Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Do the correct conversion
You're right, but still he would then be getting over 60 MPG U.S. The highest i have seen to date is what druade just posted. Before that 90% of people seem to get around 40 MPG with jumps up to 50 and a rare 52-53 or somewhere around there. I suppose it's possible under perfect conditions, but it would be a record. When i was looking at bikes a while back as a second commuter bike i looked at MPG and honestly, the only bikes in the 60 MPG range were tiny 250's and scooters. so if he got over 60 thats incredible. But I still think there could be something missing like a pump thats not calibrated the same as the one he last used. It's amazing how much difference in MPG a small amount can make. Play with a a MPG calculator and you'll see.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Anytime ya drive any vehicle in cold weather,fuel mileage will always drop off somewhat depending on just how cold it is,and basically because the colder it is,the more power the vehicle needs to do the same thing it did in warmer weather,meaning it'll burn more fuel. Dave!!!
Dave I've found the exact opposite true with cold weather, especially with naturally aspirated vehicles - my camaro gets WAY more power when it's cold because the air is denser - I get more power with less throttle and especially when you are rolling around with 425 horses under the hood you notice changes in your gas mileage in a big way. I haven't done the homework on my own bike yet on a cold ride verses a hot day ride - I mostly don't like riding when it's cold. ;)

·
Registered
458 Posts
What car? The Tbird will probably take most cars for a couple gears i imagine, but after that i think there are a lot of cars that will eat it.
Daz - no disrespect intended - I actually would LIKE to race you or another 1700. I thought I had told you about my '67 Camaro? I ran a 13.6 second quarter mile on street tires at Sears Point raceway. My 60 feet time was 2.1 seconds so you can tell I could not get 1st gear hooked up. If I could get that time down to 1.6 where it should be, could run a 13.0 flat. I put a Richmond 5 speed in the car - it does 118 in 4th gear - I've never topped it out in 5th because it gets light in the front after 123 mph. But I have driven the car, and ridden the bike enough Saturdays back to back, it's not close, my car outpulls my bike.

And a video when the neighbors got together and asked how come I never drove it hard - told them I didn't sh*t where I ate, but they said oh come on do it once...

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Dave I've found the exact opposite true with cold weather, especially with naturally aspirated vehicles - my camaro gets WAY more power when it's cold because the air is denser - I get more power with less throttle and especially when you are rolling around with 425 horses under the hood you notice changes in your gas mileage in a big way. I haven't done the homework on my own bike yet on a cold ride verses a hot day ride - I mostly don't like riding when it's cold. ;)
I have to agree with Daryl, my experience is better performance in colder weather - within reason of course. It is really noticeable in small single engine normally aspirated airplanes. Crisp cool air makes them climb like a homesick angel; hot muggy weather makes you wish you could peddle faster. Colder air = denser air = more oxygen = more energy? :Stir

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
LOL! Nice video. :D With those numbers i imagine it would be a close one. I think if the 1700 w/TORs got a good start too then i believe it would pull ahead and the car would gradually catch up and they'd pass the 1/4 mark about the same time. Because from what i have seen i believe the bike will do 13 or possibly break it. The 1600, not so much. I think i saw the 1/4 time for the 1600 was somewhere around 13.6 or 8, but don't quote me. I'm pretty sure as a 1700 mine would slay itself as it was when at 1600 because it now pulls to around 5500 or more hard before running out of breath. The 1600 was dead after 4500, and didn't pull very fast to that point. So the car would likely be a close race i imagine. I also don't know what the 0-60 time is, but the bike seems to get there awful quick, so a perfect hookup would probably yield 3 seconds i bet. But i refuse to attempt a quick start because it's hard on the bike and belt/tire and thats where you can lose it. I wouldn't take the chance on this thing....i paid way too much and i'm too old to meet pavement hard.

Daz - no disrespect intended - I actually would LIKE to race you or another 1700. I thought I had told you about my '67 Camaro? I ran a 13.6 second quarter mile on street tires at Sears Point raceway. My 60 feet time was 2.1 seconds so you can tell I could not get 1st gear hooked up. If I could get that time down to 1.6 where it should be, could run a 13.0 flat. I put a Richmond 5 speed in the car - it does 118 in 4th gear - I've never topped it out in 5th because it gets light in the front after 123 mph. But I have driven the car, and ridden the bike enough Saturdays back to back, it's not close, my car outpulls my bike.

And a video when the neighbors got together and asked how come I never drove it hard - told them I didn't sh*t where I ate, but they said oh come on do it once...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2_5Onqh49o

·
Registered
297 Posts
You're absolutely correct Daryl about a vehicle having more power when it's cold.I've owned and built a number of rods over the years so I know exactly what ya mean.If fact,I built a couple Camaros just like yours for a couple guys I knew.One was a modified 350 and the other,a 427,both with close ratio Muncie 4 speeds,and then we had to go with to a 12 bolt posi rear end for traction,and then install ladder bars to keep the tires from bouncin.lol But both were fun projects.

Anyways,getting back to the subject at hand,lol that's because the mixture LEANS out.The colder it gets,the leaner it gets and the better the vehicle will run.However,when it's first started,is when extra fuel is needed until she warms up.Now notice I said in my post"the mileage will drop off SOMEWHAT".I didn't say the mileage would be poor.lol But the increase in power in cold weather is DEFINITLY noticeable.

Ya wanna talk about incresed power,try takin your bike out when the temp gets into the teens,single numbers,or below.The colder,the better.You'll swear you're drivin a different motorcycle altogether.lol It's almost as if the HP has doubled.lol The coldest I've driven a two wheeler in,is minus 25*F.The machine pulled strong as hell.However, my body didn't wanna pull very well.lol lol Dave!!!

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Ya wanna talk about incresed power,try takin your bike out when the temp gets into the teens,single numbers,or below.The colder,the better.You'll swear you're drivin a different motorcycle altogether.lol It's almost as if the HP has doubled.lol The coldest I've driven a two wheeler in,is minus 25*F.The machine pulled strong as hell.However, my body didn't wanna pull very well.lol lol Dave!!!
So true. But i could never understand why that is because the air is denser which is what makes it lean. But if so, why wouldn't it then do the same thing in normal temps if you allow more air ? Instead it just gets lean and runs like [email protected] on the bikes where i've tried opening up the airways w/o changing the amount of fuel. Even on carb'd bikes i found that, and we know they weren't adding more fuel since no computer telling it what it needs.

I keep wondering why we couldn't recreate the cold weather power, but i guess it has to do NOT with how much air can get in but how dense it is for the space allowed. My brain just doesn't operate in that territory.....it shuts down and start sending signals telling me to start drinking beer. :D

·
Registered
297 Posts
So true. But i could never understand why that is because the air is denser which is what makes it lean. But if so, why wouldn't it then do the same thing in normal temps if you allow more air ? Instead it just gets lean and runs like [email protected] on the bikes where i've tried opening up the airways w/o changing the amount of fuel. Even on carb'd bikes i found that, and we know they weren't adding more fuel since no computer telling it what it needs.

I keep wondering why we couldn't recreate the cold weather power, but i guess it has to do NOT with how much air can get in but how dense it is for the space allowed. My brain just doesn't operate in that territory.....it shuts down and start sending signals telling me to start drinking beer. :D

On the contrary Daz.Have ya ever heard of racing teams packing the engine compartment with ice around the air intake and manifold???Whadaya think they did that for? lol The name of the game is getting the correct air/fuel mixture,AKA,stochiometrics.Now there's a word for ya.lol It means" CHEMICALLY CORRECT" Of course this was BEFORE everyone went to computer controls.But it used to be common place years ago.Dave!!!

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Well, like i said, i don't get the difference between cold dense air and a more open airway to allow more air in when it's NOT cold out. Seems the latter brings on a lean condition that makes the bike run worse, having done that several times w/o changing the fuel.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The temperature of the air has a lot to do with it. The colder the charge of air the better the fuel atomises and the better the charge burns. This will hold true up to the point where the air is so cold that the velocity of it starts iceing (formation of Frost like Ice on the insides of the intake system anyplace from the air filter all the way into the beginning of the ports)
Just opening up a port for more air dosnt make as small of a change in the air/fuel as the difference in the air quality hence why you usually just end up running too lean when you tried that.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hot air will richen the mixture,hence the motor won't run as well in HOT temps as it does in COLD temps.Cold air is light and hot air is heavy. Dave!!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Maybe we need refrigeration units built into our air boxes. :D
At the races (drag strip) I have seen people actually force air thew a cooler full of ice in an attemp to get colder air just to gain a tenth of a second.

Speaking oof the drag strip I would be willing to take the challenge of racing that Camaro! I enjoy a good day at the strip and will probably be doing a few runs to the fri night races next year with the thunderbird and let the kawasaki at home just to see what it will do.

·
Registered
43 Posts
A friend of mine, Bob Smith, took his RGB Weslake to Daytona in 1983. It had been untouchable in the Battle of the Twins series in England but ran terrible at Daytona. He could not get it to carburate (?) properly even though there was no difference in altitude. The big difference was the ambient temperature. Back in the UK it ran really well.

·
Registered
458 Posts
That's why those fancy cars that we can't afford have words like "intercooler" attached to their turbos and superchargers - get that air as cool as possible, has to do with compression and detonation and whatnot.

Dave - it doesn't get into the single digits around here - a COLD day here is a lovely frosted lawn that thaw's by 9:30 AM.

OldGreyBull - the story of getting my bike has everything to do with painting my car. I was saving to paint it - actually had the cash in hand - and decided to buy the TBird instead. It's more complicated than that, but that's the gist. AND when I finally do get to pain the car...you nailed it - matching paint schemes with the TBird - absofrickinlutely!!!!!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Maybe we need refrigeration units built into our air boxes. :D
Except we all know where our air boxes are which is going to bring a whole new meaning to the term "freezing your nuts off." But I'd be willing to try if it also kept the IPA cool in my side bags.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts