Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
Just stumbled onto this. I have been in 18yrs next month. I am in Aviation. I ride a 2012 Thruxton, 1973 CB350four (Cafe), and I am building a 1980 CB650 into a cafe as well. If anyone in the area wants to ride let me know.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey everyone,
Just stumbled onto this. I have been in 18yrs next month. I am in Aviation. I ride a 2012 Thruxton, 1973 CB350four (Cafe), and I am building a 1980 CB650 into a cafe as well. If anyone in the area wants to ride let me know.
Welcome to the "Great Place!". Good to hear from you. Do you have any pics of the CB350 or CB650? I'm in Army Aviation as well, riding a red 2007 Thruxton. Good times.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm retired MI, that's why I ride a T-100 with sporting mods. Ha Ha, I didn't leave anything in Killeen that I need to go back for. Holler at me here in VA, little bit south of DC.

·
Registered
382 Posts
You have to be real careful about hurting the HD guys feelings, they are starting to lose some of the "Favorite Native Son" status they have enjoyed since the Eisenhower administration. They are feeling the social pressure of Indian and Victory, with a twinge of salt from Eric Buell Racing.

Let me say I do like HD and have owned HD products, I hope they sell a million bikes and the new direction of the Street 500/750 and livewire shows real forward thinking.

Enjoy the Hill country and make plans for Moto GP in Austin next year. I'm coming down/over for that and will keep an eye out. you should consider the Triumph Rat Raid in NC next September, it is worth the trip.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Hey everyone,
Take care of the charging system on that CB650...I went thru some misery getting mine to charge well...stators die, there is a guy that rewinds them, will look for the email.....still have some bits and pieces of mine, I will dig it up and let you know, maybe something of interest....the wife would love more space for her "stuff" and less of my "junk" around....postage would be the only cost.

Derswede

·
Administrator
19,460 Posts
I have been in Army Aviation my entire adult life. Helicopter mechanic, production manager, I even flew UAV's in Afghanistan for a few years, now working in a cubicle farm in Huntsville, Alabama. Only three years in the Army, the remaining twenty five years. I suppose I will be one of those grouchy old bastards who can't let go twenty years from now...

If any of you fine gentlemen find yourselves in the area I know a few very good local taprooms...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry I never replied

To those of you that replied to my post- Sorry! I just started to receive emails about your replies. I clicked the little box that read Thread Subscription- Daily Email Notification. Well, nothing is perfect and it's electronic. Either way, Thank you all.

Bullittman- I am still here. And we just bought my wife a Harley 48.
So, if you are back let's hang out.

Reddragonwagon- Attached e a few pictures of the garage toys. And her new bike.

Southman_70- Those Thunderbirds are nice cruisers. I heard they were very stable and easy to take a nap on while riding because it is so smooth. If you want to ride some time let me know.

Vecchio_Lupo- I will probably never be in VA. But, I heard it is beautiful riding. Enjoy it enough for both of us. I have started riding with the Austin RAT pack. They are a great group of individuals.
I used to have the same feelings about Harleys. My Dad and Uncle had them and the poor attitude of some Harley riders is pathetic. I was asked by one- "When are you going to buy a real bike?" My reply was when are you going to afford more than one? And I have three bikes and a '29 Model A! He said oh did I hurt your feelings. I laughed and said no you are just a wannabe 1% bike club president Staff Sergeant. I laughed and walked into our DIV HQ. Funny, he never talked to me again.

Derswede- I haven't touched that 650 in a couple of years. Thanks for the heads up. I am planning on a teardown this winter.

Sean Patrick- I will probably be the same. But about the dumbass drivers that are in the Military town I decided to retire in.

Attachments

·
Administrator
19,460 Posts
Ron at would be great. I am a fair weather rider though I hate riding in the cold being from the Caribbean.
Sir, I move farther south everytime I move. Here I am in Alabama, and it is still cold! Time to buy full riding leathers...

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am starting to see more Triumphs on post and in the local area lately. Which is good of course because for the longest time I thought I was a lone wolf in the area.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have been in Army Aviation my entire adult life. Helicopter mechanic, production manager, I even flew UAV's in Afghanistan for a few years, now working in a cubicle farm in Huntsville, Alabama. Only three years in the Army, the remaining twenty five years. I suppose I will be one of those grouchy old bastards who can't let go twenty years from now...

If any of you fine gentlemen find yourselves in the area I know a few very good local taprooms...
damn, just found this thread. Dropped an aircraft off in Huntsville Tuesday.

·
Registered
382 Posts
letting go is the hardest thing. I still can't (sometimes I forget and that's good) , retirement was one of the worst things that has happened to me. I looked forward to it until about a year after it happened. Even with groups like the VFW and American Legion, which are wonderful organizations, you wind up disconnected. Enough of that, just enjoy every nite of it.

People used to ask what I liked best about the Army. I said it was like never having to leave the 3rd grade. Farts are funny, bad jokes are everywhere and wrestling solves most conflicts. I have seen very very senior service members partake in all of these activities.

BTW: Im in germany while wifey works for uncle sugar, sold my T100 (instant regret) picked up a 955 sprint st to flog and tour on, it gat liberated from me in the UK. I built a CRK cafe kit on a 96 sprint 900 frame, great fun and good times. Naked bikes help me avoid the dreaded traffic control cameras.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Uncle Sugar is a reference to Uncle Sam, aka, the US government. Military folks started saying stuff came from, or “thanks” to Uncle Sugar because basically everything our military has gotten dropped to them/issued has a big US stamped on it. Allegedly long ago the term was coined when a soldier got something he was told it came from Uncle Sugar.
note: lots of vodka has been consumed. Details may have been slurred

1 - 18 of 18 Posts