Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received what seems an astronomical quote from Carole Nash. £2300/year for 3rd party liability only, in a locked garage in London.

I recognize I have a few bad tick marks against me:, I'm brand new to the UK, still on an international licence, just on the south side of 30, about 3 years of riding. But that still seems bonkers. My plan is just to get my licence sorted sooner rather than later (especially now), and call around.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Rates that I should expect in London for similar age, riding a few years? Brokers I should look into?

Thanks
mdfx

·
Registered
599 Posts
If you're looking for 3rd party only, having the bike in a locked garage will make no difference as you're not insuring the bike as such, but only any damage you do to somebody else.

I would start off looking for fully comp first as sometimes 3rd party only is more than other options, not sure why that would be, but I've heard it happening.

You can try one of the compare websites out there or one of these:

https://www.bikesure.co.uk/motorbike-insurance-menu/

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/motorbike-insurance

I've used both of these companies, but currently I'm with CN who don't seem to want your business.

Good luck.......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Use one of the comparison sites. Not all the insurers are on them but it will at least give you a good idea of the ball park figure you should be in (plus you can see the effect of going fully comprehensive and also no voluntary excess both of which I've found make the quotes cheaper for some reason at the moment.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Daytona 955 2005, me 62, yes old git, I have no noclaims discount as my other bike's are on classic insurance. MCE quoted me £139 for T P F & T which I thought was bloody good! Cheers Steve

·
Registered
13 Posts
carol nash

Just paid £550.00 full comp from C/Nash. to get this price. They required my bonnie 2002 air/oil cooled to have factory alarm,tracker, garaged and chained to a solid floor/wall surface. This is in london home counties not sure if my lower regions have been squeezed!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just received what seems an astronomical quote from Carole Nash. £2300/year for 3rd party liability only, in a locked garage in London.

I recognize I have a few bad tick marks against me:, I'm brand new to the UK, still on an international licence, just on the south side of 30, about 3 years of riding. But that still seems bonkers. My plan is just to get my licence sorted sooner rather than later (especially now), and call around.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Rates that I should expect in London for similar age, riding a few years? Brokers I should look into?

Thanks
mdfx
Is that £2399 for the T100?! Seems a lot. Definetly shop around. As mentioned, check out the comparison sites and they will also call you afterwards. Personally I hate talking to people so normally go for the best deal thats offered electronically, but you can normally get the price down when you speak to them.

Mine is a Triumph Sprint ST 1050cc, 1st year of riding in the bad part of East London, garaged with alarm and immobilizer tracker and tag. I am just south of 40.

Give me a shout if you're in my neck of the woods, and we can go for a ride sometime! :DramaLlama

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah the clue is in the location - London.

There are 30,000 motorcycles/mopeds reported stolen in UK each year, half of those just in London. It doesn't take a mathematician to figure out that it's an area with the highest risk to insurers. Literally 40 motorcycles go missing every day in London and someone has to cover that loss.

My quote for a 2015 Bonnie, garaged, 18mm boltcutter-proof chain and anchor, disc lock, 10 years riding experience and 3 years no claims for Zone 1 East London was about £1,100. Compared to £270 when I lived in Cambridgeshire. Other factors like wether you have claimed previously or have had convictions will drive that price north so £2300 is a high but common quote.

Shop around and ring the insurers direct for a quote, but be prepared to pay a very high premium for being in the city's (motorcycle theft) capital.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I got my full licence at the end of January and had my 2013 Bonneville delivered the same day I passed. All the quotes I got from insurance companies for parked on the street outside my house in north London was around the £2300/year mark as well. When I asked one company why the quote was so high, they said it was because of the engine size increase (going from a 125cc up to a 865cc). Didn't matte that I had 2 years no claim on my 125cc.

Eventually, through shopping around, I went with MCE Insurance. Fully comp for £960/year. They may not have the greatest reputation, but it's a better deal than everywhere else. Hopefully when it comes time to renew next year the quotes with other companies will be much more reasonable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts