Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tooling along on a nice sunny day today.

Light goes yellow, I slow for a stop.
SUV behind is not slowing AT ALL!
I cut to the right quickly as it sails through the light, not even a touch of its brake lights!

Later I catch up with it and it's drifting off to the right - over the shoulder line. (US road). Is she drunk?
No, something on the seat has her attention. A phone? Texting? Knitting? Cake?:eek:

Should I chase after her? No, better to calm down. OK, deep breath. OK, Now, where's that homicidal nut-case?
Lost her. Just as well. What would I have said?
"Ma'am, you almost just killed me" for starters.....
Nah, let it go.
------------------------------------------------------------
Just a reminder to all. The mirrors are your friends. Use them every stop.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
I always do. I don\'t een have to think about it, it\'s just a natural reaction. Probably partially due to the fact someone rear ended me many years ago and it stuck with me. For the same reason i also almost always split lanes at a red light so that i\'m safe from being rear ended.

Your close call is yet another wake up call to always keep an eye out not just for that, but for every possible scenario that could happen where you are at that moment. I often remind myself while riding in heavy traffic areas to watch every car, every driveway, every side street, and to expect every possible incident. then when i\'m out in more open areas i can relax and enjoy the ride more. Mirrors are definatly ultra important.

·
Registered
10,857 Posts
I'm not clear on how you can tell that a vehicle behind you is not going to stop from looking in the mirrors. I'm really glad that it worked for you, but I've tried it, and I just don't know. I have the brake light flasher and I release and re-apply the brake to get it flashing when someone is approaching behind me.

Brake lights on the front of the vehicle would be helpful!

·
30,533 Posts
Don't forget the horn is there to wake people up. It works for people behind as well.

Of course - it is a pretty lame horn and I recommend a replacement for that reason.

Anyway, keeping a close eye on what is happening behind is essential as you say, and don't forget to turn your head and check your blind spots either!

I like the modulator idea on the taillight. I was following a guy who had one a couple of weeks ago, and it REALLY draws your attention to it.

Every little bit helps.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. I often carefully trundle up to the front of an intersection between lanes of stopped cars, a). because you can here in California and b). it's a nice safe place to be.

I'm always watching my mirrors. One other thing to consider - the attitude of the car behind you communicates a lot. If the nose is down hard, indicating a panic (or near panic) braking situation, I'm looking for a place to go.

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
I'm not clear on how you can tell that a vehicle behind you is not going to stop from looking in the mirrors.
You should be able to detect his loss of speed if he's actually stopping. If you can't detect stopping clues from him then you should assume that he's not going to stop - take action to get out of his way.

·
Premium Member
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I always do. I don\'t een have to think about it, it\'s just a natural reaction. Probably partially due to the fact someone rear ended me many years ago and it stuck with me. For the same reason i also almost always split lanes at a red light so that i\'m safe from being rear ended.

Your close call is yet another wake up call to always keep an eye out not just for that, but for every possible scenario that could happen where you are at that moment. I often remind myself while riding in heavy traffic areas to watch every car, every driveway, every side street, and to expect every possible incident. then when i\'m out in more open areas i can relax and enjoy the ride more. Mirrors are definatly ultra important.
Well said!
Lane-splitting - or at least "filtering" at stop lights should be legal everywhere! A rear-ender is much more dangerous on a bike of course and filtering laws would save lives.

I'm not clear on how you can tell that a vehicle behind you is not going to stop from looking in the mirrors. I'm really glad that it worked for you, but I've tried it, and I just don't know. I have the brake light flasher and I release and re-apply the brake to get it flashing when someone is approaching behind me.

Brake lights on the front of the vehicle would be helpful!
In this case I could tell because I could see the SUV getting closer at a very fast rate. We were both moving at about 40MPH/64KPH. The more I braked the closer she got to my buttocksial region.

It was clear she wasn't going to stop. Maybe you're right though - in other cases you might not be able to tell. Like when you're stopped. You may find out they're not stopping a bit late.

Don't forget the horn is there to wake people up. It works for people behind as well.

Of course - it is a pretty lame horn and I recommend a replacement for that reason.

Anyway, keeping a close eye on what is happening behind is essential as you say, and don't forget to turn your head and check your blind spots either!

I like the modulator idea on the taillight. I was following a guy who had one a couple of weeks ago, and it REALLY draws your attention to it.

Every little bit helps.
Prop, those modulators may work but only if the driver behind has their attention forward. And what if a driver mistakes all the flashing for a turn-signal? Also, I'd never get a headlight modulator since some drivers might think I'm flashing them to go ahead and turn in front of me.

Thanks for the reminder. I often carefully trundle up to the front of an intersection between lanes of stopped cars, a). because you can here in California and b). it's a nice safe place to be.

I'm always watching my mirrors. One other thing to consider - the attitude of the car behind you communicates a lot. If the nose is down hard, indicating a panic (or near panic) braking situation, I'm looking for a place to go.
I had one of those a few months back. He was skidding his tires stopping. I made a quick move to the right but always wondered after that - what if he had gone right too? But I'm thinking most motorists just lock 'em up and hope for the best, eh?

Anyway- I just wanted to float that reminder out there - if you don't already do it, get in the habit of a glance at the mirrors when slowing.
Cheers,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts