Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys please if you can post a pic of the wiring with the rectifier and grounds shown. I have got something wired wrong and I keep frying a wire.

Help me Obi-wan...

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
Model of bike?
If a ground wire burns and the fuse doesn't blow,it normally means the seat base is touching battery -VE terminal.You can burn a lot of ground wires like this,if the fuse is on the -VE side of the battery.

If the fuse is on the ground side of the battery,the fuse blows before the wires burn.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, '68 TR6R.

The seat is up and the wire that is getting toasted is from the rectifier to the battery and around to a ground on the front of the battery case. I just put the grounds back the way I got them, but I don't know it's right and the diagrams are leaving me a little fuzzy.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
According to the wiring diagram for export models from DU66246 to DU90282 (1968), there`s no direct connection from the battery to the rectifier.
Starting from the battery negative (-), a brown/blue goes to the fuse and then to the ammeter.
Through the ammeter, then it changes colour to brown/white. and further on to the ignition switch.
The ignition switch has another link (br/wht) which goes to the bridge rectifier (-ve).
Here there is another brn/wht link to the zener.

Remove the fuse and with the ignition switch OFF, multimeter on the resistance (Ohms) range, measure the resistance at the brown/white wires.
Should be a few Kohms. [in other words not a short circuit]
All earth (+ve) wires are red.

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
*Note
I does not matter where the brown/white wires have double links, as long the connections are made between the rectifier, zener, ammeter and one side of the ignition switch.

In the above state [fuse out, ign off] the only earths to concern you are the rectifier + and the zener cathode, stripe. [earth---|<---brn/wht]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts