Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the misfortune to lose my right hand side cover on my bird. You know the one- triangle shape just below the seat that cover all the electrics?.
Guess how much for a replacement in Cranberry Red?.
$454.85 cents Australian. You can imagine my response to the dealer. This was for one side only!!!!!!!!!
I have essentially been forced to buy the chrome side covers for, wait for it ..............$126 for BOTH SIDES!
Pissed off.? What do you reckon?
Blindaussie

·
Registered
236 Posts
$246.07 US at Bike Bandit... 2012 Cranberry Red.

(Incidentally, I've priced side panels for my Bonnie through my dealer and he usually takes a chunk off of their prices. Your dealer is obviously not doing you any favors).

Shipping might hurt you a bit, but I can't believe it would be close to $455.

Also-Ebay, Ebay, Ebay! All kind of Triumph parts...

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
$246.07 US at Bike Bandit... 2012 Cranberry Red.

(Incidentally, I've priced side panels for my Bonnie through my dealer and he usually takes a chunk off of their prices. Your dealer is obviously not doing you any favors).

Shipping might hurt you a bit, but I can't believe it would be close to $455.

Also-Ebay, Ebay, Ebay! All kind of Triumph parts...
He's in Autrailia. Thats in aussie dollars.

Still, the side covers are stupid expensive. Guys....watch the rubber inserts the side cover pegs go into. The reason they come off sometimes is the rubber part gets pushed in and if one of the 3 pegs is not secure the wind can get under them and pry the side cover up till it pops off. One of mine actually come off the frame when i pushed it on. I have thought about some sort of cable on then epoxied on from the inside and clipped tied to the frame. But if you are vigilant about making sure those rubber inserts are on correctly and not old and rotting i don't think anyone would lose one. And yes, triumph DOES practice gouging. Most of the accessory parts are way cheaper than the OEM. A chrome pulley is a few hundred less than the OEM one. My chrome fork lowers and other chrome were all as much as 1/2 the cost of the OEM part. My belief is it IS gouging and it's done because they CAN ! They figure no one is going to buy a OEM part for the hell of it, only if it's broken. But the accessories must be far cheaper because if they cost as much as the OEM no one would splurge for them. In other words, they are not necessary items but luxury items. People spend money on what they desire if the price is right....they spend money on what they NEED whether they want to or not. hence the OEM gouging. I love triumph motorcycles, but i'm not particularly thrilled with the company.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
$454.85??? Did it come with a hooker?
No. But, they are hand painted by a lady of the evening, hence the high cost. And let's not forget shipping and handling ...

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Guess how much for a replacement in Cranberry Red?.
$454.85 cents Australian. You can imagine my response to the dealer. This was for one side only!!!!!!!!!
I have essentially been forced to buy the chrome side covers for, wait for it ..............$126 for BOTH SIDES!
Triumph parts are much cheaper in the UK. So I think the pricing is down to the distributor, not Triumph. Try http://www.worldoftriumph.com/section.php/4276/1/triumph_parts/bfc4ad1e16a9eeff2fc9f709c04786c1

·
Premium Member
663 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
He's in Autrailia. Thats in aussie dollars.
uh, yea...I got that part:

$454.85 AUD = $464.72 USD

Even at Bike Bandits inflated price of $246.07, plus shipping, and VAT (not even sure if Australia suffers under that or not?) it would probably be cheaper than $454.85 AUD to get the proper cover.

Unless I'm missing something? (like people in Australia not being allowed to shop at Bike Bandit? lol).

·
Registered
236 Posts

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Sorry, i forgot it's not the dollar thats the problem in austrailia, it's that aussies just pay a LOT more for triumph stuff over there. A Tbird if i remember costs them something like 6 or 8k more than the US. I was mixed up as to what it was, but i knew cost of anything triumph and i assume any bike or car is a lot more over there for whatever reason.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Tried to buy a clearance jacket off the UK website...

Got this reply: "We are sorry sir, but US residents must purchase their Triumph parts and accessories from US distributors."
Spunds like the official Triumph website. You need to go through a dealer. Know several who ship overseas inc my local dealer.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Few people had this happen to them over the last 3 years.

Over on the site that cant be mentioned, the new trick is to use a cable tie on the bottom square bracket and arround a bit on the inside losely so u can still take the to panel off and let it hang .

I cant post any pictures here unfortunatly but you know where to go to find them on the other site that cant be mentioned here or linked to here .

Not much help to those its happened to but may save a few people if they use this idea.

Yes they are just as expencive over here in the UK .

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I put some scotch poster putty on the cover lugs to make them more snug. $3.97 at amazon.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Adhesive-Putty-Removable-860/dp/B000AN7EW4[/ame]

·
Registered
46 Posts
Child's play compared to what I just spent on the long haul seat with backrest, sissybar with pad, and luggage rack. Very painful, but items that I needed. I feel your pain.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have found that is some cases you can get top quality accessories for a lower price if you go non oem. Know I know some things are not avaliable yet but for heaven sakes you would think triumph stuff is all gold plated

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Deefer, I have not been a member for all that long and I don't know the "Voldamort" site.
Can you PM me with it when you get a chance?
Cheers
Blindaussie

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone for the moral support. I am still rankled at the fact that I lost it because like all of you, I really love my bird.
I have spent over $3,000 on bits and pieces so am no stranger to an empty "Triumph Wallet" but I still think this is just disgusting pricing.
Dazco was correct - we have the current TBird 1600 on sale here for $19,990 aussie dollars. I paid $21,500 for mine in July last year.
On a happier note I ran into a guy at the petrol station the other day and he had just installed Foran short pipes on his bird. I almost couldn't hear for 5 minutes after he took off and they looked great as well.
cheers
Blindaussie

·
Registered
955 Posts
Thanks everyone for the moral support. I am still rankled at the fact that I lost it because like all of you, I really love my bird.
I have spent over $3,000 on bits and pieces so am no stranger to an empty "Triumph Wallet" but I still think this is just disgusting pricing.
Dazco was correct - we have the current TBird 1600 on sale here for $19,990 aussie dollars. I paid $21,500 for mine in July last year.
On a happier note I ran into a guy at the petrol station the other day and he had just installed Foran short pipes on his bird. I almost couldn't hear for 5 minutes after he took off and they looked great as well.
cheers
Blindaussie
Loud pipes make me tired. Why anyone would want the destroy their hearing with loud pipes is beyond me.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts