Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone i am looking for help to valve time my 5ta because this machine was not pulled apart by me the re-assembly has proven easy until now, the cam gears have 3 places for the camshaft woodruff key to be fitted for correct valve timing un-fortunatly two of these will not time the engine correctly . the dot or dash markings are easily fitted in their correct places but how do i know what position the camshafts lobes should be in? it is far too risky to try them independantly. i am just hoping somebody else has managed to overcome this and the solution is easy .

·
30,527 Posts
Hi Sue,

I don't know much about that bike I'm afraid. I'm going to move your post into our classics, vintage and verteran forum, where there are a lot of knowledgeabl folks on the older Triumphs. Hopefully someone there can give you some good input.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
reply 1

Welcome!

You do have a workshop manual, correct?

I need to dig out my Triumph CD and look at the 500 section.
hi thanks but yes i have both haynes[anual} and clymer books but they make no referance to cam position only the dots and dashes for corectly lining up the gears these apparantly should have been marked which keyway was being used prior to removal unfortunatly i cannot see a mark.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hopefully

Hi Sue,

I don't know much about that bike I'm afraid. I'm going to move your post into our classics, vintage and verteran forum, where there are a lot of knowledgeabl folks on the older Triumphs. Hopefully someone there can give you some good input.
thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you

I'll have a look-see.

I've never pulled a cam pinion without marking both parts, so I've never looked up the alignment procedure.
yes according to my clymer manual this marking before removal is the correct procedure however because the removal was not done by me i cannot see any marks for replacing gears my advice to everybody is please MARK YOUR GEARS PRIOR TO REMOVAL thank you Sue

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
yup like rousseau said . from a post by someone else :

• Install the crank pinion, washer and key to the crank
• Insert the flywheel location tool into the TDC notch
• Figure out which cam wheel is intake and which is exhaust
• Fit the camshaft keys
• Install each cam wheel using the keyway NEAREST the timing mark
• Insert the intermediate gear per the workshop manual
• Remove the flywheel location tool into the TDC notch
• Using a spare crank pinion engaged in the intermediate and appropriate cam wheel, torque the 3 big nuts remembering that the camshaft nuts are LH

the factory manual isn't much help either but if you need one and also a parts book they're here : http://www.classicbike.biz/Triumph/Triumph.htm

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you

yup like rousseau said . from a post by someone else :

• Install the crank pinion, washer and key to the crank
• Insert the flywheel location tool into the TDC notch
• Figure out which cam wheel is intake and which is exhaust
• Fit the camshaft keys
• Install each cam wheel using the keyway NEAREST the timing mark
• Insert the intermediate gear per the workshop manual
• Remove the flywheel location tool into the TDC notch
• Using a spare crank pinion engaged in the intermediate and appropriate cam wheel, torque the 3 big nuts remembering that the camshaft nuts are LH

the factory manual isn't much help either but if you need one and also a parts book they're here : http://www.classicbike.biz/Triumph/Triumph.htm
YES setting up in this way works as you would expect everything turns over smooth and quiet . THANK YOU

1 - 10 of 10 Posts