Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like an idiot I left my key in the bike today and drained the battery. The new rescue service came and started the bike for me and I took it out on the motorway for half an hour. When I got home I thought ok I'll double check its got charge and tried to start it, only to find it doesn't quite have enough to get it started, so another call...

Thing is I need to use it in the morning to take it to its service and then straight to a job interview...so the question is, if I get it jump started again and take it out, how long does it take to get it charged enough to start?

·
Registered
523 Posts
I am sure if I am wrong someone will correct me. If you drained your battery to low you may have actually killed your battery.. The body shop did that for me last winter and I had to buy a new battery because it would not hold a charge as well as it did before.

Good luck but I am afraid to say you are probably looking at a new battery.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, well, that'll teach me for doing that, though the guy who started it did say he had had problems with the make of battery I had, and that it shoudl at least charge.

Anyway, tomorrow its going for its service so I'm praying that the guy I'm taking it to has a battery there he can put in then. I'll get it jump started in the morning and head to his place, hoping I have enough petrol to get there.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While on the topic, I keep hearing about battery chargers and tenders and stuff.

Some seem very fancy, are they able to rescue a empty battery are they really just there to keep bikes juiced up that dont get run every day?

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
The "Battery Tender", a brand name commonly used, will not "rescue" a dead battery as such. It will maintain your battery in an optimum state of charge, however. There are forum members with a much more concise understanding of the mysteries of electricity that you should solicit. I'm the guy whose house got hit by lightning and burned to the ground a number of years ago, and I still don't understand why my lights go on when I flip a switch...

denoose

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
Nice manual OnD. Just printed it out. Thanx

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
I refer to it every time Calliway shares his battery knowledge with us, in hopes of tripping him up. ;)

So far, there have been no conflicts, so I guess the manual is correct. :D

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
ztolley,

Seriously draining a 'starting' battery will almost always cause a drastic reduction in its remaining service life.

Hopefully you made it to the garage, and have a new battery when you read this.

I'm a big fan of the cTek charger. It keeps my battery topped up, and it doesn't get hot. Or even warm. Which makes me think I'm not wasting electricity. I bought the small one, as I use it only on the Sprint.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After it was first jump started and didn't manage to charge enough after 45 mins I took the sensible decision and in the morning I jump started it again and took it to my mechanic and got a new one put in while he the other little bits it needed.

So, lesson learned, if you completely drain a bike battery dont try to rescue it, get another... it's not like they cost a fortune and better safe than sorry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts