There is a lot of info on the older S3's, including personal experience with the 4th gear issues, over at T595.net. Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - I've been reading up about this - from my research so far it seems the 98 bikes should be ok. I'll check out the VIN and history though.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Also buy a battery tender to keep your battery in good nick, they seem to like chewing sprag clutches if the battery gets low and IIRC it's a split engine job to fix. Other than that they are a good solid bike, I really enjoyed my T509

·
Registered
150 Posts
Fuel connectors should have been replaced under a recall. The original ones were absurdly flimsy. You don't want to find out the hard way they haven't been replaced the first time you have to pull the tank. Some people spring for aftermarket metal connectors. I'm headed that way eventually.

Look for valve adjustments at 12K mile intervals in the bike's history, assuming it has passed 12K miles. The PO on my bike let it go to 18K before the first valve adjustment, and all the intake valves were virtually closed up. Not a good scenario...

If you have access to a Tuneboy or have it at a dealer, check and see what tune the bike is running. Updating to the latest tune for my '97 model (it had an early update of the '97 tune in it when I bought it) made quite a difference in the bike's low end response even with the stock pipe.

If you manage to drop the bike on its left side, be very wary. The stock cc breather setup has been known to dump oil into the airbox when the bike is dropped on the left side, and thence into the cylinders, causing massive engine damage when the starter button is thumbed again. I haven't dropped mine, but if I did drop it on the left side, I'd pull the tank and check the airbox before restarting. If evidence of oil, I'd pull the plugs and crank it with the plugs out to make sure there wasn't oil in the cylinders.

I'm probably forgetting some things, but those are the things that just jump to mind, besides the ones already mentioned in this thread.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks - all useful information. I'll take a good look at the service history, and be especially careful should the bike fall on its left hand side. Despite reading various posts/forums for days I hadn't heard of this - or the flimsy fuel connectors - so thanks again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
There was a recall on the plastic fuel connectors, Mine got done when it was brand new but 5 years old, the downfall is the plastic ones were a double dry break system, the new metal ones are single dry break, now it only stops fuel from dumping out of the gas tank instead of the tank and lines. There was also a recall on the clutch cable, Look in the gap at the lever mount where the cable slides in and look for any fraying, I keep an eye on this, since I am on my second clutch cable by 16000mi.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
they seem to like chewing sprag clutches if the battery gets low and IIRC it's a split engine job to fix.
Is this a triple issue, or specific to the S3? Is there a year model where this problem no longer occurs? I've heard of this, but am just starting to look for a used S3 so am still uninformed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi all,

I've just bought a 1998 T509 Speed Triple (885cc) - it's in fantastic condition and looks new (you really wouldn't believe this was an 11 year old bike!). Triumph paintwork and chrome certainly stand the test of time ... !

I've taken it for a ride (starting from cold) and was *very* impressed with the smoothness and power - but I have nothing to compare this with as it's my first 'real' bike.

I've bought this from a good dealer (although not a Triumph dealer - this was part-ex'd for a Suzuki!) so get 3 months warranty.

However, is there anything I should be particularly aware of on a Triumph of this age? Any known issues? Anything I should get checked out?

Thanks,

Steve

Hi , I have just bought a 1997 T509 in immaculate condition too. It has 34000 miles and seems to run nice but has an aftermarket can which is really noisy.....Nice... One thing i always do is an oil change no matter when they say it was done last.....I had a sprint ST before and with the oil change the engine sounded much quieter..... am waiting to do that to my T509. I am lucky that Jack Lilleys is round the corner from me and the previous owner bought it from them and had it 8 years. I am going in to them tommorrow to check its recall history with them based on what i have read here.

Do you have a screen for yours?

Good luck with it and enjoy...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just a bit of info for you.....

I took my bike into Jack Lilleys and asked them to check the recall history and it was logged with Triumph as still needing the fuel connectors changing. They booked it in there and then FOC......Now thats a good reason to buy british !!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts