Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I did my CBT back in 2018, bought a Bullit Spirit and rode it every day for two years. Passed my theory test on 27th December, Mod 1 two weeks ago and Mod 2 last week. New bike (2013 Bonneville) was delivered Thursday evening. Since posting about getting my full licence on various social media platforms I seem to be getting a lot of unsolicited advice from people about making sure I always wear my helmet, that I should invest a good pair of gloves and a full set of leathers.

Now, I appreciate these people want me to be safe on my bike, but I'm curious as to what they think I've been wearing for the past two years? Right at the start I made sure to invest in some good quality gear, because, even though I was only on a 125cc, I still wanted to be safe just in case. Particularly as I live and ride in London everyday, which has a myriad of potential hazards all around you all the time.

I'm curious if this phenomenon of unsolicited advice about gear has happened to anyone else? Feel free to share your stories and anecdotes below.

·
Registered
470 Posts
So, I did my CBT back in 2018, bought a Bullit Spirit and rode it every day for two years. Passed my theory test on 27th December, Mod 1 two weeks ago and Mod 2 last week. New bike (2013 Bonneville) was delivered Thursday evening. Since posting about getting my full licence on various social media platforms I seem to be getting a lot of unsolicited advice from people about making sure I always wear my helmet, that I should invest a good pair of gloves and a full set of leathers.

Now, I appreciate these people want me to be safe on my bike, but I'm curious as to what they think I've been wearing for the past two years? Right at the start I made sure to invest in some good quality gear, because, even though I was only on a 125cc, I still wanted to be safe just in case. Particularly as I live and ride in London everyday, which has a myriad of potential hazards all around you all the time.

I'm curious if this phenomenon of unsolicited advice about gear has happened to anyone else? Feel free to share your stories and anecdotes below.
What people would these be?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Quite honestly, NON-riders always seem to feel the need to preach about safety because, to them, "motorcycles are dangerous" and of course their brother's cousin's friend's sister-in-law's nephew died in some horrific motorcycle accident. Don't worry about them, or even bash them, because they really do usually mean well. Just give 'em a "thank you" and change the subject.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Just back from holiday a cruise in the Caribbean way too hot for leathers out there , and many other places . saw some really silly riding atire , sunglasses , shorts , flip flops , on an R1 . But the roads were so poor he probably only used first and second gear . Visit the far east where they have no sense of self preservation absolute lunacy . Over the years I've probably worn some totally inappropriate clothing and been fortunate to get away with it . I've crashed and broken bones wearing all the gear . As an old fart I will always try to help those who appear to need it , the guy running radial front cross ply rear spring to mind . Same goes for clobber , these days in modern countries we old farts can sometimes forget the level of training you now require before being let loose on the road . I look around at bike meets and see everyone ageing ( obviously not me ) we all need more people to start riding before all the old bikers die and biking with them . So cut them all a little slack if they only want you to enjoy our glorious pastime without getting hurt , there may also be some Richard Heads out there so a bit of get stuffed won't hurt .

·
Registered
470 Posts
Just friends. Or friends of friends. Only one or two of them actually ride though.
If your happy with what you've got then ignore them, I've got no friends so I don't have to use social media.
The only advice I will give is what my dear old dad told me and that was, If you're going on a first date always put a hat on it in case you get lucky ;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Why worry ? sounds like a comment from an older generation looking out for you. If not then it is just a silly comment that is not funny to you but only to the person saying it. Just answer it by saying.. Great idea, wish I had thought of that lol !!!!!.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't worry about them, or even bash them, because they really do usually mean well. Just give 'em a "thank you" and change the subject.
Oh, I never bash them. I just found it curious is all. I tell them that I already have all my safety gear and they are happy with that. However, the few friends I have that actually ride never give me "the talk" about gear, probably because they (rightly) assume that if you've made the decision to go out on two wheels you will already have the correct gear according to the weather and style of bike.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why worry ? sounds like a comment from an older generation looking out for you. If not then it is just a silly comment that is not funny to you but only to the person saying it. Just answer it by saying.. Great idea, wish I had thought of that lol !!!!!.
Not worried, just curious as to if this had happened to anyone else. I should point out, these comments were not made on this site. Just various other social media platforms and chat forums I am on. And mostly they are from people in their 30s-40s. Not sure if that is classed as "older generation"?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I know what you mean, I revert to " Treat them with Kindness, they will never know what has hit them".

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Christ that makes me positively ancient at 52 then, and I thought I was still a youngster :LOL:
You are(still a youngster) compared to some! Me included.
I've heard the preaching on here about AGATT and of course from well intention-ed friends/relatives, I'm not one to always wear the proper gear and quit frankly I dont care what others think, It wasnt until last year when I lost a close friend to a head injury on a motorcycle that convinced me to at least wear a helmet every time I ride so...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Riding a classic British bike down a quiet English country lane in jeans, t-shirt and boots on a warm spring morning is one of life's highlights, even better without a lid. It does feel more dangerous than it did 40+ years ago though.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Yes, i know what you mean. Every time i leave my gym, there is a guy who says. Be careful out there. I know he means well. I just nod thanks, he never says that if I'm in a cage.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yes, i know what you mean. Every time i leave my gym, there is a guy who says. Be careful out there. I know he means well. I just nod thanks, he never says that if I'm in a cage.
Maybe bikers should get in the habit of replying to these kind folks something along the line of "Thanks, but if you really want me to be safe, tell your friends to be aware of motorcycles"

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe bikers should get in the habit of replying to these kind folks something along the line of "Thanks, but if you really want me to be safe, tell your friends to be aware of motorcycles"
YES! THIS ^^^

·
Registered
470 Posts
Riding a classic British bike down a quiet English country lane in jeans, t-shirt and boots on a warm spring morning is one of life's highlights, even better without a lid. It does feel more dangerous than it did 40+ years ago though.
I lived in the quiet countryside of Dorset when I started riding and It was great out on the twisty lanes in the height of summer with my hair blowing in the wind, when I used to have hair :rolleyes:. Now I live in a hectic town and almost everyday some goon tries to knock me off so proper gear is a bit of a must, I still prefer a leather jacket over a fabric one though, I should also wear protective trousers but jeans will suffice.

·
Driftless Admin
11,436 Posts
I always thank people for their concern. People have their stories and advice, but it all roots in concern for me, so it's a good thing. I tell them I'm very aware of the risks, I'm smart about riding, but in the end the rewards are worth the risks. When they aren't, I'll quit.

I get that the preachy nature can get tiresome, especially from nurses and the like that have "seen it all". I still give them a "thanks for being concerned for my safety", seems to help shorten the conversation ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts