Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm embarrassed to ask...but what the heck. I wanted to check my spark plugs and I know they are in there somewhere :eek: unfortunately the literature I have doesn't tell me where or how to get to them etc. So before I just go digging into the engine...anyone have a step by step guide / link /something for it?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
you gotta pull the tank then the airbox and you'll see 3 wires going into the top of the engine, those are your plug wires don't mix them up. If your lucky enough to have the tool kit there should be a socket included with it, 17mm. it was the only socket I could find that would take out the plugs, it uses the big allen key that also should be included.

Others said they used a thin walled 17mm but I didnt have one so.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Wow...really? You have no service manual?? Well, it call's for removing the tail section, side fairings & the fuel tank which means you need to be careful with the fuel supply/return lines. You will need to remove the entire air-box from the top of the engine too. Once the airbox is off you will see the coils, three, one per cylinder. Pull the coils...there you are.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow...really? You have no service manual?? Well, it call's for removing the tail section, side fairings & the fuel tank which means you need to be careful with the fuel supply/return lines. You will need to remove the entire air-box from the top of the engine too. Once the airbox is off you will see the coils, three, one per cylinder. Pull the coils...there you are.

Thanks all :) just the info I needed. And no...the gent I got the bike from was the second owner and had no manuals. I have scavenged some off the net, but it didn't cover this issue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
To anybody replacing thier spark plugs just a word of warning! Carefully check the part number of the plugs when you purchase them! I brought a plug down to the local Honda shop and asked for three of the sample type. I glanced at the part number and assumed they were the same as the sample. The following is a post of that experience in the modifications and workshop forum.

This sounds very similar to a the problem I was fighting recently on my ST. Some backround. I had performed the 12,000 mile service over the spring including the valve adjustment (2 out of spec) throttle body balance, new fuel and air filter and new plugs. I had also installed heated grips and a Pro-Oiler. My bike would start and run fine until it had running a few minutes then it would start missing, backfiring and at times just totally shut down during idle or when accelerating away from a stop. Not a good thing in a busy intersection. When you got the RPM's up life was good. During the troubleshooting process I isolated the cylinder that was intermitantly acting up as the number two. I swaped coils to no effect. Swaped plugs still nothing. Then I swaped the number 2 and 3 injectors around and still nothing. Rechecked the throttle body balance and valve adjustment. No issues there. The last thing I checked (should have been the first but heck they were brand new!) was the part number on the plugs. The correct NGK part number is DPR8EA-9. The Honda shop that I bought the plugs from incorrectly sold me NGK DP8EA-9. This type is not equiped with a resistor. I installed the correct plugs and it purrs like a kitten. No more issues of any kind.
The only bright spot of this excercise is that I got a lot of practice assembling and disassembling my Sprint. I could probably do it in my sleep. A 5/8" socket will fit over the spark plug tool provided in your tool kit. This will allow you to use a torque wrench on the plugs.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Whatever you do do not purchase your plugs from a motorcycle shop. They will probably ding you in excess of 20+ per plug.

This is a common NGK plug and can be bought from any autoparts store for about 12 bucks a plug.

BTW, if someone asks you if you Sprint is a hemi, you can say yes. Hemi refers to a hemispherical combustion chamber where the plug goes down through the center of the head to fire in the middle of the chamber. This stems back to the original N.American V8's that had spark plugs that screwed into the side of the chamber in between the exhaust ports. Chrysler created the Hemi image when in the 60's went crazy and screwed the sparkplugs down into the chamber, through the top of the head and marketed the Hemi.

99% of imports use this technology today.

Make sure when you take your tank off that you mark where all your hoses go. THe airbox also has an array of hoses that plug into it. Your tool kit contains a long spark plug socket and use it because those plugs are a long way down and you need the rubber tab inside the socket to grab the plugs to bring them up.

Make sure your gap is correct and thread them slowly remembering that your motor is slightly slanted forward and the holes are at a slight angle.

All this time you have been complaining about your mileage and here I thought you had already checked things like your air filter and plugs.....

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Tr-oomph those are good deals on plugs.

Triumph dealer: $27.00 each (ouch)
Other Bike Dealers about $17-$20.
NAPA, I think my last set where about $9.00 ea but I get a discount.

·
Registered
329 Posts
airrider03...those plugs looked well used, how many miles on em?? reason i ask is that the manual (2007 1050 sprint) has the plug replacement at 30,000 miles. I was thinking that at about 20,000 i would replace em?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Danall,
Those plugs had 18,000 miles on them. The engine had been running fine when I changed them. The manual recommends "checking" them at 10k and 20k, I figure if you're going to check them, then you might as well have some new ones ready.
I've always believed in full combustion for my engines.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts