Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks back I did this quick review

http://www.triumphrat.net/hinckley-...xford-x60-lifetime-panniers-quick-review.html

shortly after buying and installing them. Since then I have lowered them down somewhat by positioning all three cross straps under the seat. As I had a recent inquiry from another forum member about moving them back to allow room for a passenger, I have attached more recent photos and my comment would be that if I were to remove the spacers that hold the rear turn signals out a couple of inches from the brackets, it appears that they could easily be positioned rearwards enough that a passenger would fit fine. It would probably also look better. Note that the bag support brackets protrude several inches father back than the bags themselves. Because of the bag supports, I do not believe the bags would then block visibility of the turn signals.

Having had these bags for a while now, they are awesome. They hold a LOT. I have a 14" screen laptop in a large laptop/briefcase bag that fits completely in and the top of the bag zips completely closed. I recently took a hose using full city pressure and lots of volume through a nozzle to them while washing the bike, and NOT A DROP of water got in. I highly recommend them.

I also ended up buying another piece from the same collection, which is billed as a tail bag/tank bag. I removed the straps as I only will be using it as a tank bag, but did have to replace the anemic magnet packet that it came with using three much larger stronger magnets from an old bag. It has waterproof openings to run wires through, although you will see I'm not using then yet as I'm still experimenting with electrical set-ups. Again, really good stuff!

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am looking for some bags as well so these look like a good option, thanks.
I also noticed you have some bar end mirrors. My mirrors do not allow much of a rear view past my elbows so am considering replacing them. What brand are yours and where did you get them? Also noticed you have a clock and another gauge fitted. Where did you get those?
Cheers

·
Registered
652 Posts
Cyclepath - be interested in a picture of how you modified the mounting brackets.

Because they are not made for the TBS, like you I bought a pair of brackets for another model which aren't far off fitting, with the intention of getting the top of the bracket cut-off and welded back on to suit the gusset and existing hole. Or failing that just getting a pair of stainless steel ones made by the guy who did my silencers.

On your other thread you confuse me by saying that you've twisted the gusset up as on mine the triangular gusset is welded in place.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cyclepath - be interested in a picture of how you modified the mounting brackets.

Because they are not made for the TBS, like you I bought a pair of brackets for another model which aren't far off fitting, with the intention of getting the top of the bracket cut-off and welded back on to suit the gusset and existing hole. Or failing that just getting a pair of stainless steel ones made by the guy who did my silencers.

On your other thread you confuse me by saying that you've twisted the gusset up as on mine the triangular gusset is welded in place.
Sorry for the delayed response here. It sounds like we're starting with the same brackets, being the ones to fit legends, regular T-Birds, etc.

The first thing I did was to simply squeeze the brackets together to slightly increase the bent in the middle of them so that they came close to the upper and lower mounting points at the same time. They bend quite easily. The next thing I did was to bolt them to the top mounting point (the gusset) and tighten that bolt so that their installed angle became apparent. I did have to drill out the hole in the gusset on each side to accommodate the correct bolt size. Then I made two different tweaks. The first was to get the bottom flange of the bracket to replicate the angle of the mounting point at the passenger foot peg, I did this by using a good sized adjustable wrench (not pliers) closing the jaws down on the flat surface where the bolt hole is, and then simply twisting it to align with it's mounting position to the foot peg bracket. Once I bolted that end up and tightened it up, it was just a matter of pulling outwards on the back end of the bracket to move them out to the desired positions. This is what bent the gussets, quite substantially actually. It didn't seem to bother the gussets though. They simply twisted to assume their new positions. The end result is the bag brackets look absolutely like they were designed for this application.

Hope this helps!

ken

·
Registered
652 Posts
Thanks for the info. Cyclepath - it all makes sense now. I don't know why they didn't make rails for the TBS? I know panniers aren't practical with the earlier two silencers on one side models but are fine with the later models. Perhaps they didn't think TBS owners would go touring? :D

As well as the tank bag I bought a pair of the nylon panniers for the Thunderbird and Legend. Whether I actually fit them and use them is another matter! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts