Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered the Ducatti throttle spacers to eliminate the throttle slop. Super easy installation and it definitely rides better without that play.

Thats the good news.

The bad news is I seem to have stripped one of the smaller screws (not the specialized head - rather the throttle body itself seems to be stripped out)

I rode for about 15 really bumpy miles and everything seems to be working fine. No movement from the screw.

Is there something I should do to be safe? And, why the hell is there a self tapping screw?! UGH.

Anyway, 2 thumbs up on the throttle spacers - any advice of the screw / housing would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes....the throttle housing is a poorly made POS
Chinsy plastic thin walled and cheesy basically wood screws....
You can prolly get away with a slightly bigger diameter screw that will bite better in the stripped out hole......

Shame on them for a high end bike....the block should be better built and have threaded inserts....like most inexpensive japanese bikes do

Reactions: Christopher Lutz

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ordered the Ducatti throttle spacers to eliminate the throttle slop. Super easy installation and it definitely rides better without that play.

Thats the good news.

The bad news is I seem to have stripped one of the smaller screws (not the specialized head - rather the throttle body itself seems to be stripped out)

I rode for about 15 really bumpy miles and everything seems to be working fine. No movement from the screw.

Is there something I should do to be safe? And, why the hell is there a self tapping screw?! UGH.

Anyway, 2 thumbs up on the throttle spacers - any advice of the screw / housing would be appreciated.
I agree; the spacers work great and the little screws are too easy to strip. Take it to a hardware store and find one slightly longer or wider and try that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm slightly afraid to pull it apart again without a good plan. What kind of epoxy could I use? That seems like it would allow me to "re-use" the stock screw with an entirely new "bite".

·
Registered
1972 Norton Commando, 1973 Norton Commando, 1974 Norton Commando, Bonnevilles - 2018 T120, 2009 T100
146 Posts
I have not tried this mod but if it helps the T-120 throttle notchiness it sounds worthwhile. Care to enlighten me as to how pleased you were - at least until the stripped screw? One trick I use is to insert a piece of thin electronic solder in the stripped hole then reinsert the screw. The solder fils the gap between the inner and outer threads and usually works well S long as you don’t overtighten it. It also has enough grip on both surfaces to effect a lasting repair IMHO.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have not tried this mod but if it helps the T-120 throttle notchiness it sounds worthwhile. Care to enlighten me as to how pleased you were - at least until the stripped screw? One trick I use is to insert a piece of thin electronic solder in the stripped hole then reinsert the screw. The solder fils the gap between the inner and outer threads and usually works well S long as you don’t overtighten it. It also has enough grip on both surfaces to effect a lasting repair IMHO.

Good tip! I will consider that and the epoxy idea.

RE: my overall happiness. 10 out of 10. Throttle control is MUCH better, smoother shifts, roll-off. The play in the throttle is completely gone. $30 bucks and about 10 mins of work to get installed.

I definitely recommend it.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Good tip! I will consider that and the epoxy idea.

RE: my overall happiness. 10 out of 10. Throttle control is MUCH better, smoother shifts, roll-off. The play in the throttle is completely gone. $30 bucks and about 10 mins of work to get installed.

I definitely recommend it.
You did this mod on a T120? What year? Where did you get the spacer kit? Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You did this mod on a T120? What year? Where did you get the spacer kit? Thanks!

I did the mod on a 2020 Speed Twin. I used Ducati spacers, which sounds wrong....but, Ducati uses the same throttle assembly.

here is the link:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ducati Spacer...on my 1200XE....significant improvement ...eliminated throttle slop entirely. Makes managing initial and low end throttle inputs ...well....like they should be

·
Registered
180 Posts
For the epoxy idea—get liquid epoxy for plastic and squirt some in the hole (mmmmmmmmm) and, once the “set” time has been reached, put in the screw temporarily using Teflon tape on the threads and then wait some more time (maybe the cure time maybe a little less) and take screw out and then really let it cure.

·
Registered
1972 Norton Commando, 1973 Norton Commando, 1974 Norton Commando, Bonnevilles - 2018 T120, 2009 T100
146 Posts
They have a line of spacers for Triumph, KTM and Ducati.
Can we confirm which kit is suitable for the T120 - (2018)? I get the sense the internals are all the same but would ferl better confirming with our experienced forum members first. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2019 Street Twin
513 Posts
I'd put some blue locktite on the stripped screw. As long as the other screw is ok I can't imagine it causing any problems.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I just ordered a set. For 2018 T120 so I hope they fit. I’m recovering from some non- bike related surgery so it will be about a month before I can report back but I will.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts