Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
There was a recent post about this, seems the innards need cutting, modding and re-welding. I'll be doing mine but not till my Landy is built and I've got other wheels.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Personally, I prefer quiet bikes. They don't set off car alarms, and they don't draw the attention of law enforcement.

That being said, search the forum for "bafflectomy" if you're looking to make your factory pipes louder.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Try searching specifically in the T3 Classics forum. Or just buy a set of D&Ds and be done with it. :p

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
408 Posts
No luck there, different type of cans it seems. D&Ds, spend money? s'against my religion :D
Don't reckon it'll be a hard job, would seem to require a bit of welding and probs a bit of testing/modding cycling, to get noise/packing levels right, maybe - just a guess till I'm able to gut mine.
php, if you do yours be sure to post piccies of the gory details ;)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
There's a baffle several inches in. You can take a piece of rebar or some other steel bar and knock out the baffle. It'll add a little noise, but not much. I tried that first, then added a pair of Daytona CF cans that I got on ebay and finally D&D's, also from ebay. The D&D's have a great sound, but are extremely loud.

·
Registered
414 Posts
...then again...

Personally, I tend to agree with Kit, although I too have had some louder than stock bikes (and cars). One thing I did learn early on (the hard way), was that performance tended to suffer unless other mods were made (air intake, jets, cams, etc.) Granted that the F.I. systems can compensate to a certain extent for some minor changes, but they do have their built-in limits. You may want to run a few plug checks after your mods (and before for that matter) to make sure you aren't running too lean. Replacing burned valves is neither inexpensive nor pleasant.

I love the sound of my Sprint 900 with the stock pipes and I'm afraid that a change might spoil that deep throated roar. I tend to get smiles from the (admittedly younger) crowd when I rev 'er up a bit, rather than frowns or worse.

Good luck with your changes!

·
Registered
408 Posts
After you php :D

Good info Seumas, cheers.
I don't want massive noise, just a bit less of the factory softness. Certain amount of volume helps the cagers, cyclists and pedestrians realise you're around.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I do actually understand that. I will also admit to occasionally revving it up to 3 or 4k as the light turns green, just to get the nasty look from the idiot on the cell phone and the followup "oh sh...!" look as he realizes he's walking against the light. :D The Two Brothers pipe on my RS won't set off a car alarm, but it will make one chirp a warning if I get on the gas like a hoon.

Fiamms are really better for the warning stuff, though.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
238 Posts
Messing with the cans

Hi Guys - We covered this a couple of months back but here goes again.

If you drill out all the rivets on a standard can you get a carbon liner, two stainless bands, a black chrome or bright chrome bugle (the back piece) and a still fully seam welded muffler. The bugle part just rivets on to the trailing lip of the can.

I swapped a 3 into 1 (just too loud)for a couple of standard cans from Roden in Aussie. Roden noted that he had drilled part of the baffle out with a long extension to get a deeper sound. Having said that the sound to me isnt any louder than normal. Might be best to cut up a wrecked can first to find out how to best modify the standard can and retain the look.

For me (as others also have noted) the standard cans make a beaut noise just as they are.

Cheers for now - Kiwigeoff:D

·
Registered
408 Posts
A thread from the dead...:)

Did you do yours php? I started on mine. For ref what you get when undoing the rivets is as mentioned, the two shiney rings, the black chrome end cap, a carbon fibre(?) wrap, and completely a sealed exhaust.

The can has a resonator system, they liver nearer the back third of the can. I've sliced mine and opened it up. I'll be drilling the three resonator 'blanks', and seeing how that goes.
I won't be remaking the cans as straight-through glasspacks, I only want a little sharper 'bark'. Whether it's worth totally re-doing the internals or not, depends how much cutting and welding yr ready for, and how much you might spend on baffle tubes or DIY them etc.
For me it's not worth it given I only want a little more sharpness, and the bike is my daily transport so playing options are limited.
For performance though that resonator thing is not great.

My bolts holding the mounting bracket onto the can were utterly seized. Two came out when they were drilled. One is resisting, may weld a rod to it and see what it has to say about that heat. One pushed the captive nut inside the can, so I'll have to cut a section out to retrieve that and re-weld one.

The wrapper seems an excellent place for mud to back up and water to creep in - one of my cans has a elongated rust hole where that seam is, so more cutting/melting there, and much manky rust globs under the wrap.
I may re-wrap in ally sheet, but whatever, Tiger Seal or similar will be used to keep out the cloud juice.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Anyone tried this?

Seems like my bike is a little too quiet for me :)

Ive already come close to an accident 2x This summer since I bought the America. My former bike a Suzuki was for the most part unbaffled and I never had this problem. I pulled out one set of baffles out of the Triumph America re jetted and removed the airbox. Its not obnoxiously loud but people do look up when their driving and sometimes even look up from their cell phones.
Then there's always the boat air horn I have on the handlebars.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I've noted that linky from before Mot, good stuff they've got.
For me this time around the choppage and fettling plus costs to re-do the insides are too much, but I did gut and re-do can internals before. Sounded properly nice after n'all, but these ones are too much hassle I think.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I havent done mine yet....

I have been busy sorting air filters and other stuff...

May be a winter project.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Hi Guys - We covered this a couple of months back but here goes again.

If you drill out all the rivets on a standard can you get a carbon liner, two stainless bands, a black chrome or bright chrome bugle (the back piece) and a still fully seam welded muffler. The bugle part just rivets on to the trailing lip of the can.

I swapped a 3 into 1 (just too loud)for a couple of standard cans from Roden in Aussie. Roden noted that he had drilled part of the baffle out with a long extension to get a deeper sound. Having said that the sound to me isnt any louder than normal. Might be best to cut up a wrecked can first to find out how to best modify the standard can and retain the look.

For me (as others also have noted) the standard cans make a beaut noise just as they are.

Cheers for now - Kiwigeoff:D
Yes Geoff, that 3 into 1 is loud but geez I like it, it sounds insane :D

Cheers,

Roden

1 - 19 of 19 Posts