Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by the dealer today to bs and got a copy of the Triumph Technical News.
Chain free-movement (slack) setting has been updated for all models, affecting all bikes (roughly 11 models) from the start of production. The new ST spec is 27-37mm with the bike on the side stand, down from 35-40mm (pg 75 in my '05 manual).

·
Registered
609 Posts
Could you post more information, date perhaps? Just wondering what I'd ask for at the local dealership, wanted to point a couple folks there to this. Nether the Sprint ST or the Bonny SE we just bought (last thursday) has this information in the manual... still the old spec.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ok, chain maintenance question here.

In the manual it says to lube the chain every 200 miles. Seriously? Come on, does any one really do that? And what good does lubing the chain do, other than keeping the o-rings from drying out? I just worry about having too much "goop" on the chain which can collect dust and dirt and potentially lead to premature wear.

But, on the cleaning and lubing, what products does everyone use to clean and lube and how often? I've been using just WD-40 to clean and Klotz chain lube, but I get too much "fling off." Any better suggustions? What about "Chain Wax" I think by Castrol?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Great question Klotzfreak

In the past I've tried to lube my chain as per the manufacturers recommendations (about every 500km or say 200 miles) and it makes a real mess. Even using the wax type lubes and wiping off the excess.

I had an XR250 as a young bloke and practically never lubed the chain - no damage to the chain that I could tell.

Its no doubt different for high speed chains with o rings. Will be interesting to hear about other members experiences.

·
Premium Member
24,323 Posts
Ok, chain maintenance question here.

In the manual it says to lube the chain every 200 miles. Seriously? Come on, does any one really do that? And what good does lubing the chain do, other than keeping the o-rings from drying out? I just worry about having too much "goop" on the chain which can collect dust and dirt and potentially lead to premature wear.

But, on the cleaning and lubing, what products does everyone use to clean and lube and how often? I've been using just WD-40 to clean and Klotz chain lube, but I get too much "fling off." Any better suggustions? What about "Chain Wax" I think by Castrol?
By all accounts that is about all WD40 is good for!

I use Kerosine to clean with a rag, I do this about every 1000kms.
I lube my chain when it looks dry which is about every second ride or 600kms - 1000kms.

Over lubing especially with wax type lubes just causes a mess and a build up behind your front sprocket cover.

You should remove that front cover every now and then and clean all the goop out of there.

My last chain and sprockets lasted 50,000kms.

cheers
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could you post more information, date perhaps? Just wondering what I'd ask for at the local dealership, wanted to point a couple folks there to this. Nether the Sprint ST or the Bonny SE we just bought (last thursday) has this information in the manual... still the old spec.
Sorry for slow reply, just saw this and that the attachment was darn small. I don't have date but it is from Technical News, page 9 of 9, item 12. I have a jpeg copy that displays big enough if someone can help me get it up to the forum.

Bonnie EFI and Bonnie T100 EFI new spec is 20-30mm on the side stand.

·
Registered
609 Posts
could you email it to me at bw at diablops.com ?

I'll put it up on my server and embed the picture here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have asked two different mechanics to date and they have not been informed of this? I'd hate to think that I'm trusting my bike to people that are not up to date with the latest revisions? It is probably not a critical one, albeit I'd like my bike to be set up correctly. Time to shoot of an email to Triumph here in Aus?

Huge adjustment range for the Street triples inconjunction to the others, even in comparison to the Daytona. 19mm of range where everything else has a lesser margin?

·
Registered
158 Posts
By all accounts that is about all WD40 is good for!

I use Kerosine to clean with a rag, I do this about every 1000kms.
I lube my chain when it looks dry which is about every second ride or 600kms - 1000kms.

Over lubing especially with wax type lubes just causes a mess and a build up behind your front sprocket cover.

You should remove that front cover every now and then and clean all the goop out of there.

My last chain and sprockets lasted 50,000kms.

cheers
DaveM:cool:

My 2 cents:

I clean the drive chain whenever necessary with an aerosol engine cleaner and reoil with 10W-40 synthetic motor oil every 500 miles. I realized after the last chain adjustment the transmission was 'less clunky' when the chain was a shade tighter than 35mm so I agree with the 27mm - 37mm recommendation.

I only use the commercial aerosol 'chain wax' when on lengthy trips.:thumbsup

·
Registered
124 Posts
Keeping The Chain Oiled

While it makes sense to keep the chain oiled I found the 200 mile dealer recommendation to be unrealistic. That means on a 600 mile day I would literally stop and oil the chain three times. Does it make sense... of course. Realistic... not for me.

Luckily I found a Warden Ross post about installing a Pro-Oiler and that made the most sense. Now my chain is always oiled and super clean. :D

Here's the link to installing a pro oiler.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Just saw this. My 09 manual still has the old measurements.

Can't understand why Triumph insist on quoting sidestand figures for a bike that has a centrestand.

On the subject of chain adjustment, does anyone else find the C spanner in the toolkit pretty useless? Are there better tools out there? I find it hard to get it hooked onto the adjuster ring.

BTW, I've always been advised against WD40 to clean the chain as it supposedly attacks the O rings. I use paraffin (kerosene?) and an old toothbrush. Diesel is also supposed to be OK.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Just saw this. My 09 manual still has the old measurements.

Can't understand why Triumph insist on quoting sidestand figures for a bike that has a centrestand.

On the subject of chain adjustment, does anyone else find the C spanner in the toolkit pretty useless? Are there better tools out there? I find it hard to get it hooked onto the adjuster ring.

BTW, I've always been advised against WD40 to clean the chain as it supposedly attacks the O rings. I use paraffin (kerosene?) and an old toothbrush. Diesel is also supposed to be OK.
There's a guy who sells better spanners on eBay, I believe they are listed as for a Ducati although it may also state Sprint too... I've got one, works awesome... and yes the junk in the tool kit is junk... pain in the arse.

A while back a guy on a KLR forum took o-rings from an o-ring chain and soaked them in a variety of solvents. I believe it took a week or more of soaking in wd-40 before the o-ring expanded. I use it for cleaning on occasion and don't worry about it. Kerosene is what I believe all chain manufacturers recommend.

I found the spanner I bought: spanner

There's another guy selling them for over $100!!! The above is good stuff, stainless steel, excellent tool.

·
Registered
492 Posts
as far as i am aware WD40 is kerosene and oil with propellant to get it out of the can ,, i use white spirit on a rag to clean my chain , in the uk you can get it for £3 for 3lts ,, cheap as chips works a treat:)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts