Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, me and two mates will be doing a coast to coast in USA in summer 2012. It will be most likely rentals, and there are basically all makes, tyes and models of bikes available for a one way from LA to Florida, thru many rental companies, from Los Angeles.
Any suggestion for what type of bike should we aim for?
Main priorities are comfort and reliability.
This will be all along interstate 40, so it's a very straight road..
Has anyone else here done a coast to coast and feels like sharing some suggestion on this kind of trip?
Thanks in advance.

·
30,035 Posts
Oh man - such a great opportunity and you're going to just go along I-40?

There are many other routes to take that will show you so much more.

If you're just going to sit on I-40 get a gold wing, or a car. :D

Really - I'd consider getting off that path and then maybe consider a sprint or similar. Or a Tiger. The sprint and Tiger would handle I-40 easily of course. Actually most modern bikes will, but it kind of depends what type of bike you like.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
My suggestion? Stay off the superslab as much as you can. I-40 can be pretty harsh in summer. The distances are so great out West that investing a few extra days or miles on 2-lanes will make a huge difference in your perceptions of this county.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
If I was going to confine myself to going cross county on the interstate, I just wouldn't even bother. There is so much more to see and experience by taking secondary highways. When we just go to the beach or the mountains on our bikes we always take the back roads.

If you were going to take the interstate, then I would go with one of the Harley Road Glide or Road King type bikes. If you decided to take more back roads then i would go with a sport touring bike like a BMW, Triumph [of course] or any of the good Japanese ST bikes. Even on one of the Harleys the back roads would be pretty fun.

On a trip such as this the cool thing about a Harley is that there is a Harley dealership in almost every podunk little town across America.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, great suggestions.
Time available is about 2 weeks.
Any alternative route you would suggest instead of I40?
We would like to stay on the southern US parts as much as possible, from LA to Miami.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Is this a one way ride or out and back? If it's out and back I imagine you'd have to slab a big portion of it in that time frame. If it's a ride out and fly back 2 weeks will give you plenty of time to take secondary roads.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I'd take a mix of superslab and byways. Head out to Prescott (hwy89A is very tasty) then 89 to the Grand Canyon then to Shiprock, Taos, Springer in NM .... Dalhart, Amarillo, Oklahoma City, Ft Smith, AK (superslab). Then to Texarkana on 71, Shreveport, Natchez, Baton Rouge. On to Mobile, Pensacola, Panama City, Tampa, Sarasota, Ft Meyers, across Alligator Alley to Miami.

That is of course unless the flooding along the Mississippi is too bad.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
If I was going to confine myself to going cross county on the interstate, I just wouldn't even bother. There is so much more to see and experience by taking secondary highways.
+1
We avoid the slab like the plague. Boring!
You can find some nice US Highways that vary from super-twisty to easy cruising roads.
You might also be surprised how good time you can make on some secondary roads with little traffic and lots of scenery.
Have a great trip.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Take bikes like these

Just kidding. Like everyone else I'd say stay off the motorway/Highway/Interstate thing. Do the back roads.

We're crossing France and Germany to Czech republic end of next month. We're avoiding all the autobahns. Theres four of us, One thruxton, One Bonnie, One Ducati Monster750, One MZ Skorpion 600cc. TBH I think you could do the trip on anything. A swish fast modern bike might be less fun than something not so obvious.

I MEAN LOOK AT THESE GUYS.:eek:They did it on pre 1916 motorcycles!

http://motorcyclecannonball.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=28

·
Registered
401 Posts
I did that trip...from NC to CA, then up and down CA, then back on my Thruxton.

No interstates going west, but some coming back.

I did the whole thing in a little over 3 weeks.

Try not to set yourself up on too much of a schedule. It will get you in a hurry, or make you stress out over some imagined deadline. This can suck out some of the fun of the journey. You'll also miss out on some pretty neat stuff.

I tried to buy fuel at local gas stations. This gave me a chance to speak with locals and discover cool local scenes.

Take more pictures than you think you should.

Keep a journal.

Keep dry socks.

-simpson

·
Registered
10,282 Posts
Request free state maps from the relevant state governments and tourist agencies. Many, including Maryland and Virginia, have specialized "scenic byways" maps.

I think that AAA maps also highlight scenic routes, if you're a member or know someone who is.

These two sources would provide a wealth of armchair planning information, and a compass on the handlebar would keep you going in a more or less easterly direction.

Then there's GPS, but I haven't used it enough to comment.

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
At the minimum, I'd say ride along old rt 66, as it parallels I40 for almost half the country. At least that way you'd see the towns that are America.

Sent from my iPhone;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts