Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Okay so let's take a step back,
Turn your multimeter onto continuity or sometimes called beep test, it makes a noise when you touch the 2 probes together, pull each fuse out one at a time, one probe on each blade and should beep, any that do not replace

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
The whine noise should be an indicator that its efi
The efi wiring diagram at the ignition switch has
Brown, white, blue, red, blackwhite, blackred which is not the colours you have in previous post, something isn't quite making sense to me at mo
Ade, he's given the colours at the switch, rather than at the connector where they change. The bike is early EFI since on his pics I can see the MAP sensor tubes - on a carbed bike those are blocked off with rubber caps. The colours on the bike side should be:

Brown - main feed in to lights/ancillaries (always live)
Blue/Yellow - out to lights/ancillaries via fuses 7, 8 and 9
Red/Orange - out to parking light/tail light via fuse#10
Red/Blue - to instrument lights, also the feed in to the Red/Orange from fuse#8
White/Blue - secondary feed in to ignition (always live)
Green - out to ignition via kill switch and alarm connector pins1/2.

Always use the main harness colours, since the wire colours on the components like the ignition switch vary. Some early EFI's I know of had switches from the carbed models, which actually is the same switch but with different wire colours.

I also think the OP has mistaken fuse#3 (aux) for fuse#4 (out to fuel pump + White/Blue feed to ignition switch). Easy to do due to the way the fuse numbers are embossed on the fusebox cover. People tend to count the spare fuse as fuse#1.

Think the OP might find fuse#4 popped, when he figures out how to use the meter. Could also be fuse#5, which feeds the EMS relay. Personally I suspect the ignition switch given the fact that its been taken off and wires removed, but you'll find this out after the fuses have been tested. An unknown factor is what his mechanic replaced the OEM switch with, and how he wired it.

Hope this helps mate.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
HI guys you right the wires change colours I'm sending a Pic might help us out

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hi guys so the whining sound worked and the bike is working for some miracle that happened, all i did was take all the regulators out and put them back in! but now another problem has surged!
im rewiring the front end, speedo, lights, turn lights and the regulator.
I must have done some connection wrong on the front light wires that it made a pop and the light doesnt work anymore, i checked the light bulb, its fine, fuses are fine exept fuse nº 10 that only has 9,7v on the meter!
I checked the wires to the light bulb and there is no current, also there is no current on the connector that goes to the front regulator, im thinking the problem might be from where it popped but dont know where that could be, hope someone can help me out
Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Bike working thanks guys you the best, come over to Portugal one day great riding up the mountains

21 - 27 of 27 Posts