Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
I had Michelin Pilot Powers on my Duke & changed them for Qualifiers, which I'd had on my first Striple. They were light years ahead of the Michies, & I finally got to experience the legendary Ducati handling, which had previously eluded me. But the Bridgies I've just fitted are even better again. They're side grip is just phenomenal!

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
I'll throw in my $0.02. I put Dunlop Sportmax Q2's on my Sprint for last year's TnT and got my chicken strips down to half the width of Scratcher's picture on the second ride. And that was 2-up with bags on. I would have gotten them all the way to the edge, but the wife was beating on my back and saying, "Noooo....!" I've liked them so well I put a set on my Ducati. Not only that, but they are really cheap here in the U.S. Competition Accessories has them for $195 with free shipping!

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Just curios HiD have you ever tried the Dunlop Qualifiers.? I tried the Michelins there a good tire but over-rated for the $$ . When i owned my Busa I never achieved the same lean angel i did with the Dunlop Qualifiers. I never felt really compfortable on the Michelins..JMO.
I'm pretty comfortable on them. :D No, I've never tried Qualifiers. I tried Dunlops several years ago - 208s, I think - when I had a YZF600R, and was very much not impressed.

I had Michelin Pilot Powers on my Duke & changed them for Qualifiers, which I'd had on my first Striple. They were light years ahead of the Michies, & I finally got to experience the legendary Ducati handling, which had previously eluded me. But the Bridgies I've just fitted are even better again. They're side grip is just phenomenal!
I used Battlaxes on that YZF, and they were quite good. I've thought about trying them on Misty. But I checked today, and I wasn't giving those Michelins enough credit; the rear is now over 7500 miles. Granted, it's ready to be replaced, but that's 7500 miles of great performance. Not too shabby.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Febreeze ! I had to g0oogle it , ( thank God) its an air freshener!!! I was thinking some type of solo sex lubricant eewwwww.

:eek:
mark if your using it on your tyres you will have some handling issues!!!:D

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
Febreeze ! I had to g0oogle it , ( thank God) its an air freshener!!! I was thinking some type of solo sex lubricant eewwwww.

:eek:
Well I thought it was a feminine hygiene product.:eek:
You two need to get your heads out of the gutter, for God's sake.

Thanks, JollyRgr, I'll need all the Fabreeze I can get my lack-of-hands on.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Thats rich coming from you !!! get yer head out of a jar before you walk a mile in other peoples joggers, Hey Im watching Ice Hockey on cable, Blackhawks....for when we get the bar going again :D:p:eek:

i had the reverse experience between qualifiers and Michelin 2CT,s

nearly twice the milage and much better grip with the Michies !

All depends on the bike , rider, style I think. Hidey Dunlop 208,s are

ancient , Its changing every year ( Tyre tech etc,) dont rely on

what was true a few years back.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Prolly try Bridgies on the rear, Scratcher. I'll trust you, cos you're my favourite RAT. By the way, how's my mongrel twin brother goin? Hasn't wrecked my Duke, has he? I bet your stash is dwindling. You do know he's on drugs, don't ya. Only last week, I seen him down the pub, dissing Dukes n' Triumphs. He's even takin' ya toothbrush to the toilet.

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Hidey Dunlop 208,s are ancient , Its changing every year ( Tyre tech etc,) dont rely on what was true a few years back.
True; this was several years ago. I only brought it up to show that I have tried others. And as you say, I'm getting great mileage on the Michelins. I'm over 7500 miles, I've never felt anything that I'd call a tire shortcoming, and I ordered a new one last night.

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Thats rich coming from you !!! get yer head out of a jar before you walk a mile in other peoples joggers, Hey Im watching Ice Hockey on cable, Blackhawks....for when we get the bar going again :D:p:eek:

i had the reverse experience between qualifiers and Michelin 2CT,s

nearly twice the milage and much better grip with the Michies !

All depends on the bike , rider, style I think. Hidey Dunlop 208,s are

ancient , Its changing every year ( Tyre tech etc,) dont rely on

what was true a few years back.
Q1 Qualifiers varied in quality depending on where they were made. The Q1's made in France, came standard on the Street Triple, & were a control tyre for a European race series (don't know which one). They were absolutely brilliant, wet or dry. However the Q1s made in Japan were bloody atrocious. I had both on my first Stripple, & the difference was like chalk & cheese. That's why Dunlop released the Q2s, which are built to the French standard, world wide. & they are every bit as good as the Frog Q1s.

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
No kidding; I'm pretty happy. Why change from a tire that lasts that long, and is grippy enough to get me right out to the edge?

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
But how confident do you feel with it on the limit? Can you confidently feed in more power, & know that the tyre won't want to slide? Or do you have to be very careful about how much power you give it? I wore the Michies on my Duke out to the edge too. & thought they were an OK tyre, until I put the Q2s on & realised how much more power I could put down on the road. & the Bridgies are even better at getting the power down early.
I'm not trying to talk you out of the Michies though. If you're happy with the performance & milage you're getting from them, & don't want to explore the potential of your bike any further. They're perfect for you. But don't delude yourself that you've got the best performing tyre available. You've got an adequately performing tyre for the application you're going to use it for, which is good enough for most people.

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
It's a valid question, OS.

I've never felt a hint of slip that wasn't due to the road surface, the most common culprits being tar snakes or sand/dirt in the road. Other than that, I've honestly never felt that the tires couldn't do anything I've asked of them. I've run with my friend using significantly stickier tires, and what holds me back are the uncertainties of riding the open road. You never know when the next corner will reveal a pack of bicyclists, a dog in the road, or a patch of sand you could use to build castles.

I'm limited by my risk analysis, not my tires. Maybe some outrageous evasive maneuver might prove too much for them, where a set of stickier tires would pull me through. That's a possibility, but my judgment tells me it's a pretty remote possibility. The extra hassle and expense of changing my tires 2 or 3 times as often per season is not a possibility, it's a reality.

So in short, I bet you're right. But I don't really feel the need to make myself faster, until the day comes when I get onto a track. Ask the Triumphs in Taos crew if I held people back. :p

41 - 54 of 54 Posts