Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last saturday I stopped at 5 gas stations to check tyre pressures. 2 were broken and the other 3 gave me different readings. For my back tyre I got 35,36 and 38. Especially the electronic ones, I hate them. They don't show you your initial tyre pressures...just the final reading.

I m planning on getting one of little ones for myself. Just wnat to know where can I calibrate such devices if I need to make sure its correct. Also is it ok to keep one under the seat. Wont it get knocked about and somehow damaged since its a measuring instrument.

electronic or analogue?

·
Registered
242 Posts
i bought a little keychain pressure gage and keep it under the seat in the storgae compartment. then at least i know what its actually at. i wouldnt trust a gas station gauge. i have a sargeant seat and it has a little bubble storage space, but on a stock you could put it in a little puch with your handy tool kit.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I bought a digital-readout tire guage from Sears...I don't know that it's actually ACCURATE but it is CONSISTANT, which is probably the best U can expect from an under $20US piece of kit that you are going to toss under your seat.
I agree, the service station guages are absolutely worthless.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Don't even think about trusting those gas station gauges attached to the hose. They have been dropped, run over, left out in freezing rain, etc., etc. The digital gauges are OK but the best ones are the big analog gauges with a bleed off valve, preferably one with nice thick rubber armor. Fill your tire to above the desired pressure then use the bleed off valve to bring it down to the set point.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Spend the money and buy a quality guage. Then, make it the only guage you use. That way your reading is consistent.

·
Registered
365 Posts
On 2007-03-04 10:35, batistuta wrote:
Last saturday I stopped at 5 gas stations to check tyre pressures. 2 were broken and the other 3 gave me different readings. For my back tyre I got 35,36 and 38. Especially the electronic ones, I hate them. They don't show you your initial tyre pressures...just the final reading.

I m planning on getting one of little ones for myself. Just wnat to know where can I calibrate such devices if I need to make sure its correct. Also is it ok to keep one under the seat. Wont it get knocked about and somehow damaged since its a measuring instrument.

electronic or analogue?

Remember, you need to check pressure on a cold tire. If you're riding in between gas stations, your pressures are going to vary depending on the heat in your tire (at that moment) and will be consistently higher than they would be cold. Yet another reason not to use gas station tire pumps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts