Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning,

Great forum which I've just joined, lots to learn and hopefully contribute to, first off though any recommendations for tyres other than the Bridgestone BT020s which I seem to just square off (I do a lot of motorway miles). Basically I 'want my cake and eat it' I want good all round grip in all weathers but which don't need replacing every 5 minutes. Actually I'm getting 5000 miles from a set, so maybe I shouldn't complain.

Alternatives appreciated,

Thanks

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Morning,

Great forum which I've just joined, lots to learn and hopefully contribute to, first off though any recommendations for tyres other than the Bridgestone BT020s which I seem to just square off (I do a lot of motorway miles). Basically I 'want my cake and eat it' I want good all round grip in all weathers but which don't need replacing every 5 minutes. Actually I'm getting 5000 miles from a set, so maybe I shouldn't complain.

Alternatives appreciated,

Thanks
Hi and welcome to the forum speedtriple309:)

We have an excellent tyre stickie thread in the "Maintenance tips and tricks" subforum on this page there is another world in there:)

I am no tech guy but I know a little about tyres, basically it all depends how you ride and what you want.

Sports Touring:
If you want great wet grip and good wear and a good rate of turn in then the new Michelin Pilot Road 2 CT is hard to beat, in fact for wet grip it has been independently tested and came out tops against about 6 other Sports touring tyres.

Avon Storm is also very good.

Sports:
If you want a good wearing excellent gripping sports tyre then I plump for the Michelin Pilot Power.
They turn in very fast and are one of the best wet tyres I have ever used.

I could waffle on for hours but it is all in the sticky, I have about 6 full page reviews on different tyres my self in that tyre stickie and there are many others as well.

What ever tyre you choose it must be what YOU feel most confident on and that is different for everybody as we all have different rding styles and weather conditions etc.

Read the tyre stickie.:)

I am happy to give tyre advice if you want to PM me but I will ask you a load of questions about how you ride.

Don and I also ask all noobs to please read our forum stickies about how we run the forum.

cheers
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'll be the first to say this, so you know to duck when the others chime in.

Use the search. there are loads of tyre (tire) threads on the forum.
There's a huge long running one in the technical tips sub forum at the top.

For myself, I stick with the black round ones.

(Edit) D*mn it Dave You beat me to it.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
I'll be the first to say this, so you know to duck when the others chime in.

Use the search. there are loads of tyre (tire) threads on the forum.
There's a huge long running one in the technical tips sub forum at the top.

For myself, I stick with the black round ones.

(Edit) D*mn it Dave You beat me to it.
hehehe I beat you Jimbo but not by much I think I was a nano second in front of you on the keyboard!:D

Cheers,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Cheers guys, getting there with the search tool to find information on tire choices, seems getting the exact key words right makes all the difference.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a Speed Triple as well as my new Sprint and really like the Dunlop Roadsmart tires. I ran Qualifiers on the S3 but they wore really quickly. I tried the Roadsmarts and have gotten about 5-6k out of the rear includine a track day and 1500 miles on abrasive Arkansas roads. These tires have gotten a lot of excellent press and they have virtually the same grip as the Qualifiers with great wet traction.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I <3 my Pirelli Diablo Strada tyres.

-Kory
Those are my favorite too. Had real good luck on my '02 with them. I just replaced the OEM BT020s with a set for an Arkansas ride this weekend. BTW, I only got 2800 miles out of the OEM rear, and the front was really cupping. Crap tire.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi,

Sports Touring:
If you want great wet grip and good wear and a good rate of turn in then the new Michelin Pilot Road 2 CT is hard to beat, in fact for wet grip it has been independently tested and came out tops against about 6 other Sports touring tyres.

Avon Storm is also very good.
For sports touring riding I'd recommend also Dunlop Roadsmarts or Sportmax D220 (the previous model). Both are good enough on wet and dry roads. On D220 I've done about 16000 km (10000 miles) on Sprint and they were really good.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Perhaps we need an Index of stickies...:rolleyes:

Monster tyre thread.
FYI Mike about 6 months ago I spent 5 hours reducing the tyre stickie to it's current size.

It now contains almost no chit chat or irrelevant posts.
Don and I have made about 8 full page reviews on different tyres between ourselves alone and several others have done the same.

It is very easy to find if you look.

We do not need a stickie index.

There are only one lot of forum stickies on the main page here and those in the "Maintenance Tips and Tricks" sub forum.

I don't think that is difficult or hard to find if you just look.

DaveM

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Read them before you criticise Seahorse, you never know you might even learn something.

Tyres are a personal choice like seats, what suits an individual depends on many things.

I have used more tyres here on a Sprint than anyone I know, I could summarise the thread but it would be my views of what suits and that would be a rather narrow view.

You apparently cannot be bothered reading different members reviews on the tyres that suit and do not suit this bike.

You asked for tyre advice in another thread and I offered you my personal help but you did not answer my questions or my offer, now you want someone to summarise all the tyre reviews for you and that we need a forum index.

My advice would be to get to know the members here and how they ride and read their reviews and make your own considered judgement if you do not want personal advice.

But don't complain about a very successful forum because you will not look for yourself when there is a wealth of information here at your finger tips.

We have the largest sensible tyre thread, full of whole and 1/2 page reviews from mostly experienced riders, of any website I have visited for Triumph Sprints and there are a few.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dave,
Read them before you criticise Seahorse, you never know you might even learn something.
I skimmed the sticky threads on day one. I've also lurked in and around this forum for a couple of years. It was not criticism, it was an observation/suggestion based on my perspective as a newcomer. Nothing more, nothing less.

Tyres are a personal choice like seats, what suits an individual depends on many things.
Agreed
I have used more tyres here on a Sprint than anyone I know, I could summarise the thread but it would be my views of what suits and that would be a rather narrow view.

You apparently cannot be bothered reading different members reviews on the tyres that suit and do not suit this bike.
I have, what gives you the impression I haven't.

You asked for tyre advice in another thread and I offered you my personal help but you did not answer my questions or my offer, now you want someone to summarise all the tyre reviews for you and that we need a forum index.
I read your advice and then left a post noting the two choices for future reference. I suggested an index of stickies, like many other websites, which makes everyone's life easier, end of story. I also posted a link to the person who asked the question to the 6 page tyre thread to make his life easier rather than say its there go find it.

My advice would be to get to know the members here and how they ride and read their reviews and make your own considered judgement if you do not want personal advice.
Something I am already doing and surely the reason most people are here.

But don't complain about a very successful forum because you will not look for yourself when there is a wealth of information here at your finger tips.
I have not complained about anything and am clearly attempting to make use of that information. Whilst it's locations may be immediately obvious to you and other veteran members, to newcomers it is not.

We have the largest sensible tyre thread, full of whole and 1/2 page reviews from mostly experienced riders, of any website I have visited for Triumph Sprints and there are a few.
Agreed.

There's a lot here from a long period of time, making it easier to find should not be a controversial subject imho...

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Mr Seahorse I do not at all agree with your reply.

1) skimming is not reading and by your comments in several threads about the same issue they are criticisms in my opinion.

My statement that you have not read the thread is correct it is obvious that you have not read it or you would not have asked the questions that you have, because the answers are there.

I know the tyre subject and that thread very well.

You have not read the thread, what you want is a simple answer so you do not have do do anywork.
Life isn't always like that and tyres are not something someone can summarise and say here everyone this is the right tyre for you.
Only suggestions can be made and they have been.

2) You agree tyres are a personal choice correct they are

3) Quote "I have, what gives you the impression I haven't."

You have answered this yourself, as you have said you skimmed the thread and your questions reveal you have not READ it.

4) Yes you made reference to my comments but did not answer my questions that I asked so I could better recommend a tyre, there are lots of factors which is why I asked the question.

Yes you did post a link to the tyre thread as "monster tyre thread" and have continued to make similar snipe type comments with a negative or critical tone.

It is a 6 page thread and was a great deal larger until I spent hours reducing it for you people a few months ago. It is large because it contains a great deal of very good reviews and information.

Perhaps you would prefer a site that has little information on this subject of tyres for Sprints?

5) The location of the tyre thread is not difficult to find for anyone wanting to find it, the title and link to that sub forum are clearly at the head of the page and a simple search for those who can't figure that out would find it in seconds.

Your posts however imply you prefer that the veterans and older members here should spoon feed you everything.

You have in your 16 posts to date asked several questions when the answer is in an existing thread only 1 page away.

I do not agree that the tyre stickie is difficult to find for any person who wants to find it.
Since it was moved into that sub forum months ago I have been asked once where is it.

6) Making the tyre stickie easier to find?
I covered that already it is easy to find if you look.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
I for one remember what the tyre sticky looked like and can say that it is now a valuable resource since Dave has gone through it and culled it down to the pertinent posts. I've read a lot of tire posts in other forums and think that our sticky can provide the diligent reader far more objective information than the usual subjective posts you read on other sites.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts