Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 triumph tiger rally pro
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
still in lock down so headed out for local ride 50/50 off road &road unfortunately put in down on left side approx 40-50 klms l think there abouts l thought l’d fork out extra $ on the tank crash bars as on the rally pro already has the lower ones as supplied To my surprise when finally standing bike up the lower crash bars were push in as well the upper bars push in that much they dented in the tank also pushed front spot light & bracket against front side panel left deep scratches and painfully snapped of front beak clean off with my ribs just a awkward get off can’t complain 2 nd one in 33 years and lm sitting down on my couch typing this rant. and not in hospital Just so pissed off how rubbish this so called crash protection bars are Sorry about this big sook up but has anyone got any info or could recommend bars that do what they supposed to do 😩
9DA074F2-4905-4B53-ABD0-5E74B67CB6B7.jpeg ppl

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sorry to hear about your crash. Whenever you go down at those speeds there is bound to be damage no matter what. Unfortunately there is quite a bit of information out there about the stock crash bars denting tanks when hitting the ground. Be sure to check out all the forums and Facebook groups.

I am using the T-Rex Racing upper crash bars and they are very sturdy. I've had the bike down in off-road situations with them and their still perfect.

FWIW, I am also a big advocate of their skid plate. No mounting points on the sump and it is quite beefy.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
If I was looking at after market I’d go straight to Hepco & Becker. I had them in my 800. I bought them off a mate who’d written off two Tigers, each one with these actual bars fitted. In both cases the tank was undamaged.The bars were a bit scratched up and the top mount needed straightening but that was it. On my bike they hit the ground a few times, once at speed, and only needed a touch up. Tank was unmarked; only one indicator broken. I assume they ones for the 900 are just as good.

I have the Triumph ones on my Rally Pro and so far haven’t tested them. 🤞

48CBFD45-F058-4988-879B-52B07C216211.jpeg
ACAC8A37-42B3-49BF-BDD2-BAE3CB6DB433.jpeg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to hear about your crash. Whenever you go down at those speeds there is bound to be damage no matter what. Unfortunately there is quite a bit of information out there about the stock crash bars denting tanks when hitting the ground. Be sure to check out all the forums and Facebook groups.

I am using the T-Rex Racing upper crash bars and they are very sturdy. I've had the bike down in off-road situations with them and their still perfect.

FWIW, I am also a big advocate of their skid plate. No mounting points on the sump and it is quite beefy.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Thank you for your reply l will be checking out that brand you mentioned the t-Rex and have a look at the Heco &becker they certainly look a lot stronger l guess one thing I’ll be making sure that next set off crash bars aren’t sitting at the same height and in line with the outer edge of the tank Thanks again 👍

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I was looking at after market I’d go straight to Hepco & Becker. I had them in my 800. I bought them off a mate who’d written off two Tigers, each one with these actual bars fitted. In both cases the tank was undamaged.The bars were a bit scratched up and the top mount needed straightening but that was it. On my bike they hit the ground a few times, once at speed, and only needed a touch up. Tank was unmarked; only one indicator broken. I assume they ones for the 900 are just as good.

I have the Triumph ones on my Rally Pro and so far haven’t tested them. 🤞

View attachment 757427 View attachment 757428
Thanks for your reply I’ll certainly be checking them out l had oem bars on my 1200 adv bmw put in down once slow on the road and only lost a bit of paint should of know with the limited mounting points giving it way to much flex l think the cost of the tank and nose cone will distract me for a while before the next set of bars 😩👍

·
Registered
Tiger 900 Rally Pro
242 Posts
I have the OEM bars.To be honest, I look at them as an esthetic update (and a good place to mount the fog lights) rather than protection.
It seems that manufacturers are going for looks instead of protection. Honda does the same with the upper bars for the Africa Twin, officially they are not sold as protection but as light bars. Many reviewers mentioned that after the press release.

If it makes sense to do so is debatable. But let’s just hope one doesn‘t drop the bike too often (or never….).
If Cororna allows, I’m going on a roadtrip through Europe this summer. I’m pretty sure I will drop the bike in some hairpin curve during the 2,5 weeks trip. I’ll let you know how the bars/tank will react…..

·
Registered
Tiger 900 GT Pro
387 Posts
Sorry to hear about the drop. Rib injuries are no fun, so hope you heal up quickly.

If you plan to replace the bars, check out some of the other posts on this forum. I linked to a brand in a post some months ago where they pull the bike over and along the ground to check their level of protetction. I think one reply to that thread was that those bars mount in such a way that they could break the alloy of the motor somewhere when dropped. Others suggested a few other brands. That's probably worth checking out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to hear about the drop. Rib injuries are no fun, so hope you heal up quickly.

If you plan to replace the bars, check out some of the other posts on this forum. I linked to a brand in a post some months ago where they pull the bike over and along the ground to check their level of protetction. I think one reply to that thread was that those bars mount in such a way that they could break the alloy of the motor somewhere when dropped. Others suggested a few other brands. That's probably worth checking out.
Thank you very much I’ll be sure to check it out 👍

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the OEM bars.To be honest, I look at them as an esthetic update (and a good place to mount the fog lights) rather than protection.
It seems that manufacturers are going for looks instead of protection. Honda does the same with the upper bars for the Africa Twin, officially they are not sold as protection but as light bars. Many reviewers mentioned that after the press release.

If it makes sense to do so is debatable. But let’s just hope one doesn‘t drop the bike too often (or never….).
If Cororna allows, I’m going on a roadtrip through Europe this summer. I’m pretty sure I will drop the bike in some hairpin curve during the 2,5 weeks trip. I’ll let you know how the bars/tank will react…..
Your probably spot on have a great trip and a safe one 👍🙏 rubber side down

1 - 9 of 9 Posts