Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Ya'all,

My friend Wes White over at Four Aces just completed a four hour video on rebuilding unit 650 engines. I haven't watched the whole thing, but I just got mine and I'm planning on spending some quality time with old Wes and some New Castle this weekend! I can say he's an articulate badass that knows what he's talking about so this is a must-have for anyone into old Triumphs.

Wes White's Unit 650 rebuild DVD

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
no eye tink eye like hughie and guiness better :-g

both proven products

[ This message was edited by: KADUTZ on 2007-03-08 21:03 ]

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow. Thanks for passing such quick judgment on something you've never even seen. Your attitude here and on my other post probably makes you feel really smart but you just come across as a grumpy, know it all prick who is closed-minded. Just what the world needs, another one of those...

Just remember, internet pissing matches are like the Special Olympics, no matter who wins, you are still retarded.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Bill, I don't think we need this on here. Different people have different opinions and we should respect that, even though we may dissagree.
I think your out burst was uncalled for and an apology would be in order.
Roy.

·
Registered
371 Posts
well, one must learn to work within the parameters of the Dao of the Kadutz. it's a strange taste at first, but like a hundred-year-old egg or a 30-foot roy lichtenstein painting, can be valuable.

and he hates a fenderless scoot. even the thought of one.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
dag and johnnypence

tank u for ur support ( johnny pence I think what you said was a compilment, please give my best to Blondie and Baby Dumpling. I sincerely hope Baby Dumplings illness has passed.) we have a newbie here that ain't real bright.

to Billdozer
you shall now be known from now on as as little pup BIG DOGS know to lift there legs you don't. the fact you drink what you do proves you have no taste. I don't know (nor do I care to know) who your but whole buddy is on the left coast is. I DO KNOW who Hughie is and the history of Guinness. they BOTH have a proven history. ifin u b so smart tell me Hughies last name and why your but whole buddy is more component to produce a video.
you throw down the gauntlet I pick it up.
You don't like what is said I give you the single didget salute!
I have reviewed your previous postings on other forums and as someone said to you previously ....BITE ME.... :yayyy: :chug: :-g

[ This message was edited by: KADUTZ on 2007-03-09 22:09 ]

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
to little pup[
by the way your opinion of me is MUCH HIGHER than my opinion of you. hope you have a good night and go practice lifting your leg. I assume your are a male since you say you are an artist :-D

[ This message was edited by: KADUTZ on 2007-03-09 22:15 ]

G

·
Seems my first post will be here. Thanks Bill for the bump on my DVD. I thought that i might join this forum and learn some stuff then hang out in cyberland with like minded people.

Turns out, without even being a member I have been insulted by this Kibbutz guy. Mr Kibbutz, you should get to know people before you insult them, it is only proper.

Four Aces Cycle is my shop, in Pacoima, CA. www.fouracescycle.com has my address on it. When you are ready to come and discuss matters instead of hiding behind your keyboard commando routine i will be here.

Where i come from we do not behave as you do Mr. Kibbutz

looking forward to being a member here

[ This message was edited by: fouraceswes on 2007-03-09 23:59 ]

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You mean Hancock? I said nothing bad about the dude, still not sure why you bad mouth something you've never seen. Why spit hatred at whoever doesn't share your taste in beer? You don't know me, if you did you would know that I too enjoy Guiness, though I usually drink New Castle or Pacifico. I also like Jim Beam. Does that matter at all on a motorcycle message board?

I also enjoy talking smack with the best of them, but your stuff isn't funny it's just lame. I see now why this section of the forum has so little activity, with these kind of responses it's not even enjoyable, just weird and sad. I enjoy contrary opinions and constructive criticism, but find your input silly.

When I peruse places like this I try to keep an open mind, and learn from others or contribute something I think might be meaningful, something you you might try. Calling someone's wife a bimbo because you don't like a 36 Ford spare tire ring re-purposed as a rear fender is not in the spirit of this board. Another thing I try to keep in mind is to never say anything from a computer that I wouldn't say to a person face to face and I doubt if we were in the same room you would have such a belligerent stance.

I'll be the bigger man here and bow out because pissing matches over opinions like this aren't what I'm about, and I doubt it's what the other people on here want to read, there's enough terrible reality TV to get your fill of that garbage. If you have any further wild conclusions to jump to, or ignorant assumptions to make and you would like to share them with me, just shoot me a PM, or better yet, come on over and let's chat in the real world. As for me, I'd rather interface with people who want to talk about motorcycles...

Sorry if this thread made Wes look bad, that wasn't my intention and he had nothing to do with it. I thought I was doing a good thing for people who worked on old Triumphs.

(BTW, Johnny, thanks for the tip, but I've been to China and I hate those ***** eggs, so I'm just going to skip it.)

[ This message was edited by: Billdozer on 2007-03-10 01:51 ]

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
quag
I would have picked you but it was time to watch Darby O'Gill and the Little People and I had shut it down.

fouraceswes

please advise in which post I hurt your feelings and insulted you. where did I say ANYTHING nasty to or about you or your shop.

YOUR response directed at ME says it all.

I will now ask you directly why should I (or anyone else ) purchase your video. Why are you more qualified or as good as Hughie Hancock. I have never heard of you or your shop. you have a web site BIGGA DEAL for all we know you have brother named Marshall. If you want to send a copy to me I will look at it. If I like it I may buy it if I don't we will return it.

I am sure people on this site welcome new input and members, at least I do. BUT this is the vintage side and there is a lot of old knowledge out here.

If you intend to use this as a commercial post I suggest you contact the webmaster for the rules

·
Super Moderator
13,548 Posts
I think we ought to clean up the thread and start over.

GROUP HUG!

(Again?)

KADUTZ: Come to think of it, I was considering doing a restoration video, (non brand-specific), maybe I need you to critique it before release. However, beer will not be mentioned at any time, so that's just a heads-up.

[ This message was edited by: GrandPaulZ on 2007-03-10 12:03 ]

·
Registered
31 Posts
In my opinion, the more videos the better. There are so many things that need covering. Every angle and take will be different even on the same subject. Personally what I would like right now that focuses just on the minimum needed to get to and clean sludge trap. Problem stuff that happens,etc.

Shots of the tools including sizes where they are available. Basic mechanic skills, like tapping, heli coil(there is a newer better method forgot the name).

I have Hugie Hancox's video, and I love it. It is great, and I enjoy supporting him, in return for his committment and service. Is there more I would wish for in it? Sure. It got a little hurried from gearbox on. Everything came apart fine, like that sludge trap plug, cases, cylinders. It would be nice to see what do when problems arise.

I also plan to buy Wes's video, and I look forward to getting it.

I think so people got caught in a zero sum game, like if people bought one they would not buy another, but I don't think that is true. I love Narnia, the british version, and I love Narnia the Disney version. Same story, both great.

Anyone out there with experience and skill, I will help you make a video. I got the camera, final cut pro, mac, and the experience. The more info we can get out there, the longer our bikes will live.

I can appreciate and applaud the loyalty shown to one man or the other, but lets not let that divide us. There is room for all. Lets all roll together, and keep the thunder of the Triumph alive. (Includes all British bikes, I just liked the sound). I could have said, the blast of the beeza, nuance of the norton, Volley of the "Vincent, bon vivant of all British Bikes. :wink:

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
If one video is good, two are probably better. Hughie did his about 30 years ago, if I recall, and there are better parts than were available then, plus he couldn't give any info. on upgraded parts that are now available. There are things I do, and parts I use, which I'd be willing to bet Hughie doesn't cover. Don't know about the other one.
I would also guess that the "factory man" Hughie doesn't cover high performance modifications, some of which are good practice even for stock street bikes, like lightening the valve train, and how to do it.
Now that our bikes have heads which may have had several valve jobs, it would be nice if he covered how to check valve spring coilbind length, pack height, and how to shim to get it right. How fitting oversize valves help would help to correct some of the pocketing. How about drilling out the oil drains on the tappet blocks to improve oil drainback and rockerbox breathing.
Ever drill, with a long aircraft style bit, an eighth inch or so hole down and at an angle from the spark plug to allow water to drain out of the blind hole the plug sits in? It allows most of the grit to drain out, too, so that when you pull a plug, there should be less stuff to fall into the engine. Hughie cover that?
You can put a slightly loose-fitting key upside down on a vise or anvil and tap it to swell the curved side until it fits tightly. You can file lead in ramps into keyways in the cam pinions to ease installation. Hughie tip you to that?
Final adjustment of the primary chain should be done when the rear chain is hooked up and adjusted properly and with a person sitting on the bike. Anybody mention that?

I think we need a video on what-fits-what....so many Triumph owners have taken advantage of the interchangeability of parts to mix and match, and not always in a good way. I have an engine on my garage floor right now, pulled from a chopper (which is now running my 68 engine, as a loaner, as the frame bits get a once over.) which has a 70 crankcase and an 8 bolt top end, from an early 60s pre-unit.
There are three different valve spring bottom retainers used in unit 650/750 engines. Five different oil pumps. 11 different gearbox sets....not counting the wide and close ratio sets, seven crankshafts, three con rods, two clutch hubs, two clutch centers, three chainwheels, four engine sprockets, three types of gear box sprockets....not counting number of teeth, etc. Would be nice if some video showed what these parts look like and what year they fit, and if they are interchangeable individually or as a set of parts. Now THAT would be a cool video.

The point is that everybody who has worked on these bikes for awhile has some tips, favorite parts, homemade tools, and cool ideas. You may not agree or embrace them, but it's good to see them. I say, buy the video if you are at all in doubt as to what to do with your engine.
BTW, what are Mr. White's qualifications?

Wonder if I should film the rebuild of my bitsa 68? That would confuse people, I fear.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mecchanica,

I think you should definitely do a video. That is quite a list, right there.

Right off the top, I think that spark plug draining thing is way cool.

And btw, would my 71 bonne benefit from better oil draining, and how do I do that?

People could even do a "re-build off". Send the files down the pipe for editing into one video.

Anyone want to use my bike as an example? :)

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Drilling out the drain holes benefits all the unit and preunit engines, up through 77. The 78s have an exhaust rocker vent which takes care of the venting side.
One modification I made to a hot rod bike I built was to remove the oil pressure relief valve and install it remotely, in a tube which housed a filter and served as a reservoir. Braided brake hose was used to connect to a banjo on each rocker box cap, with the open (inside) end of the bolt tapped to receive a Mikuni mainjet. The bike ran a Morgo high flow gear oil pump and I used the excess capacity diverted to the top end to cool the valves and springs. I controlled the flow by changing the jet sizes, more for the exhaust, less for the inlet. This increases the flow to the top end, and the ability to cool the head and internal parts, ENORMOUSLY. The large drains were required to allow the oil back to the sump and additionally improved rocker box breathing. It also dumps a LOT of oil onto the cam lobes and tappets.
I also ran a fifth hose to the timing case to replace the oil which no longer exited the stock relief valve to lube the cam pinions and right side cam bushes. I had considered pressure feeding the cam bushes, but never went that far, although on my own engine, I may.
You could do this with a late oval port stock pump, but you wouldn't get as much cooling oil to the top as with the gear pump.
The drains are in the tappet blocks and are only accessible for drilling when the cylinders are off, for example, during a top end overhaul. There are two holes in each, and you can drill them out with a hand drill and bit, easier when the blocks are out of the cylinder for re-oringing, that way you can drill in from either end and not need an extra long bit.

·
Registered
367 Posts
i agree with btour,you should make a video or a book!seems you have a long and valuable experience ...don't let it disappear.i'll be your first buyer... :) :)
ben

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
gpz
I would love to do a group hug with everyone on this forum
EXCEPT the TWO NEWBIE FLAKES. As I have stated in previous posts I wish no person on this forum harm nor do I wish any rider harm or injury. To do so is bad Karma as is hate. I hate no man and will not allow that emotion in my life. My opinions and postings may be strong and my sense of humor very VERY dry. HOWEVER if attacked I will give appropriate responses and fear no man.
Be aware fouraces and billdozer appear to be tied together financially. It never ceases to amaze me what can be found on the web.

Little pup
anything I have to say to you OR about you will be said in open forum in response to postings you do. ANY PM I send is in attempt to answer a question asked of me and will ONLY BE ANSWERED in an honest manner even if the asker has insluted me in previous postings.
YOU are the one that turned nasty, crude, rude,lewd, and boorish. I would say the same thing to your ugly face that I post here. If you want to tangle come and see me I wear a Triumph hat not a Blue Bonnet . Let me know when you are coming to the Chicago area I will gladly give you my schedule. You are a PHONY of the 1ST degree your Old Skool Chop looked better when you got it in the copper /bronze/gold color with the HD(?) disc brake front end also I like the other oil tank better. If you buddy Wes
is so great why didn't he do your rebuild? And remember I could be be your old man you youngin's from '67 ain't got no respect, Ever hear of Moby Grape, David Peal, Country Joe? Why did you take exception to the Bimbo comment and not bailing your Momma from the slam?
By the way your front frame is a 70 not a 67 as you have posted and the rear is an Amen Savior probably built between 74 and 79.
Oh yeah why are you banned from other sites? :moon: :wow:
:ppcn:

[ This message was edited by: KADUTZ on 2007-03-11 00:32 ]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts