Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mid life (or old age as my son prefers) is getting the best of me.

Next year, 2017, I’m shipping my TBird LT to the US from home, Isle of Wight UK, to do a coast to coast trip.

Now here’s the rub. I don’t know whether to do East to West or vice versa, what the best time of year is, what route to take etc. I’ll allow 3 - 4 weeks. Is this enough?

I want as many ideas as possible from any nationality as to what the best route would be.

Nothing against the southern half of that fine country but I’d prefer any route above a line linking LA to Atlanta. Far too hot and steamy for me down there!

My plan at present is Seattle to New York via Oregon, Montana, Dakota, Nebraska, Kentucky & West Virginia. I like mountains, vistas, but not too remote as my wife will be sat behind me and doesn’t do “basic"

If you know a better route please let me know.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
If you know a better route please let me know.

Thanks.
I would have thought to end in the West, the Pacific Coast Highway and all of the west coast are pretty stunning, a perfect way to end a trip. I also wouldn't discount some of the South. See my ride report from Tennessee, North Carolina and Virginia. Those states have some stunning riding and scenery and I definitely felt there were plenty of opportunities to avoid "basic" the whole way. I'd also consider starting in the East, riding up through New England and then over through the Canadian Rockies then down the West Coast.

·
Registered
10 Posts
First off; great adventure and great idea to give the trip 3-4 weeks! When I took my Detroit-Sacramento-Detroit ride I tried to limit the days ride to two tanks of gas, roughly 350 miles. This allowed for a reasonable departure time each day, a leisurely lunch and numerous stops at points-of-interest/photo ops.

Re: direction: who wants to ride in the rain? Weather systems move roughly west-to-east and it seems easier, to me, to avoid low pressure systems from behind so I'd recommend a west to east crossing. This approach only works if you have flexibility in your routing, so I'd recommend having several routes/destinations in mind and firm up your plan after you have the latest weather info.

Re: time of year: if your planned route is expected to be north of Interstate 70 (I-70) I wouldn't begin until the 2nd-3rd week of June. I'll let the Colorado, Wyoming and Montana riders comment on the best time to cross the Continental Divide.

Re: routing: there's almost no wrong answer but, unless you're transiting a major city, stay off the Interstates (equivalent to UK's Motorways) . They're great roads for making time but pretty sterile. I like the US highways (similar to the UK's "A" roads) but many state and county roads (UK "B" roads) offer quiet tree lined cruising but with the requisite stop lights and 55mph speed limit.

I'm not sure how much touring you've done in the U. S. but if this is your first visit you might want to connect various iconic "American" sites: Golden Gate Bridge, speed trials at the Bonneville Salt Flats, Yellowstone National Park, the Grand Canyon, Pikes Peak, Mt Rushmore, a major/minor league baseball game, The Great Lakes, The Blue Ridge Parkway, etc. If it's all about the scenery check out travelandleisure.com and link several of their "most scenic" roads. If it's canyon carving you're looking for checkout discovery.com's list of Best Motorcycling Roads in America.

There you have it, one man's opinion. Enjoy the planning and keep us informed.

6T-100

P. S. The question you posted has me thinking about retracing the old airmail route, San Fransisco-Long Island. I guess I have some planning to do too.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Have you considered renting a bike here?

Having shipped a bike from here the England I would never ship a personal bike again over seas.

Dozens of bike rental shops both coasts. Mostly HD, BMW, some Triumph but may be worth a look.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts