Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I a few months ago I posted about siezing my engine on my 750 Bonneville. Well I finally got around to workin on it. Pulled the oil drain plug and what I found was not pretty.

I am sure this is not the worst of it. Here is what I am thinking. I need to tear the engine completely apart and find out the extent of the damage. Does this sound like a logical idea or is there another route you all would take?

Also are there any books you guys would recommend specifically for engine rebuilding? I have a haynes but it doesn't seem all that detailed.

77 Bonneville 750 is what I am workin on.

[ This message was edited by: uncliggi on 2006-12-01 15:15 ]

·
Registered
794 Posts
Uncliggi,

Yep- definitely time to pull the engine right down. Looks to me like you busted the bottom skirt iff a piston. You could just pull the cylinders off and replace the pistons, hone, etc. but who knows what else went where....

If it were me, I'd want to know what else was flying around in the crankcase, and get rid of it. While you've got it pulled down, replace the big end shells, check the main bearings, the sludge trap, and all seals, etc.

You'll need to take the gearbox apart as well to get the crancase halves apart, so might as well check everything in there as well.

I've done all the above just using the Haynes, with a little help from the guys here.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I had some junk like that when my 67 locked a wrist pin to bushing. It tore the piston at the bush and the bush started spinning. Finaslly the whole thing blew. I recommend Clymers manuals. I even bought one for my Yamamha.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts