Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just inspected my rear pads and the pad nearest the pistons has worn twice as fast as the outer pad - i.e. the outer pad had almost no wear at all and the inner pad was half of it's original thickness.

These are EBC double H sintered pads that I installed 4,500 miles ago.

I cleaned the caliper, used a little of that brake caliper grease (for the first time), and installed a new set of pads.

Any ideas on what would cause this? I was on a long road trip when I last changed the pads, so I didn't clean the caliper or use the grease the last time - could that have screwed something up?

P.S. my front rotor is warped, and I just read a bunch of posts on the subject. Back to the dealer!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
The pistons need to work nicely. Perhaps when you changed pads, the pistons were not cleaned well enough and one is not retracting well.

·
30,533 Posts
The caliper was sticking somehow - either the pistons as David said, or possibly the slider pins were not free enough, so one pad may have been dragging. This may have added to the disc warping.

Make sure everything is free and keep an eye on it. Properly greased and free you should get fairly even pad wear - one will always be a bit more than the other - but certainly not double the wear on one pad compared to the other.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The pins were grizzled with rough black crud, nothing was sliding on them! One piston was sticking - when I pumped up the pressure to fully extend the pistons for cleaning, only one was pushed out. When I pushed it back in the other one popped out...

From now on I use caliper grease when I change pads!

P.S. The sticky piston was on the rear caliper - the warped rotor is up front.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts