Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i have a Bonneville t 100 injection, and have a problem , i had a ignition key problem and had all the wires and was trying to sort it out when one of the wires touched one that it shouldn´t, and heard a bang on the rear of the bike, now there´s no initial ignition noise that you could hear when you turn the key on and the bike wont start! anyone have any idea of what i maybe burnt out?

·
Super Moderator
1,794 Posts
That don't sound good. I would start by checking all the fuses with a volt meter to confirm they are good. Hopefully a fuse took the hit. I would start with the higher amp fuses and go one by one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked the fuses they all seem good, was trying to avoid taking the bike to the mechanic,and tae advantage of this quarantine time...

·
Super Moderator
1,794 Posts
Does the bike turn over [rotate ] when you push the start button? Lights come on when ignition switched on?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The lights come on when the ignition is switched on but the injection noise that it use to do "like a little whine for about 2 seconds" it doesn´t do that anymore, and when i press the starter nothing happens!

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Hi guys i have a Bonneville t 100 injection, and have a problem , i had a ignition key problem and had all the wires and was trying to sort it out when one of the wires touched one that it shouldn´t, and heard a bang on the rear of the bike, now there´s no initial ignition noise that you could hear when you turn the key on and the bike wont start! anyone have any idea of what i maybe burnt out?
If there was a pop or a bang, then the area should be visible. Since all wires going to the ignition switch are hot, I don't think touching them together in any combination would cause a pop, I suspect that you accidentally grounded one of them. But first I need to know whether your bike is a CANbus model (wired differently in places, especially the ignition switch). If your speedo has an LCD display then its a CANbus.

How did you check the fuses, just visually or did you test them with a meter? You can't always tell by looking if they're blown.

What was the ignition problem and why did you have the wires out of the switch?

Help us to help you by giving more information.

Will a tune ecu help me with this?
Definitely NOT at this stage. TuneECU will tune the bike but it can't fix electrical problems. Besides, if you don't know what TuneECU is for, or how to use it, do not touch it until you do. Otherwise you stand a good chance of converting your bike's computer into a very expensive paper weight.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, thanks for your reply, so my speedo is with the pointers not lcd.
When i checked the fuses it was with a voltimeter and all fuses had a signal.
I had the wires out of the switch because a few months ago i lost my key and it was the only one so my mechanic at the time put on an aftermarket ignition switch witch didnt last very long and the wire connectors started breaking off, so when i was trying to fix it is when this problem happened.

Wont the tune ecu tell me the problem that the bike has?

·
Registered
564 Posts
If you have an engine light on(mil) then tune ECU can read and give fault code, wiring issues are not detected
Note you may have engine light on caused by oil pressure, this is because you cant start thebiketo create the pressure

·
Registered
564 Posts
So at your ignition switch do you have 12v, measured with voltmeter to the white/green cable
And the white cable,
Other end of meter on negative battery post or a good ground point on frame

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually now I checked properly with the voltmeter on the fuses and inside the fuse case and the big green fuse 30, and the right hand side fuses don't have any signal. And at the front end the wires connected to the ignition are: RED AND WHITE (no current, ORANGE (current ok 12v), RED and YELLOW (no current), GREY(current ok) GREEN (current ok) BROWN (current ok)

I hope this helps

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But if put the voltmeter on the other battery pole the right hand side of the fuses all work except fuse number three on the right side

·
Registered
564 Posts
Are your results with the ignition on or off, are you testing with black probe on ground ie on the frame, or black terminal of battery is your meter set to 12vdc?

·
Registered
564 Posts
The whine noise should be an indicator that its efi
The efi wiring diagram at the ignition switch has
Brown, white, blue, red, blackwhite, blackred which is not the colours you have in previous post, something isn't quite making sense to me at mo

1 - 20 of 27 Posts