Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I just got done updating the audio firmware on my SE. Why did I do it myself? Well... let's just say that my dealer isn't exactly the most clued in person when it comes to computers...

Basically, I spent two hours waiting around at the shop today for the tech (the only Triumph tech) to complete what turns out to be truly a five minute operation (and yes, Triumph apparently gives them 0.08 hours to do this operation as a warranty item). The two hours ended up in failure, and I was sent on my way while they perform more research concerning how to do the update, since they couldn't get it to work... and left the thumb drive that I had to provide for them (I REALLY want this update, darn it! Sirius XM keeps draining my battery!) on the bike so that I could perhaps take a look and see if I could get it to work myself.

Which I did.

Turns out that the tech hadn't bothered to unzip the file on the thumb drive and actually read the instructions, because they spell out exactly how to do the procedure... which turns out to be a piece of cake. It really did take me all of five minutes to perform the procedure once I had the thumb drive set up in the way the documentation spells it out.

If anyone would like, I can list those very instructions here for you. I don't know about the legality of posting the audio firmware update, though, so I will not do that at this time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I too have one of those dealers that is clueless but mine is worse. They are not ever aware that the audio firmware update is on a thumbdrive. They just keep plugging in the OBD2 cable and saying, "it didn't update anything"

So please do send me the directions so I can take them to the dealer.
If you're so inclined to send the entire package I can avoid dealing with these folks altogether.

And FWIW a few years back somebody had a website that had every BMW service manual in PDF for free download. The only thing that happened was BMW made him take it down. It's not like you're releasing some valuable info, it's only good for TTSE owner's and is free to them anyway.

thanks

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thanks guys. I had to bring the firmware update to the attention of my dealership. Unfortunately I live in the frozen tundra of central Maine (for the moment) and I really haven't been on the bike since December. They are aware that this needs to be done. I'll keep you posted as to how it works out.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Last weekend I decided to get the Trophy out of winter storage as it appeared that the spring thaw was about to start. Earlier in the winter it appeared that the tender was working hard to keep the battery charged, so I moved it to the basement and kept it on a tender there. I popped it in the bike on April 3. All was well and I went for a little test ride. No problems. I was starting it regularly and briefly each day. On Thursday I got the dreaded no radio message and on Friday the battery is dead. This isn't the first time I've had this problem. In fact Triumph replaced the entire radio module last summer.

There are plans to have them pick up the bike and fix the firmware asap. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last weekend I decided to get the Trophy out of winter storage as it appeared that the spring thaw was about to start. Earlier in the winter it appeared that the tender was working hard to keep the battery charged, so I moved it to the basement and kept it on a tender there. I popped it in the bike on April 3. All was well and I went for a little test ride. No problems. I was starting it regularly and briefly each day. On Thursday I got the dreaded no radio message and on Friday the battery is dead. This isn't the first time I've had this problem. In fact Triumph replaced the entire radio module last summer.

There are plans to have them pick up the bike and fix the firmware asap. I'll keep you posted.
First thing I would do when you have a chance (and the radio is actually working again) would be to check the software revision for the radio. Here is the procedure (as put out by someone from a different website...):

To check the Audio Software Version :

1. Turn the ignition to ON position (don’t start the bike) and wait for the screen to display.

2. Make Sure “Radio Off” is displayed on the screen.
( If the radio is on, turn it off <Volume Down all the way to OFF>
and then turn the ignition off and back on again ).

3. Press and hold the (P) Preset button until diagnostics menu is displayed.

4. Press and release the scroll button until S/W Version is highlighted.

Early Radio Software version was 1.03A

The latest version of the software is 1.04E.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
First thing I would do when you have a chance (and the radio is actually working again) would be to check the software revision for the radio. Here is the procedure (as put out by someone from a different website...):

To check the Audio Software Version :

1. Turn the ignition to ON position (don’t start the bike) and wait for the screen to display.

2. Make Sure “Radio Off” is displayed on the screen.
( If the radio is on, turn it off <Volume Down all the way to OFF>
and then turn the ignition off and back on again ).

3. Press and hold the (P) Preset button until diagnostics menu is displayed.

4. Press and release the scroll button until S/W Version is highlighted.

Early Radio Software version was 1.03A

The latest version of the software is 1.04E.
Let me give you a little history. Brief version is that I had troubles and Triumph replaced the entire audio module last summer. I had no issues for the remainder of the riding season. However over the winter it seemed as though the battery tender was working hard to keep the battery charged. It went in the the charging mode (red light) and actually warmed up to the touch but would eventually kick over into the maintenance mode (green light). I removed the battery and brought it inside and put is on a charger. About 10 days ago I put the battery in the bike and it started right up. I went for a very short ride. Then is snowed again but I started the bike every morning for several mornings with no issues. Then last Friday it didn't start. I disconnected the battery and put it on the tender and today it did start. It gave a low oil pressure warning light that I assumed was false. I turned the bike off, waited a short while then started the bike, no low oil warning so I went for another very short ride.

I remembered these instructions and followed them. With the key in the on position. I got the message audio off - not found. I turned the key off, then back on and depressed the P button and waited and waited and waited - well over a minute. No diagnostics menu appeared. I tried again. Nothing.

Did I do something wrong? It can't find the audio module so I can't determine the firmware version?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did I do something wrong? It can't find the audio module so I can't determine the firmware version?
I don't think you have done anything wrong. The fact that the indicated message is "Audio Off - Not Found" is the clue here. With a fully charged battery, what I would suggest doing is pulling the fuse for the radio (fuse box is beneath the left-hand side panel below the rider's seat) and then re-insert it. This will reset the radio and hopefully allow it to be detected.

The message you are looking for is simply "Radio Off". If it is not found, all the button pressing isn't going to do a thing.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
This has been a verycontroversial subject over on the 1200 Trophy forum. I just can't understand why Triumph has not issued an official recall (or TSB) to address this problem. Does it make sense to continue replacing audio modules and/or batteries under warranty on all these bikes???

I did the update myself thanks to the help of a fellow Trophy owner who obtained the updated software version 1.04E. It took 2 minutes! Now, I will not have a dead battery with the ignition off while the bike is parked overnight, or for even several days, something that should NEVER happen with a previously, freshly charged battery.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Audio update

So, I just got done updating the audio firmware on my SE. Why did I do it myself? Well... let's just say that my dealer isn't exactly the most clued in person when it comes to computers...

Basically, I spent two hours waiting around at the shop today for the tech (the only Triumph tech) to complete what turns out to be truly a five minute operation (and yes, Triumph apparently gives them 0.08 hours to do this operation as a warranty item). The two hours ended up in failure, and I was sent on my way while they perform more research concerning how to do the update, since they couldn't get it to work... and left the thumb drive that I had to provide for them (I REALLY want this update, darn it! Sirius XM keeps draining my battery!) on the bike so that I could perhaps take a look and see if I could get it to work myself.

Which I did.

Turns out that the tech hadn't bothered to unzip the file on the thumb drive and actually read the instructions, because they spell out exactly how to do the procedure... which turns out to be a piece of cake. It really did take me all of five minutes to perform the procedure once I had the thumb drive set up in the way the documentation spells it out.

If anyone would like, I can list those very instructions here for you. I don't know about the legality of posting the audio firmware update, though, so I will not do that at this time.

I'd be interested in the procedure and update file...

CH

·
Registered
16 Posts
Audio Update

Many Thanks to Wells! Worked like a charm. less than 5 minutes.

The dealer in Austin claimed he did the update but when The audio cut out again I checked the firmware rev and it had not been updated. Really Pissed Off right now...

CH

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know it's been a while...

but does anyone have a copy of the software update file? I just bought a 2013 Trophy running the older software. I contacted the dealer and he refuses to let me have the software. They insist they have to perform the update and unfortunately they are more than an hour away and backed up more than 3 weeks for service appointments. The update is supposed to be small enough to attach to an email and I think 30 years in computing qualifies me for applying an update.

Thanks,

·
Registered
82 Posts
Another software request

If someone could help me out also, it would be greatly appreciated. It seems the previous owner of the bike used to have it serviced at the dealer but never bothered to have any of the known issues addressed. Oy. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Firmware help?

Hi All,

I've had my '14 Trophy for about a year now and have already replaced the battery once, and am sporadically getting messages of 'oil pressure low', 'tpms battery low', and now I've gotten the dreaded 'audio not found' message or something of the sorts. My understanding from reading this thread is that I can reset the radio by pulling the fuse and restarting the bike, then I can check the firmware version number, and then update the firmware as necessary? If anyone could please affirm that for me I would greatly appreciate it. Also, if I do need the firmware update, does anyone have a copy they'd be willing to share? Thanks in advance for the help.

Nick D.
Santa Cruz, CA

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi All,

I've had my '14 Trophy for about a year now and have already replaced the battery once, and am sporadically getting messages of 'oil pressure low', 'tpms battery low', and now I've gotten the dreaded 'audio not found' message or something of the sorts. My understanding from reading this thread is that I can reset the radio by pulling the fuse and restarting the bike, then I can check the firmware version number, and then update the firmware as necessary? If anyone could please affirm that for me I would greatly appreciate it. Also, if I do need the firmware update, does anyone have a copy they'd be willing to share? Thanks in advance for the help.

Nick D.
Santa Cruz, CA
I know that the bikes that went to the States certainly had an issue with the battery draining and a firmware update addressed that but I don't think that that cures the tpms battery low & audio not found messages.

So many owners report seeing the tpms one, here in the UK when the temp is around 20C I don't normally see it, once the cooler months come, I see it every year.
I also get the audio not found one frequently after starting the engine, I've just learnt to open the fairing pocket and unplug/plug back in the USB stick, that's the only way to hear your tunes quickly,....otherwise it can all of a sudden start playing by itself, could be 10 minutes down the road or an hour later.

Personally I think that this bike still has software issues, threshold for low battery warnings set too low maybe??
No idea on the audio not found one, obviously the sudden draw/spike from the starter motor is something to do with it??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All,

Nick D.
Santa Cruz, CA
I know that the bikes that went to the States certainly had an issue with the battery draining and a firmware update addressed that but I don't think that that cures the tpms battery low & audio not found messages.

So many owners report seeing the tpms one, here in the UK when the temp is around 20C I don't normally see it, once the cooler months come, I see it every year.
I also get the audio not found one frequently after starting the engine, I've just learnt to open the fairing pocket and unplug/plug back in the USB stick, that's the only way to hear your tunes quickly,....otherwise it can all of a sudden start playing by itself, could be 10 minutes down the road or an hour later.

Personally I think that this bike still has software issues, threshold for low battery warnings set too low maybe??
No idea on the audio not found one, obviously the sudden draw/spike from the starter motor is something to do with it??
Well, I’ve updated the firmware and haven’t had the no audio issue since..though I do get the tpms battery low warning still.. it COULD possibly be that the battery is actually low on one of the sensors..but that’s a horrendous pain to fix

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I’ve updated the firmware and haven’t had the no audio issue since..though I do get the tpms battery low warning still.. it COULD possibly be that the battery is actually low on one of the sensors..but that’s a horrendous pain to fix
I have had the TPMS battery low on both tires for a while now. I think that they have a threshold setting that is a bit too high, as they have continued to work for the past three years that I have been getting the warnings.

Unfortunately there does not appear to be anywhere that you can change that sort of setting that I know of.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts