Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to uprate rear brake on 99 Daytona 955.Question probably asked before but am new to this forum.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
You can upgrade the master cylinder by replacing the stock unit with one from a used Kawasaki that has the proper mounting hole arrangement. The stock mc has a bore diameter of I believe 14mm. The Kawasaki uses a bore of 12mm or ~1/2". The larger bore gives you a firmer more wooden feel, but needing more push to achieve the same force as a smaller bore would provide. The smaller bore from the Kawa would feel a bit more spongy but provide better braking with less force or in terms of these early 955 Daytona, a working rear brake. I don't think adding a different caliper if you could would do anything. Of course, servicing the caliper and cleaning would also help with better pads.
When I bought my T595('98) used, I thought there was no rear brake at all. I suppose Triumph didn't want a powerful rear brake on this bike since it was a sport bike. BMW is also known for having rather anemic rear brakes. It would be nice though to be able to stop on a hill using only the rear!

The stock Nissin mc shows the bore diameter stamped into the casting, a 14 within a circle. The replacement needs the mounting holes to be threaded like the stock casting. Not for through hole bolts. I believe I purchased a mc from a '92 Ninja7R. Would have to check on that.

·
Super Moderator
21,349 Posts
The larger bore gives you a firmer more wooden feel, but needing more push to achieve the same force as a smaller bore would provide. The smaller bore from the Kawa would feel a bit more spongy but provide better braking with less force or in terms of these early 955 Daytona, a working rear brake
Or more appropriately, for the same applied force from your foot, you get increased braking force at the rotor.

One of the first mods I did - stock back brake wouldn't even hold me on the slope of my driveway - the 1/2" is a nice improvement where it now 'works' without being overly aggressive.

Take a careful look at the early 90's kawasaki 750's - those are directly physically plug n play (well with a brake bleed of course); be sure that the one you are looking at has threaded holes as Felony has indicated; other Kwasaki models look the same, but have 'through' clearance (untapped) holes. I do want to think that I was looking a little while ago and found some later model smaller ninjas that possibly had similar size/config - so search around.

Also recognize you will be buying a 25+ year old cylinder so PLEASE install a new piston/seal kit and service before installing
since bleeding anyway, you might also consider installing a banjo pressure switch and eliminating that hokey OEM spring-operated switch arrangement

You probably also should service the rear caliper to be sure nothing has seized there and the pistons are moving freely - again, new seals would be good idea.

If you really feel you need even more, there is also the option to convert to the bigger Sprint Rotor/caliper kit - there is a sticky in the Speed Triple section that describes what is required there (it's actually aimed at lowering, but the process is the same, regardless of the desired primary intention)

·
Super Moderator
21,349 Posts
FYI - Rear Brake Master Cylinder Fluid Pump For Kawasaki ZX636 Ninja ZX-6R 2002-2014 | eBay

That's a Chinese knock-off - list of other models for same fitment which you can use if you want to get OEM - but for a rear brake, I would probably go with it

(Fitment 4 was the original one identified)
I'm not sure how accurate this table is (from the ebay link) - e.g. I know the 96-03 750 is NOT the correct one
But the image for that part does show the correct bore (1/2") and have the threaded holes.

fitment 1:For Kawasaki ER-6F EX650 Ninja 650 2006-2008
fitment 2:For Kawasaki ZX600 NINJA ZX-6RR 1990-2008
fitment 3:For Kawasaki ZX636 Ninja ZX-6R 2002-2014
Fitment 4:For Kawasaki ZX750 ZXR750 ZXR750R 1989-1995
Fitment 5:For Kawasaki ZX250 ZXR250 ZXR250R 1989-1999
fitment 6:For Kawasaki ZX750 Ninja ZX-7R ZX-7RR 1996-2003

The original part # from the 91-95 ZX7/ZX750 is 43015-1456 - however it may be same 'fit' as some other models, with subtle differences like colour etc

·
Registered
48 Posts
FYI - Rear Brake Master Cylinder Fluid Pump For Kawasaki ZX636 Ninja ZX-6R 2002-2014 | eBay

That's a Chinese knock-off - list of other models for same fitment which you can use if you want to get OEM - but for a rear brake, I would probably go with it

(Fitment 4 was the original one identified)
I'm not sure how accurate this table is (from the ebay link) - e.g. I know the 96-03 750 is NOT the correct one
But the image for that part does show the correct bore (1/2") and have the threaded holes.

fitment 1:For Kawasaki ER-6F EX650 Ninja 650 2006-2008
fitment 2:For Kawasaki ZX600 NINJA ZX-6RR 1990-2008
fitment 3:For Kawasaki ZX636 Ninja ZX-6R 2002-2014
Fitment 4:For Kawasaki ZX750 ZXR750 ZXR750R 1989-1995
Fitment 5:For Kawasaki ZX250 ZXR250 ZXR250R 1989-1999
fitment 6:For Kawasaki ZX750 Ninja ZX-7R ZX-7RR 1996-2003

The original part # from the 91-95 ZX7/ZX750 is 43015-1456 - however it may be same 'fit' as some other models, with subtle differences like colour etc
Decosse: Will this also work on my '97 T595?
Thanks for the great info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts