Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather than cluttering Decosse' amazing thread (YET! ;)) I wanted to ask this question:

Given the 1050 Speed Trip now comes equipped with USD forks from the factory, has anyone attempted to fit these to an early (or current) Sprint?

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Rather than cluttering Decosse' amazing thread (YET! ;)) I wanted to ask this question:

Given the 1050 Speed Trip now comes equipped with USD forks from the factory, has anyone attempted to fit these to an early (or current) Sprint?
Thanks Gearhead good idea mate.

This will bump you to the top again;)

DaveM:cool:

·
Super Moderator
21,183 Posts
.... Given the 1050 Speed Trip now comes equipped with USD forks from the factory, has anyone attempted to fit these to an early (or current) Sprint?
Well, as I stated in the other thread, anything is possible really - it comes down to how much customization and $$$ you want to throw at it.
A couple of pluses I can think of would be the the top clamp lends itself nicely without any mods and the rotors are same pitch and diameter. The forks themselves are questionable performance-wise is my understanding however.
I'm not sure of the pitch between the fork legs at the axle, so it may be difficult to integrate the speedo drive of the earlier model (without modification) - but that remains to be seen.
Probably the biggest detractor would be availability and associated cost of even the Triumph parts, let alone the custom parts.
There are literally dozens of GSXR and Hayabusa forks (and reasonable availability of TL) on EBay on any given day, while I don't believe I have EVER seen a Triumph set. The Suzukis are frequently broken purely for parts resale (without being wrecked) or for race take-offs - I don't see either of those applying to Triumph and that leaves wrecks, again rare to begin with and strong likelihood of fork damage.
The things that have been done for my own Speed Triple GSXR conversion (see signature) would actually be identical for a Sprint. (You'll see in the other thread I've already done a few of those on Sprints)
GSXR units are certainly plentiful & affordable. The detractor there is the custom parts required with their again associated cost. But I would still believe that would be more cost-effective and better performance-wise than the S3 unit.
The reason I propose the TL/Hayabusa option is I believe it offers the best all-round performance/$ and actual ease of integration with minimal/simple customization.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts