Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before i go touring in Europe next month., i am considering putting Ultraseal in my tyres to prevent punctures and negate the need to take a fixing kit. Has anyone used this stuff?
Sounds good...No punctures, no need to top up air pressures, adds longevity to tyre life [not wear!]...too good?
Rate it or hate it?
Cheers.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I`ve used it during my euro trip last year.
its still in the front, and I need to re-apply it to the back tyre as its new.
There are pros + cons for using this product, as it stays liquid, just take it easy for the 1st few miles if the bikes been stood for some time as the sealant can settle at the bottom of the tyre. This allows it to re-distribute itself.
If I was riding around local, or the Uk only, I doubt I`d bother using it, but it adds a little "piece of mind" value to touring trips, and sure beats sitting at the side of the road for several hours waiting to be picked up by the tow truck in mainland europe, should you have the misfortune of picking up a punture.

By all means use it, but get into the habit of periodically checking your tyres for damage, as you don`t always get a tell tale green spot appearing, where the sealant has sealed a puncture. I would only use it on a new tyre, as the cost of applying it to a part worn tyre doesn`t make it finacially viable IMO

Edit: IF you do go ahead and put ultraseal into your tyres.
An important point to remember is, when you have to replace your tyres, DO tell the tyre fitter there is ultraseal inside the tyre, if you don`t or forget, you WILL be the most hate guy in the tyre store. tyre fitters hate the stuff, because it get all over them. But if you tell em, at least they will be forwarned & act accordingly

·
Registered
20 Posts
hi
I have used it and it works got a screw in the front tyre and it stayed inflated till I got home when I pulled the screw out the tyre went down mind you it was a large hole.
As Peirre says if the bike has been standing a long time the liquid settles to the bottom of the tyre but that soon spreads around and you don't notice any effects when riding after a 1/2 mile

Check your tyres because the new ulraseal I put in is now black how dumb is that hard to spot punctures should have left it green

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heard theres potential issues with wheel balancing and consequent vibrations. Sounds a bit iffy.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
For peace of mind why not get a tubless tyre repair kit too.......??

repair is meant to be a 'get you home'/ reduced speed, but I put one in the back tyre of my GPZ9, Northern Italy, and cos I was a poor Manchester Bike courier, I rode it back in Blighty till the tyre was bald......<NOT ADVISABLE>........

never let me down, and was fairly easy to fix 'tread' repairs......note if the sidewall goes you are dead as a duck for repairs!!!

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
To slime or not to slime

I put slime in my tyres before a trip down to Barcelona in 07, because I was going alone, and didn't want to suffer a puncture.

Would I use the stuff again... NO.

9 months after using the stuff, I had to pay to have the front tyre removed so that the washers that seal the metal valve stem on the front wheel could be replaced as they had rotted away in the slime.

I carry a repair kit instead now

Rexx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts