Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for something more laid back than my Daytona lately. I've decided that I would like to get a Bonneville Black. I came to this decision becauseI love the look and feel of the BB, and I wanted a back to basics, versitle, reliable, fun motorcycle. I love the way the Bonnie's capture a simpler era.

I need help deciding which one these to that I should get.

I found a clean used 05 for $5000, which is about $1000 over NADA value. That would be as is no warranty and the old 790 motor. It has aftermarket pipes so it isn't original, but it doesn't seem to have any issues.

I also found a left over 08 for $7000 OTD, which would be about$1500 over NADA value. That is obviously more money, but I get a brand new bike that no one has tinkered with. Plus the larger motor and the 2 year warranty.

The bike will mainly be used for backroad daytrips two up with my wife. She likes riding with me but will only go an hour or so at a time on the Daytona.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and help with this decision.

JB

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I think the '09s, with FI, are improved.

If you want the carbed model, the '08, at least, has the larger engine. I think the Bonnie needs all the engine it can get.

I've seen '05s selling for less than $5K.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The 08 Bonnie could have EFI, mine has, we live in a very hilly part of England, with some very steep hills, and it copes 2 up with no problems at all.
It really is a very good all rounder, I have done 300+ mile round trips with no trouble at all, it cruisies the motorways with ease, just as it does the back roads.
I'm getting a fairly constant 50+ mpg as well.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
05/ 08

I love my 04 790!! I think a better built bike- British & all and ALL metal parts.Id work on the guy w/ the 790 $$ wise? Providing all has been done properly- I like the motor a lot & it will keep up w an 865 w/o problem. They are both over priced so Id work on the 05 1st & see what $$ you come up with? If not - go the other route? When these things become REAL classics again- the 05 will be the winner $$ wise! Check it out real good tho!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the great feedback so far!!!

OK so I have some additional details.

I spoke with the dealer to get the final OTD price for the 08 and the best they would do was $7300 in cash.

I also test road the 05 tonight. It started right off, ran good, shifted smoothly, and sounded great! Everything seems to function properly, no hiccups or issue that I noticed.

It only has 4100 miles on it and is in meant condition. I was able to talk him down to $4500cash.

The owner indicated that all of the work was done by a local Triumph only dealer. Although I have no personal experience with the dealer, I do have an uncle, I trust, who swears by them. That makes me feel better about the quality mods.

Here is a list of what I know has been done. D&D stainless megaphone exhaust with rejetting, AI removal, 1 tooth bump on the front sprocket, M-Bars (although I think I like the stock ones better these seem really wide), and the valve covers have been swapped for a polished ones (he has the original black ones, I would likely pay to have those reinstalled).

Any thoughts based on the new information? Anything in particular I should be looking for that might be an issue base on those mods?

Again thanks for your help!
JB

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a new 2008 carbed BB. But if I were you I'd get the used 05.

1. Slimmer (prettier) gas tank with the screwed in metal badges vs. fatter 08 tank with glued on plastic badges
2. Original design (prettier) rear hub
3. Metal fenders

05 790 vs 08 865? Who cares?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
'05 for sure...
Don't ask me why...
My '05 w/ better cam's, classic jugs and made in England...
Oh well, get what you like! And enjoy!!!
There all Triumph's!!!
Let the modding begin...

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I think the '09s, with FI, are improved.

If you want the carbed model, the '08, at least, has the larger engine. I think the Bonnie needs all the engine it can get.

I've seen '05s selling for less than $5K.
Whoop's... My stock 790 would pull away from 865 stockers!
Now with just a little help ARK, Carbs and Pipes it smokes 'em...
EFI I haven't tried yet...
"Size of jugs are a lot like power window's... They're a lot of fun to play with, but you really don't need them!"

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a similar decision when I bought my 06 t100. The warranty was a big factor for me and I am glad I did it. Had over a year of problems, eventually resolved and now running fine, but if I did not have the warranty it would have cost me plenty.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Choice

Do the 05!!! Its already broken in & mods too!! I still think a better built bike. The 790 is a smokin engine even tho smaller!!

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
I have a new 2008 carbed BB. But if I were you I'd get the used 05.

1. Slimmer (prettier) gas tank with the screwed in metal badges vs. fatter 08 tank with glued on plastic badges
2. Original design (prettier) rear hub
3. Metal fenders

05 790 vs 08 865? Who cares?
I too have an 08 black and agree completely with VirtualNomad. Use the extra $2800 for making mods to the bike to make it just like you want it or buying a few years worth of gas or insurance ... and the mods done on the bike already are worth about $1000 and you would probably end up doing them on the 08 anyway as they really wake up the bike performance wise ... So you are really closer to $4000 ahead ... You'd have to need lots of warranty work to make up that difference, and the Bonnies are pretty much bullet proof. Keep the M bars on for a while before you go back to the stock bars ... they may grow on you once you start to ride the bike ...

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
easy choice. '05.
Most of the people that own these things pamper them beyond all reason. They are gently used and overly loved.

The $2800 you save will get you a TPUSA 904 installed. Or, it's 2years all expences paid.
Save your money and swap the cam cover yourself. It's easy.

Do the '05

·
Registered
867 Posts
+1 on the 05 for all sorts of reasons.

Also think about this: if its you and SWMBO on the back, you'll want to take some of the $$$ you'll be saving and get a really...... (betcha think I'm going the performance route here, doncha? well not so fast big guy).... soft seat for you and the little lady.

You can say you're making a smart decision for her benefit. Now that's what I call a win-win!!!!

Put the cash on the barrel head tonight my friend! Then tonight you might get a little..... (nope, I won't say it, use your imagination boys).

P

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm the proud owner of an 05 Bonneville Black!!!

I want thank everybody for your thoughts and encouragement. You guys are a great resource.

I pulled the trigger on the 05 Bonneville Black for $4500 cash. After putting about 60 miles on it, taking the long way home, I’m certain that I made the right choice.

Here are my initial thoughts after a few miles:

It is a very different machine than my 2000 Daytona, which incidentally, I had to sell to get the Bonnie. But the more relax feel fits my current riding style / lifestyle much better. Anyway, I’m getting a little old for riding the Daytona as it was meant to be ridden.

Although I tried some hard acceleration at a couple of opportune times, the Bonnie doesn’t temp me to excessive speeds the way my sportbikes did. I was perfectly happy motoring along with the traffic on the interstate portion of my trip. And when the tighter twisty stuff came along, I was surprised at how composed the Bonnie remained. I think it will take some time before I trust it fully, but I’m already impressed. Only two negative things so far, one the back brake locks up really easy, and two the Bonnie doesn’t like rain grooves, and tends to squirm a little.

The valve cover weeps but I wasn’t too surprised after reading about it in some other threads. No other issues that I have noticed so far, hopefully that will remain the case.

JB

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
So you are already making a list of how to spend that money :D

1. Tires
2. Brake upgrade

and you will probably be adding front and rear suspension upgrades to the list ... The ride will get to you soon - especially after a Daytona. It will make the Bonnie handle much better!

Then, if you want you can go for more HP via 904 etc... ;)

enjoy and welcome to the sane lane ...

·
Registered
435 Posts
good choice. The extra money could also be put away into a savings account to be a "repair fund" as needed. With cash, in hand, you don't need a warranty. And the difference is - with paying extra to get a warranty, the money is gone. Saving the cash, well, the money may never be needed for that bike!

or can be used for fun stuff later.

wise decision! you'll like it. I went from a sport bike to the same thing (well, a 2007). No regrets. You'll love it. There will be days you'll want more power - but unlike the sports bikes - this thing is FUN at 45mph!

·
Registered
333 Posts
good choice on the o5, go ahead and change the suspension and you will get a great ride. i bought my 05 used in 07, it had 75 miles on it, the only time it has been to a stealer is for the valve adjustment, still trying to get a handle on this shim thing. you will love the bike.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts