Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
A few years ago I got called in to the DMV. All they wanted was for me to take an eye test. OK, I'm good with that. After all, they had not seen me for almost 40 years because I was always able to mail in my renewal. After I passed the eye test the clerk behind the counter says something like "You don't want this motorcycle endorsement anymore, do you ?". I am amazed at people's perception of anyone older than they are. A couple of years later I get called in AGAIN [no tickets or accidents mind you]. This time they want me to take the written for both my auto and my motorcyles endorsement [and the eye test of course]. Now that I passed all that, and am 74 and still functioning...what ELSE does this world want to know ? Maybe about my sex life ? You'll learn about that when you get there kids ! That's where I will draw the line. ...J.D.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Meh, everyone loves to give advice on forums and social media. Just absorb what information is useful to you, and ignore the rest.

Last week, I posted something on another motorcycle forum about a negative experience I had with a roadside assistance program when my bike needed a jump start. My question was about anyone else's experience with that roadside assistance program. Half of the replies told me what kind of new battery I should buy, and asked if I had been keeping the bike on a battery tender. A few people actually provided feedback on the topic I had asked about.

·
Registered
82 Posts
When it's my ageing Mum or my Uncle with the dodgy ticker telling me to " Go Steady " when I'm on the bike , I'll take that as a genuine and sincere regard for life in general and my life in particular . Every other Tom , Dick and Harry that saunters up in the supermarket car park to remind me how dangerous motorcycling is , it goes straight over the top ! I smile politely and tell them that I wouldn't want to live without it .

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
When it's my ageing Mum or my Uncle with the dodgy ticker telling me to " Go Steady " when I'm on the bike , I'll take that as a genuine and sincere regard for life in general and my life in particular . Every other Tom , Dick and Harry that saunters up in the supermarket car park to remind me how dangerous motorcycling is , it goes straight over the top ! I smile politely and tell them that I wouldn't want to live without it .
My whole family ride , so understand ( dad still riding at 87 ) . Sister in law lost a relative in a bike accident ( many years ago ) still hasn't stopped my nephew her son from starting . I never saw it but my grandfather rode a BSA with wicker sidecar .If my grandsons want to ride I'll do everything I can to support them .

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I like to tell them that some people confuse “breathing” with “living”.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Ya know, I think it's just the standard response when someone learns that you ride. For me it's been either, "What kind of bike do you ride?" or "Be careful out there." The reason I say that is because it's always the same thing and they don't know what to say if you continue to have a conversation from either starter comment.

For example, I don't know how many people have asked what kind of bike I ride but unless it's a Harley they have no idea what a Triumph, Yamaha, or Honda are and they certainly don't know anything that's not a Harley or "crotch rocket" in style. It's like they were just being nice in asking. Like when you see someone you know and say "How you doing?" not really expecting a real answer.

I think, at least in a lot of situations, it's the same thing with "Be careful out there" or "My mother's father's sister's brother's pet dog got it on a motorcycle." They see you, feel the need to say something and since you look like (or are) a motorcyclist, they say "Be careful out there" instead of asking "How's it going?"

At least, that's how I try to take it most of the time.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I got an interesting comment along these lines today. We just had a new girl start at the office. Her last job was at the local Harley dealership.
She saw me walk in with a helmet and asked what I ride.
"I have a Honda and a Triumph."
"Wow, that's lame."
"Huh. Well, what model Harley do you ride?"
"Oh, I don't ride. Bikes are too dangerous."

I'm sure we'll get along fine.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I got an interesting comment along these lines today. We just had a new girl start at the office. Her last job was at the local Harley dealership.
She saw me walk in with a helmet and asked what I ride.
"I have a Honda and a Triumph."
"Wow, that's lame."
"Huh. Well, what model Harley do you ride?"
"Oh, I don't ride. Bikes are too dangerous."

I'm sure we'll get along fine.
This sounds like a great first episode of a new Netflix series. I'd watch it. :ROFLMAO:🏍

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I use to have an aunt who got on to me about riding. This was even after my motorcycle accident that put me in the hospital for 66 days. This was all because her son was an ER nurse and the horrific stories she heard from him. Now mind you, her some has never said anything to me about riding.

The weirdest story on this subject was running into a guy (who rides) after a few years of no contact. I asked him if he still rode. His answer was, no. His uncle was killed on a motorcycle and his relatives gave him a hard time till he gave up riding. Now that is lame.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Gotta pick your battles. My in-laws are very old school, depression-era people. I run a warehouse, my wife is a doctor, so guess who makes more money. But, they think I'm the big bread winner, and that if anything happened to me, my wife wouldn't know how to survive. As such, mother-in-law has a big problem with me riding a motorcycle. We basically told her that I stopped, and when I'm over there, I'm careful not to wear any motorcycle-related t-shirts, etc. Gives her peace of mind in her last few years, we figure.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Gotta pick your battles. My in-laws are very old school, depression-era people. I run a warehouse, my wife is a doctor, so guess who makes more money. But, they think I'm the big bread winner, and that if anything happened to me, my wife wouldn't know how to survive. As such, mother-in-law has a big problem with me riding a motorcycle. We basically told her that I stopped, and when I'm over there, I'm careful not to wear any motorcycle-related t-shirts, etc. Gives her peace of mind in her last few years, we figure.
So were my relatives. I still ride and I do not hide it. We both have plenty of money and each have a life insurance policy to add to it, should either of us die.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I will treat them with kindness, they don't know what hit them. Just smile and say " Totally agree with you"

·
Registered
71 Posts
I didn't get a motorcycle until I was no longer living at home - wouldn't do that to my mother. By the time I was 25 my primary transpo. was my 650 Tiger. I lived in the SW desert and often rode in sandals and a T-shirt. I had a helmet, probably just for the law and winter days - Ah, those years of immortality.

Riding gave me a whole new perspective on defensive driving though, and probably has saved my life several times over the many decades since. The cager drunks are reduced these days but you have the red light runners and every second or third driver caught up what's going on with their phone. And the tailgaters, road ragers and left turners have always been there.

I like riding motorcycles (and bicycling just as much or more.) But I just ride motorcycles for fun these days and try to avoid traffic (and lights) whenever I can. Not really practical for most folks so lets just close with, be careful out there.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts