Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just extracted the engine in my '09 S3 for the second time, and I'm about to open up the cases for the first time. Someone decided to snack on a gear about 1000 miles after I had last removed the engine...

I swapped out the timing chain on my last removal since I had about 60k miles on it, any recommendations for other things to do while I'm in there hunting down destroyed gears?

I also seem to have a broken detent spring retainer plate - odd, since I was fixing shifting issues last time and found this piece to be broken along with some other excessively worn linkage parts. Any ideas as to what could cause this?

Here she is just a few miles before I lost a gear... hope to get her back out on the road again soon, any help is appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
435 Posts
Nice bike :)

That's weird on braking the retainer plate twice, I assume you tightened it to the correct torque etc? Also are you doing lots of aggressive shifting at all? I'd have a look at what that plate butts up against behind the shift star, maybe there's some play which is beating the plate into pieces?

On stuff to do while your engine is in pieces, here's a couple of ideas:
  • Go over your oil pump with feeler gauges since you've had shrapnel floating around.
  • Check the shift drum and forks with feeler gauges as well, they may be worn which would contribute to sloppy shifting.
  • Check the condition of your crankshaft main journals and bearing shells (if you check the big ends you'll need to replace the con rod bolts and nuts, pricey).
  • If you're taking the head off then give the piston crowns and combustion chamber a good clean to get rid of the carbon build up.
  • Have a look at your alternator rotor retaining bolt (#3 on this diagram). At some point Triumph introduced one which has a tiny hole down the centre which sprays oil onto the stator from a hole in the main journal on the crankshaft. Might be worth swapping out to the later bolt (T3330833) if you don't have one to keep your stator a little cooler, every little helps!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice bike :)

That's weird on braking the retainer plate twice, I assume you tightened it to the correct torque etc? Also are you doing lots of aggressive shifting at all? I'd have a look at what that plate butts up against behind the shift star, maybe there's some play which is beating the plate into pieces?

On stuff to do while your engine is in pieces, here's a couple of ideas:
  • Go over your oil pump with feeler gauges since you've had shrapnel floating around.
  • Check the shift drum and forks with feeler gauges as well, they may be worn which would contribute to sloppy shifting.
  • Check the condition of your crankshaft main journals and bearing shells (if you check the big ends you'll need to replace the con rod bolts and nuts, pricey).
  • If you're taking the head off then give the piston crowns and combustion chamber a good clean to get rid of the carbon build up.
  • Have a look at your alternator rotor retaining bolt (#3 on this diagram). At some point Triumph introduced one which has a tiny hole down the centre which sprays oil onto the stator from a hole in the main journal on the crankshaft. Might be worth swapping out to the later bolt (T3330833) if you don't have one to keep your stator a little cooler, every little helps!
Thanks!

Everything was torqued properly when I reassembled it, the shift star is pretty well stuck on its bearing at the moment so I'll see if I can free that up - it all felt like it was working pretty well for the thousand or so miles I had it running since it went back together.

I'm planning on keeping the head on if I'm able to, had the camshafts out last time so if I can leave the top end alone hopefully this will go a little quicker! I'll definitely check the specs on the oil pump and shift drum though, planned on doing that last time but I managed to avoid splitting the cases when I found the worn linkage components. I'll check out the rotor retaining bolt too, I've had electrical issues in the past so I'll take whatever help I can get in avoiding that again!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Oh I thought of something else, you should take your oil pickup off and give it a good blow out from the top to flush out any metal fragments that may be stuck in the mesh :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh I thought of something else, you should take your oil pickup off and give it a good blow out from the top to flush out any metal fragments that may be stuck in the mesh :)
Good call, I replaced it on my last rebuild but I'll make sure it's all cleaned out again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts