Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the release of the new thunderbird,with its 1500 engine, i have begun to wonder if Triumph might one day think of putting that engine into a bonneville style machine. What do you think, a sort of super bonneville?:D

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
That would be one big Bonnie and to me, would take away from what the Bonnie actually is.

If you want an Uber Bonnie I would check out that 1087 Bonnie with 110hp that another member built. Make that Triumph, and my money would be in my hands waiting.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Surely Triumph will use their new 1500cc motor for more than one or two bikes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll come out with a new bike that incorporates the new parallel twin motor and has an upright seating position.

A new Triumph that's something along the same style lines as a Moto Guzzi California Vintage would be my dream come true. Hopefully it will come to market in the very near future... my Bonneville is almost paid for. :D

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Eh...I don't know. The 865 cc's I've got now is good enough to move me about briskly. Another 700 cc's I would not need.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Part of the allure of my Bonneville is the engine size. In my opinion, the 750-1000cc class is the very best part of the motorcycling world. Twins any larger than this start getting too big. The new 1500 is definitely too big (and configured wrong...) for me. My 1100cc Guzzi is an anomoly in the "over 1000 class"...its only 580 lbs dry (well, thats what they claim, anyway). Thats not so heavy, but still noticable compared to the T100.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Part of the allure of my Bonneville is the engine size. In my opinion, the 750-1000cc class is the very best part of the motorcycling world. Twins any larger than this start getting too big. The new 1500 is definitely too big (and configured wrong...) for me. My 1100cc Guzzi is an anomoly in the "over 1000 class"...its only 580 lbs dry (well, thats what they claim, anyway). Thats not so heavy, but still noticable compared to the T100.
I'm with you: 500 cc's to 800 or so - you can get out of your own way, some fuel economy and stuff. Bigger sometimes is simply bigger! :D

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I would consider the new T-bird if they put it in a good touring package so I could justify dumping the old Goldwing for another Triumph. As a daily commuter the damn thing is heavy. The spec I saw from Triumph was around 675lb dry and almost 750lb wet. That definetly takes it out of the "flickable bonnie" catagory. I still think it will morph into a great bike that may some day replace the Rocket line.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts