Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a day ride on the ocean road in Victoria. Lots of twisties, hills and then back via farmland so lots of fast stuff as well.
End result was 56.81 miles per gallon (UK gallons not USA) or if you prefer 20 klms to the litre.
That gives me a range of around 400 klms per tank.
Awesome!!
Also I only use high octane (98%) fuel which does seem to make a difference. No ethanol!!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Sounds brilliant. Which model Thunderbird? I suppose you do the GOR heaps, being on the Eastern side of it?:D
We don't have Ethanol here as far as I know. They don't advertise it at the stations anyway. I noticed E10 over in Adelaide when I was over there a few weeks ago.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
With all due respect, theres got to be a mistake somehow. Either in the pump you used for the initial or end fill or something. The best i have seen in U.S. gallons was just over 50. Your mileage would convert to almost 70 U.S. gallons. Seriously.....most scooters don't get that. Must be a mistake. I got 50 U.S. once and that was riding as slow as i could go on the freeways so my fried on a very unstable harley could keep up. Not saying you couldn't get more than i did, but 50 U.S. would be under 42 in UK gallons. So as you can see, there had to be some sort of mistake.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Greetings,

Yes the ethenol does a number on the MPG, cause with normal crusing on the Interstates, I get about 38-44 MPG. That with crusing at 65-75 MPH.

How does that line out with other riders?

hagatha

·
Registered
457 Posts
Daz was that before or after the BB kit? I have gotten 51 when it was bone stock. mostly 4-5th gear riding, 40-60 mph thru twisties below Lake Berryessa. I'm not very good at conversions in my head but isn't their gallons larger - so a larger gallon would result in more miles per gallon? If an imperial gallon is say 1.2 US gallons then he would end up with more miles per that gallon. And converting him to US gallons would put his mileage in the 40's somewhere? My son is the math whiz around here, I'll get him on it!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have the SE model which is a bone stock 1600.The BEST I have ever done regarding mpg was 56.2,but only one time,although I have seen 53,54,and 55 mpg on a number of other occassions.The rest of the time my mpg is usually between 48-52.The highest reading I have seen on my "MILES TO EMPTY" feature was 315.No one believes that,but I actually did see it.I usually drive between 45 and 65 mph,I never accelerate hard,my shift points are between 2000 and 2500 rpm,and I get into high gear ASAP.I have NO COMPLAINTS with my T bird,other then the premature tire wear.But that's not the fault of the machine. Dave!!!

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Daz was that before or after the BB kit?
You mean when i got 50? That was just a couple weeks ago. best i got as a 1600 was 46, but i also never rode it as easy as i did my 1700 on that day when i got 50 MPG. I imagine i would have gotten 2-4 MPG better as a 1600. Still no where near the 68.2 MPG U.S. claimed in this post. Thats what 56.81 MPG UK gallons translates to in U.S. gallons.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Dave you need to sell the bird and get a Honda 50. Thats would still be overkill for the way you ride ! :D
Ah heck spring for it and go for the YZ80 just in case you need the extra power in an emergency. All kidding aside I have my bike wide open a few times every time I ride it no matter what. I'm an acceleration junkie. Bike still won't outpull my car tho - Daz I'd love to line up with you in my car and see how it does against a 1700. :D

·
Registered
297 Posts
Dave you need to sell the bird and get a Honda 50. Thats would still be overkill for the way you ride ! :D
NO! I don't need to sell it because I didn't buy it to use as a rocket ship.I bought the SE model to use as a touring machine and because it was the next best thing to my old RSV,not to mention that it's 150 lbs. lighter.lol

After 50 years on two wheels with all kinds of nuts out there tryin to elliminate me on a daily basis,lol,and nature slowly but surely creeping up on me, [I wonder which will get me first? lol lol] ,I think I'll just drive it nice and enjoy myself for as long as I can.Whadaya think??? lol Dave!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Huh... 10% ethanol kills 10% of your mileage. So we are getting 90% of our mileage out of a US gallon of gas. Leave it to the government and the oil company lobby to come up with this scam.

Also, do any of you notice gas mileage drastically dropping during the colder winter months?? I hear that there are additives added during the winter that are suppposed to allow the fuel to burn off better (less pollution) of course I seem to get 3 mpg a gallon less during the winter so that TOO is hogwash and just a scam to sell you more gas.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Anytime ya drive any vehicle in cold weather,fuel mileage will always drop off somewhat depending on just how cold it is,and basically because the colder it is,the more power the vehicle needs to do the same thing it did in warmer weather,meaning it'll burn more fuel. Dave!!!

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
The ethanol scam just makes me so angry i could strangle the jackwads responsible for that idea. From what i've read it seems to be more of a way to keep farmers from losing thier farms than anything to do with fuel for vehicles. I wouldn't mind if we were given a choice even if it cost more. But in so cal we don't even have any non ethanol stations. At least none that will tell you or are shown on those websites that list them state by state.

You spend a fortune for a performance vehicle only to have the govt rob you of the very thing you bought it for. Ba$tards !

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I took a long run recently on motorway and got 56-58 mpg on my 1700. Thats uk gallons at 65 mph . Stop start is a different matter of course.
Dazco, no mistake, I'm reasonably good at math.
Standard My2010 1600.
after I filled up the computer showed 433klms to empty or just over 20klms to the litre.
Maybe I don't ride as hard but I do my share of high acceleration and top speeds of in the 120kph range on good roads.
Btw down here a gallon equals 4.55 liters and a kilometer is 5/8ths of a mile.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes mate I try to do Geelong-Lorne most Sundays for breakfast with some matesl.. E ride I did yesterday was Geelong-Lorne-Deans Marsh-Moriac then back to Geelong. The run through to Apollo Bay is also excellent..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Daz.
Do the correct conversion; a US gallon is approx 10% smaller than a UK gallon so if you got 50 mpg that equates to about 55 mpg. The actual conversion is 1 UK gallon is 1.164 US gallons. I get a similar consumption rate up here in Alberta; it's a bit less when I drop down into the States as your speed limits are a bit higher, (and I don't run the risk of getting points on my licence if caught going faster).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts