Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in case Triumph does not upgrade the brakes on the Bonneville for 2016 I want to start looking into the cost and possibility of upgrading the brakes on my T100. Who has done what and with which system? I would like to upgrade both the front and rear brakes. Does anyone know of a good shop in NJ who can do the work?
Thanks.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Just in case Triumph does not upgrade the brakes on the Bonneville for 2016 I want to start looking into the cost and possibility of upgrading the brakes on my T100. Who has done what and with which system? I would like to upgrade both the front and rear brakes. Does anyone know of a good shop in NJ who can do the work?
Thanks.

Brembo front brake kit from Free Spirit. They also do a Brembo rear brake kit but I don't have it yet. The rotor is larger than stock and although it's a tight fit on my wheel it would be better on a stock wheel. I fitted it myself as it's pretty easy to do apart from bleeding it which is time consuming to get right.

Cost was somewhere around AU$900 but we pay a lot for parts and I imagine it would be cheaper in the US.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Brembo front brake kit from Free Spirit. They also do a Brembo rear brake kit but I don't have it yet. The rotor is larger than stock and although it's a tight fit on my wheel it would be better on a stock wheel. I fitted it myself as it's pretty easy to do apart from bleeding it which is time consuming to get right.

Cost was somewhere around AU$900 but we pay a lot for parts and I imagine it would be cheaper in the US.
Thanks. I didn't know there was a kit for the rear wheel.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I used Pretech 6pot caliper & floating disc worked great, but it is laying around in my garage somewhere as I now have this twin radial setup (not straight forward replacement)

·
3,100 Posts
I used Pretech 6pot caliper & floating disc worked great, but it is laying around in my garage somewhere as I now have this twin radial setup (not straight forward replacement)
That's so friggen sick, love it

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
the pretech 6 piston caliper is a direct fit + works great with OE master on my 12 magged wheel bonnie, i required a new brake line with different fitting at the caliper. its soooo good as you will prolly need to upgrade the forks from excessive dive!!!! here's a pic with an EBC floating rotor.
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have the Pretech 6 pot brake on my 2010 Thruxton. Am extremely satisfied, - so much better control. I also had a local shop make up a new brake hose assembly when I installed mine and the combo looks fantastic. No other changes as far as my brakes go. Bleeding takes a little bit of time, but no big deal, - just follow the instructions.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Another vote for the Pretech 6 pot front brake. Mine's on a 2011 SE, and the braking is so much better than stock.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Even if all you did was the EBC floating rotor and some HH pads you would notice a decent improvement for small money, but I have found nothing improved braking more than sticky tires.
Switch to Sport Demons or Dunlop 501s and you will be amazed at the improved braking power. I have never had a hard time locking up the front brake, which tells me that the brakes are adequate, but I would prefer a tire that doesn't slide so easily. Softer compound front tire solved that pretty quick, and the reality is that your tires have to stop the bike, and there's plenty of clamping force to lock the front tire. The rest is how it feels to the operator, how it handles fade, and how easily modulated the caliper is.
Try inexpensive changes first, and see how you like it. But spending 1/7th the cost of the bike on a caliper and disc improvement seems nuts to me.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Even if all you did was the EBC floating rotor and some HH pads you would notice a decent improvement for small money, but I have found nothing improved braking more than sticky tires.
Switch to Sport Demons or Dunlop 501s and you will be amazed at the improved braking power. I have never had a hard time locking up the front brake, which tells me that the brakes are adequate, but I would prefer a tire that doesn't slide so easily. Softer compound front tire solved that pretty quick, and the reality is that your tires have to stop the bike, and there's plenty of clamping force to lock the front tire. The rest is how it feels to the operator, how it handles fade, and how easily modulated the caliper is.
Try inexpensive changes first, and see how you like it. But spending 1/7th the cost of the bike on a caliper and disc improvement seems nuts to me.
You bring up a good point about spending 1/7th of the cost of the bike on upgrading the brakes. The answer may be to do nothing and see what the 2016 models look like.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
a little tip!! my pretech caliper came with organic pads which did not work up to expectations, enter ebc HH pads for real stopping power

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Even if all you did was the EBC floating rotor and some HH pads you would notice a decent improvement for small money,... I have never had a hard time locking up the front brake/QUOTE]

Great post, I do need a new rotor at 70,000 km. I ride as fast as I dare and as primitive as these brakes are, they are up to the task if you prefer to flow.

And thanks all for words on Pretech 6's for possible next step up. ;)

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
There is also the cheap mid grade upgrade of the Honda Nissin 3 piston caliper swap...
But a Pretech of Harris 6 piston is a great brake, they do work with the stock master cylinder but using a Rocket 3 or twin disc Speedmaster unit makes them even sweeter.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well if that's pointed in my direction I will say that I'm running Diablo Rosso II tyres on the front and they are fairly sticky though they would have been fine with the stock rotor. I would agree that the stock brakes considering the performance of the bike are fine as they are. I don't really see the need to upgrade them. I like bling and gold Brembo brakes fit that category. Do I think you need them? No. As you say the stock brakes are fine and I've never had a moment when I thought they were insufficient.

Since the question was asked though I threw out the brake mod I have. I agree with you. There are more important things than upgrading the brakes. The dodgy suspension and the truly awful stock front tyre being two of them. They will make far more difference than replacing the already quite good front brake.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
if anyone wants stock, heres my 710 mile OE front 2012 mag wheel rotor, $90 delivered in USA excluding hawaii + alaska of course. caliper pictured not included but available. was in the ads a time ago, prolly outdated now
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
924 Posts
Well I've had experience of both the Pretech and Berringer 6 pots. Both with braking wave disc which is a massive improvement on its own. However if you plan on doing engine mods I would bypass the Pretech as the Berringer and Speed triple master are the mutts nuts. Much more expensive but well worth it if you chase 600 sports bikes. No internal mods don't bother, pretech and braking wave disc will be fine.

Rear is best with organic brake pads and standard caliper. It's over braked as is. If you want bling go for the braking wave rear rotor.

Chris.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts