Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys may or my not have an answer for this and its sort’a sprint related...

The metal “Honeycomb style” insulation directly above the under seat muffler on the 05 and up Sprints; does anyone know the industry name for this kind of material or a manufacturer? Ond I believe you were in the aero space industry?. I seem to recall seeing something similar rapped around the hot parts of a helicopter turbine? Does anybody else have any ideas?

I’m looking into replace some fiber blanket insulation on some rather large turbos for a work application.

Thanks
David

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Don't know who makes the Triumph insulation and would guess that it is low bucks.

The aerospace industry uses many varieties of heat insulation, radiant and conductive blocking. I think your best bet is to go to the Thomas Registry and select from their listing.

http://www.thomasnet.com/

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Thomas is a great source if you are in manufacturing/assembly/maintenance.

Unlike the current free online service, in the old days we had to pay a subscription and the books covered half your desk.

·
Registered
121 Posts
FWIW - that stuff you pointed at in the pic - it's not an insulator from what I saw, I think it's just dual layer crinkle foil - that or a lean cuisine tray the factory threw in to help roast our nuts.

If you want proper insulation for your project, look for ceramic coatings and then a proper heat wrap.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
You could be correct, peeti. Or you could be guessing wrong.

Most heat insulation products do not depend solely on the exterior material as the primary barrier. While some select the exterior material in deference to radiant capabilities, most depend on the interior component to impede conduction. Triumph seems to have selected a product that has some radiant properties, but also contains an insulation material within as the primary component.

Unless you have disassembled the Triumph heat barrier there is no way to state what is contained. To me, it resembles products I have worked with which contained ceramic blankets/fibers. But, I also have not taken one apart.

As for ceramic coatings and heat wraps being the only "proper insulation" you might want to consider what is being used in aerospace applications, as well as FI cars.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Below is a pic with a myriad of different insulation options. The red line is pointing to the material I’m looking for and I believe is similar to what is above the sprint exhaust. Which is similar to the material OND guided me to on the Thomas Registry. Thanks again.

“Our aluminum heat shields are manufactured with ceramic insulation and embossed foil. The ceramic is enclosed in foil and the ends are folded and pressed to provide a durable, clean edge.”

At a different location we have large bore reciprocating engines with large industrial turbos (3’ in dia). Our insulation contractor, the same one who made the blanket pointed to by the blue line, makes them for our turbos. The turbos are on a 5 year exchange interval and after 5 years the insulation blankets are oil soaked and falling apart, the mechanical maintenance crew hates them. I was asked if I could find a source for the stuff Solar Turbines uses on there exhaust collectors and at least try it. Though I’ll agree the blackest are several inches thick and likely have a higher insulation value then the ceramic enclosed metal stuff, at least when new and before being soaked in oil and catching fire a few times.

Also after realizing how much of metal stuff Solar uses I’m sure my contacts there would provide me with their supplier.

I took a closer look at the sprint exhaust heat and it is quite similar to the material on the turbine exhaust. It is more then one layer thick and very likely has some type of enclosed insulation.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
I am in construction and there are now a large number of materials both curtain type and foil types used for Commercial fire wall construction.

So anyone looking for this type of heat shielding could also try the construction industry suppliers.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Any outfit that does power plant maintenance/construction should be able to point you to a supplier. All steam valve insulation is now flexible blanket insulation, since asbestos has been banned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts