Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

Which location should host the 2010 Triumph Triple Classics Rally?

• Catskills, NY

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • Poconos, PA

• Alleghenys, PA

• Ozarks, AR

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • Adirondaks, NY

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • Honolulu, HI

Votes: 2 4.1%
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
It's going to be hard to top the 2009 riding.

We have some mountains in PA that I'm willing to scout out and see what I can find over the summer.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I believe I posted an offer to investigate an Adirondack Mountains rally on the classics sticky. Since no one responded, I assumed it was too far north for most of you. The Bennington Bash covers some great terrain in Vermont and neighboring states, but an Adirondack Mountain Rally would also use routes farther west, with some eastern roads that Bennington uses. May is before the summer tourist season is up and running, so getting lodging would not be difficult. We have some spectacular roads in this region, and lots of other cool things such as whitewater rafting if anyone is interested. If it a pure riding experience you want, we definitely have the roads for that too. The only fly in the ointment is the weather, which can be really cold and wet even into June here. There is no predicting it, so if this was to be considered for a site, everyone would have to accept the possibility of some cold wet weather. It can also be absolutely beautiful here in May, but you need to know all the possibilities. My teaching job does not allow me days off during the week, but I would be willing to do what I could to facilitate this if folks are interested, even if I could not be there until Friday night. I would recommend the weekend before Memorial Day weekend as your best bet, because of weather, lack of tourists (you can literally ride miles on our roads without seeing another vehicle), and not wanting to compete with the Bennington Bash the weekend after Memorial Day. I would bet that some of the folks from Bennington would want to join us as well. Just some food for thought.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Think we would have to do and Addie's rally later in the year. Having spent some time there is May - definitely too iffy. There shouldn't be a fixed date. This year's date was chosen for based on the NASCAR schedule, largely.... making for better riding.

So, we have the Poconos and the Adirondacks. Any other proposals?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
How about the Adirondacks in August then?
Advantages:
1- Warmer (maybe very much warmer) than May.
2- All the summer venues are open.
3- I am on summer vacation, and so could attend for the whole thing.

Disadvantages:
1- Warmer (could sweat your lug nuts off).
2- All the summer tourists are here, so roads are busier (but the ones I am thinking about are still pretty quiet).
3- Lodging will be more expensive.
4- Traffic on major interstates getting here will definitely be a lot heavier than May.

Just some more food for thought.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm sure Vermont would be beautiful but that is a pretty long haul just to get there. NY sounds good too but again, that's a pretty long run. Big Al's suggestion of a PA mountain ride sounds interesting but I'd be ok with heading back to the same area we where this year too.

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
Hmmm,

One of the most fun things about a Rally is the RIDE to get there. Of course the good thing about getting to the Smokey Mtns. for me, is that the ride there is also fun.

If I don't spend at least two days riding to get to a Rally, I feel cheated.

Laurel Springs, to Schenectady, NY is only about 750 miles.
That's a nice 2 day trip.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Trust me when I say that Schenectady NY is not somewhere you would want to pick for your final destination; you folks coming from the west would do best to come up route 30 from Amsterdam NY or even Route 8. Schenectady is too far east, and there is no point in going there. Most folks fom south and west would enter the Adirondacks from the western side - better roads to ride and less traffic.

·
Banned
372 Posts
Ummm, yeah...I don't think I'll be ready for an 1100+ :eek: mile trek on my bike by '10 (or ever!).

:(

I wish I lived in a city with more Triumph enthusiasts. Rather, I wish I knew who all the Triumph Classic Triple enthusiasts were around here. It's all Harley's and crotch rockets. We have a Triumph dealership...where's everybody at?

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
It's really very enjoyable, to me anyway. I plan 250 to 300 miles per day as a general rule. I did 1800 miles the week of the Classics rally this year and had a great time and unwound from the typical work day stress. But not everyone would enjoy traveling on the little back roads through little towns either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I caught your drift Denny, I guess it will be a long time until I live down my transport choice for the 09 rally. lol A long trip would be a fun adventure, but finding the time to do it is a lot harder. I just figured if we went back to Laurel Springs I could work on improving my grade at dinner! Ha Ha.

Hey seriously though, I'm definitely interested in attending in 2010 wherever we decide to have it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
being the two-cylinder interloper that I am, I just wanted to inform all of you triples:

It doesn't matter where you throw the party...I am going to be there.

-simpson

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
But not everyone would enjoy traveling on the little back roads through little towns either.
A kindred spirit for sure! Traveling down back roads and seeing the parts of this country that are not within a couple of miles of the interstate is my idea of a road trip. The traveling's the thing; a good destination is just icing on the cake!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
being the two-cylinder interloper that I am, I just wanted to inform all of you triples:

It doesn't matter where you throw the party...I am going to be there.

-simpson
Good, because if it's not in NC, you're going to have to bring the Liver Mush!

·
Banned
372 Posts
I'd definitely enjoy the little backroads through the towns off the beaten path. I guess the biggest issue I'd have is making the trip alone. I know how to prepare for a road trip in a car, but hopefully I'll learn how for a motorcycle. Would it be ok for my buddy with a Kawi Concours 14 to come along?

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
I know how to prepare for a road trip in a car, but hopefully I'll learn how for a motorcycle. Would it be ok for my buddy with a Kawi Concours 14 to come along?
Everyone is always welcome!

Also depending on the location for next year and the route you take, maybe we can hook up for part of the trip?

I am sure the economic situation hurt the attendance this year. Also the weather predictions were not quite so good either, and that caused a few folks to cancel at the last minute.

I learn something about preparation every time I take a trip.
I am learning to pack lighter. Most important thing is good rain gear. On any long trip it's going to rain at least once. Riding in rain is not so bad if you have good gear. Light rain is actually enjoyable after some experience. I am learning to pack camping gear these days. I keep telling myself I am practicing for a really long bike/camping trip, hopefully to Alaska.

The '04 Rally was my first long bike trip. I met up with Eric from Minnesota in Tenessee. We rode the Cherohala Skyway and up the Blue Ridge to Pisgah together. That was one of the most enjoyable days I've ever spent on my bike.

ssevy said:
The traveling's the thing; a good destination is just icing on the cake!
Yep it's all about the ride to get there. A good destination makes any hardships along the way worthwhile.

Getting together with several other owners of these bikes is not only lots of fun, but very educational too. Dave's prisine example was something I enjoyed inspecting. plus all of the modifications. Mods to these bikes requires ingenuity, and that's refreshing. Not much of that simple off the shelf bolt on stuff is readily available for us.

·
Registered
222 Posts
So many choices...
'07 we rode from VA to NH to vacation, then onto the White Mountains in NH, through the Green Mountains of VT and down through the Catskills, then a leisurely stroll through PA and down the coast to VA. What a fantastic 2 weeks. August is a gorgeous time of year to be in New England.

This year's ride was so enjoyable I will be certain to plan several additional days next year. I'm really eager to see which mods will develope after the ralley ;-}
I am certain of two things; I will be there and I will have sufficient rain and safety gear.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I came down myself without a problem. You can over-pack and bring a bunch of tools, but all you really need is:

1) Roadside Assistance Coverage
2) Cell Phone
3) Credit Card

1 - 20 of 116 Posts