Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to Listed Specs

fuel capacity is 4.6 US gal=3.8 UK gal=17.4 liters

Has anyone tried to find out the actual useable capacity?

(I know that on my Rocket, it was listed at 6.6 but actual useable was just over 6.2 US gal.)

The fuel warning light on my STriple comes on @ 160 miles (more or less--depending).

I've ridden 30-almost 40 miles beyond that and have yet to put in more than 3.85 US gallons to top it off.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I think .8 is used for reserve, Ogre. It's covered in the manual.

I pour gas as soon as the light comes on and it's consistently 3.8-4.0 US Gallons (I only live a mile away from a station).

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'm right in line with the rest of you. If I fuel right when the light comes on, it'll take 3.6. Haven't run her dry yet, don't really plan to. Got 183 miles the other day on one of several tank ups and was 10 miles into the reserve. She took 3.9gals. Mileage checks during the ride varied from 42-48 Mpg with twisty mountain roads.

·
Registered
137 Posts
my last fill it took 3.992 us gals, though i was riding a bit with the light on, normally my light turns on at about 130 miles, then to fill from there would be 3.6 or so

·
Registered
582 Posts
My light usually comes on around 110-120 miles and I put ABOUT 4 gallons into it. I don't think i've ever really gone over 4.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your replies but I already knew the estimates.

I wanted to know if somebody had some real figures.

So if you want it done right,,,,,,,,do it yourself.

So I did.

I filled up a one gallon fuel can with exactly one US gallon and strapped it on the pillion.

When I got close to where I thought I'd run out, I hovered in close range to a gas station.

RESULTS:

I was able to get in--
4.56 US GALLONS OF USABLE FUEL --
TOPPING OFF TO THE MAX

As a side note,,,,,,,It started to sputter at 199.5 miles from previous fuel up (that one was filled full but not pushed to the max.

My fuel light came on @ 155.5, leaving me a maximum range of 44 miles until running out.

This, of course, will vary with conditions.

This was conducted on Sunoco 87 octane.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Thanks! I thought I had a gallon when the light came on. I rode another 20 miles and put in 4 gallons. So, I could've gone another 20 miles or so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts