Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

Trying to find a post on here from a while back but having no luck. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction

I'm looking again at refreshing my 2009 ST with a GT top fairing and headlight. Looking at the parts, I appear to only need the bodywork, headlight and the harness for the lights although I have some doubts about the screen.

I can pick up second hand parts easily enough so would just need to get the top fairing painted Graphite to match my bike.

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for confirming that the screen is different

I'm actually looking for the original post. I recall someone else did the conversion and thought it's be useful to reread that thread

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Hi folks

Trying to find a post on here from a while back but having no luck. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction

I'm looking again at refreshing my 2009 ST with a GT top fairing and headlight. Looking at the parts, I appear to only need the bodywork, headlight and the harness for the lights although I have some doubts about the screen.

I can pick up second hand parts easily enough so would just need to get the top fairing painted Graphite to match my bike.

Cheers
Dave
I'm curious as to where you plan to find a GT cockpit for a reasonable price.

edit: what you're looking for is here.

Fred

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Fred

I've found a top fairing that needs some repair and obviously full paint since the GT never came in Graphite. I've also found the headlight and harness so just need the screen which should be easy to source.

Everything else is the same so looks like a good winter project ...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And so it begins ...

Fairing and headlight (with harness) from a 2015 GT just ordered off Ebay. Should have them tomorrow.

Will test fit and function as soon as I can. Assuming all goes well, I'll them embark on the minor plastic repair and respray to Graphite

Cost so far is £300 ($400). Brand new parts would have been £860 and would still have needed the colour change.

Will update again when it's done

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
That's a very good works that worth my hat off (well I don't wear hat:laugh2:).
For the repair an good ABS glue should make the trick.
For respraying sand w/ a sufficient hard paper (600) and primer.
I resprayed mine and the paint is disjointing from the abs around the screws.

edit: you may use the opportunity to put leds for the main beam. I may post some pictures about the way I did is. I don't regret it. Tested it recently under heavy rain.

For the low beam, as I put a SH775 on the bike I may consider it as well. But the low beam has to stay focussed which is difficult to achieve w/ leds.

Fred

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Fred

Yes, I'm planning on changing and upgrading bulbs as it came with H7 of unknown brand and age and it's much easier done with the unit of the bike

Will take a look at LED for the main beam

Cheers

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi folks

Apologies for the lack of updates on this one. Been crazy busy and haven't had a chance to work on the bike.

However, I now have everything I need - screen arrived on Tuesday so I'll be getting going with the work from this weekend. Unfortunately it's way to cold to paint at the moment but I've still got a couple of cracks to repair in the nosecone and a couple of existing plastic repair jobs so enough to be getting on with.

I'll gather pics as I go and post updates

Total costs so far - £453

Nosecone and headlight £300
Screen £30 (in perfect as new condition)
Paint and materials £83
Headlight bulbs £40 (staying with halogen but went for Philips RacingVision)

I'm undecided if I'll keep the original parts once the job is done but I could probably get £3-400 back making this a very cheap update.

I'll also change the indicators to clear lenses but will sort that out once the job is complete

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have cut out the back of the cracks so the bodywork can be repaired. The worst crack at the mirror mount needed quite a bit of material to be removed before it would sit flat.

Tomorrow night I'll fill the damage.

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Fred.

I'm using Plastifix. Have used it on a couple of pieces already to repair broken tabs. It seems to work really well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts