Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out on the ST today weather was cooperating in the Tri-State area.
To make a long story short here are the perimeters of the incident. 2005 ST, 60 degree day, pillion in tow, twenty minutes into the ride, got off the super slab, rolled off the throttle , clutch disengaged, and the bike STALLS.......
I was coming to a routine stop when this had happened.
I pulled off to side, gave her a minute took 3-4 cranks on the starter and she fires back up nothing else for the rest of the ride, about 2 1/2 to 3 hour ride time.
Mind you this is now twice this has occured, I chalked the first time up to one of those things...like rider error.
Anybody had this happen if so, what are some causes and some solutions.
I love the bike.........but this one of those things if not corrected fairly easily sends me over to see how much a K1200S is going for .

·
Registered
646 Posts
The 2002-2004 model ST's had a similar situation and it was a "Stepper Valve". Replaced the defective part and no more problems. Covered under warranty.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Agree the stepper valve is the most likely cause, but I had a same thing occuring due to a loose battery terminal, worth a check, could save a trip to the shop.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Also keep in mind that the kickstand switch can turn the engine off while in gear. Just a thought?

G

·
My kick stand turns motor off in gear or in neutral, its a pain, I have gates to go through. :-/

[ This message was edited by: Hench on 2007-03-11 18:13 ]

·
Registered
794 Posts
On 2007-03-11 18:12, Hench wrote:
My kick stand turns motor off in gear or in neutral, its a pain, I have gates to go through. :-/
Shouldn't happen in neutral though!! Only when in gear.

Does your neutral light goes on?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Same problem here....usually on my morning commute as I get on the on ramp. And right after that I have to go through a tunnel. So the first time this happened I was half way through going around 50. I think I did a 3 -> 4 shift and it stalled before I could drop the clutch.

Being the first time, I held the clutch in and coasted out of the tunnel and pulled over. It re-started with no issues (didn't even turn off ignition). This is usually when it happens. I've also gotten it to do this in N and on the stand.....high rev and release.

Hoping a flash with fix the problem :-D

The stepper valve seemed ok....actually we had it in our hand, turn the ignition on and saw it move. Then when we turned it off, the valve moved a little and POP! Things went flying :hammer:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought an '06 Sprint non-ABS in June of last year, and have experienced this at least five times since. It probably would have happened more except my hand was in a cast and I couldn't ride from the middle of July until October. I thought I had some kind of lemon bike until I read this post, which I found somewhat reassuring (to know that it's not unique to my bike). So, thanks to those who have posted with similar experiences.

Although the weather man is promising snow tonight in Massachusetts and cold weather for another week at least, I hope to get my bike out of storage before the end of March. I had already planned on talking to my dealer about this problem when I go in for the recall work, but now I can print out this thread and bring it with me to hopefully help them identify the issue. So, if anyone has any further information to contribute, pipe up!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies, even though i have no I idea what a "stepper valve" is either Nikos, but to not woory I have an appt with the dealer with my list
1) Check the stalling......dealers says possible bad gas
2) Hard start issue, this while its warm not cold.
3) MC goodwill swap, dealer was ready with the 5/8s and had no hesitation when I mentioned it.
4) Install new/updated map
5) Install stainless brake lines....hope this will also solidify the brakes.
6) Check starter, does not completely cycle during the hard starts.
and after all this I still enjoy the h3ll out of this bike
Tell me I'm not whipped

·
Registered
646 Posts
As a reminder, our brake lines are steel braided. They're teflon coated on the outside to prevent corrosion. I realize some say the change made a difference, but my experience has been that it is typical for fimness to return after bleeding brakes. In the long run it really doesn't have any effect.

The 5/8" MC WILL do the trick and you'll be tickled pink over the improvement.

I say this only if your concerned about saving a few $$$$

Keep us up-to-date on your progress. :-D

·
Registered
709 Posts
On 2007-03-10 22:00, Dig50 wrote:
Got out on the ST today weather was cooperating in the Tri-State area.
To make a long story short here are the perimeters of the incident. 2005 ST, 60 degree day, pillion in tow, twenty minutes into the ride, got off the super slab, rolled off the throttle , clutch disengaged, and the bike STALLS.......
I was coming to a routine stop when this had happened.
I pulled off to side, gave her a minute took 3-4 cranks on the starter and she fires back up nothing else for the rest of the ride, about 2 1/2 to 3 hour ride time.
Mind you this is now twice this has occured, I chalked the first time up to one of those things...like rider error.
Anybody had this happen if so, what are some causes and some solutions.
I love the bike.........but this one of those things if not corrected fairly easily sends me over to see how much a K1200S is going for .
I had a K bike that did that eact same thing.

[ This message was edited by: 2ndSpace on 2007-03-16 20:15 ]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts