Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Have noticed a little bit of an issue this morning, and was wondering if anyone out there might be able to assist (Have also posted on the yahoo group, so appologies for duplication if anyone is there also).

Ok - So i filled up this morning (Before the budget and the government ripping us off in tax again). Parked up at work (around a mile further on from the fuel station). Got a call 10 mins later - "there's oil leaking from your bike".

So, toddled down to find what looked like an oil leak. On closer inspection it seems to be fuel, however looks like oil and fuel mix, unless it's just picked up the dirt on the way down...

Now, this happened on Saturday also. However it's not happened before. And it's only after a fill (as mentioned, this was around 1/2 to 1 mile after filling). Bike is on it's sidestand. Temp has raised this week, however hot a huge amount. And i purposely didnt neck it when filling up....

An ideas where to start?

Thanks for any assistance guys - much appreicated

Paul

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Looks like it's dripping off the swing arm onto the floor - Will try to localise the source later, though it's not anywhere obvious :(

Paul

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Andrew,

Many thanks :) Question would be - would this only happen on a fresh fill??

Paul

·
Registered
348 Posts
Petcock. Fuel running along surfaces and washing chain oil off guard and swing arm.
Check oil to see if it is contaminated with gas. Not good.
You probably thought of this, couldn't help but respond!

Carry on!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Petcock. Fuel running along surfaces and washing chain oil off guard and swing arm.
Check oil to see if it is contaminated with gas. Not good.
You probably thought of this, couldn't help but respond!

Carry on!
Yup, i'm sure it's Gas and oil. EDIT - ahh, sorry, misunderstood - I'll check the dipstick, however i did look earlier and couldnt see any sign of gas in the oil - any ideas on the easiest way to check?

Interestingly enough though, i has a 20 mile journey home, sat as was earlier, on the sidestand, and nothing - not even a drip....

:suspicious:

Paul

·
Registered
218 Posts
coolant?

Last year I rode to work several times and the picture you have there looks like my bike. Judging from the location of the leak ? It most likely is coolant. I found the nylon L on the coolant lines had cracked. It broke on a charity ride and the bike overheated. I had to leave the ride and go to Pep Boys to get a new T and improvised with a cap and Honda coolant. The fairings had to come off and fill the bike through the radiator . Sealed the system again. Embarassing and a major PITA. :eek: Joe

·
Registered
348 Posts
Intermittent fuel leak. Not a hose they don't self seal. Use your nose first.
Gravity puts alot of pressure on the lowest point of the tank, especially when the tank is full. On the sige stand that's the petcock
I'm just guessing. Coolant wouldn't mix with oil.

Carry on!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just finished replacing the fuel petcock assembly. What I noticed on the old one was it appeared to start "leaking" (not as much as what you show) slightly at the joints. Also, the diaphram in the assembly itself was ripped upon further inspection. If it is this assembly - get a new one.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Same thing happened on mine - turned out to be collapsed vacuum tube holding vacuum at the petcock, fuel was then able to seep past the float needles in the carbs and had fuel getting into the airbox and out the drain pipe - also caused vapour lock in cylinders - new length of better tube cured it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts