Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Super Moderator
14,209 Posts
All magnesium cases in a '70 frame, with Brembo disc brakes, Routt big bore kit on 650 lump, Nourish head with a weber injector, megacycle cams, Hunt magneto, 3-phase Sparx alternator, "buckhorn" bars, magura levers, Akront rims, Dunlop universals, 2-1/2 gallon tank with rubber kneepads and '70 style emblems, Ceriani forks, Koni shocks, '68 crank with carillo rods, barnett clutch on a dry belt, 5-speed Quaife box, 2-into-1 Dunstall Power pipe, '67 style tail light, '70 grab bar, stainless polished fenders.

· Super Moderator
14,209 Posts
Olde: For the "all Triumph" '70 Bonnie, I mean AS ORIGINAL, like NEW. As with everyone else's opinions, mine is the correct one - '70 is the best.

Mechannica knows his stuff on what's what with Meriden Triumphs. If you've read three or four of the better background books, they start to concur on a great majority of significant points. The exact type and proper location of a specific decal, or the "proper" routing of the clutch cable on a '69 TR6 is insignificant to me.

· Super Moderator
14,209 Posts
I had to remove the reflectors from thier cups to get at the tank mounts, it seemed easier than the hassle of first removing the horns to get at the nuts from underneath...

And, no matter how much I adjusted, I couldn't get a really authoritative honk out of 'em.

Not worth the hassle.

· Super Moderator
14,209 Posts
I believe there are even more minute thread differences, although I am not near my reference books to quote exact specifics.

It has to do with the thread's PITCH (angle in degrees), besides the number of threads per inch and actual diameters of the smaller circle (shank) and larger circle (thread edge).

In other words, the profile of each different type of thread has a different shape of "peak".

Some of these different fasteners are easy to mix, causing slight damage and reducing the integrity, without totally stripping out one or the other mating fasteners and/or tapping in engine or frame.

[ This message was edited by: GrandPaulZ on 2006-12-10 10:08 ]

· Super Moderator
14,209 Posts
oooo:

I wish you would copy your progress posts over to my Triumph & Norton forums, there are a bunch of guys who would love to keep up with that.

Norton Rider's Collective
Triumph Bonnevilles
Custom Bikes Forum

Sounds like you finally reached "critical mass", but I'll ask one more time - you want to sell that QLS brake? hee hee

TAKE LOTS OF PHOTOS, especially starting out. take pix of your piles of parts, before & after shots of chrome & powdercoated stuff, etc.

Get ready to spend between $2500 & $3000 on a hot lump that will be trusty.

· Super Moderator
14,209 Posts
olde:

Just kidding, you know.

My late buddy, Mike "the bike" Whitesides (he didn't steal the nickname, friends who had no clue who Hailwood was used to call him that), had a new little Chinese bike he bought to teach his wife how to ride, one of those V-twins that looks like a Honda Magna with both pipes kinda stubby on one side. Well, he got some MV Agusta decals and stuck them on the tank. He also got a pair of HD badges and stuck them on another Chinese bike, a little vertical twin, with remote starter on the key-clicker.

He did it all in fun, he was that kind of guy.

He definitely knew his Triumphs, Nortons, HDs and Hodakas, he and his dad had a shop that handled those 3 makes over the years, starting in the 50s.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.