Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of a new front tyre.

I replaced the rear with a Bridgestone BT021 I had in my gararge about 750 miles ago.

Question is do I put another Bridgestone on the front or bite the bullet and replace them both with something totally different.

I know everyone has a preference, just looking for a consensus of opinion

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
My opinion for what it's worth would be ditch the front and get yourself a set of Michelin's either Pilot Road 2CT or Pilot Power 2CT.

Also have a look in the tyre stickie in Maintenance Tips and tricks for actual full reviews mostly by experienced riders.

good luck:)

DaveM:cool:

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
...... boy do we have a treat for you - it is a sticky all about tires - it is in the 'maintenance tips and tricks ...' And you will find plenty of opinions :D

Here is the link http://www.triumphrat.net/maintenan...23-hoops-hides-skins-or-just-plain-tires.html

Generally the BT020 hasnt been the favourite tire around here but it sounds like the 021 may be an improvement.

Personally I'd put on a 021 front to match the rear - I never had a problem with the 020s.But then I dont ride particularly hard.

I now run Avon Storms and am very happy with them.

Grant:cool:

edit: simultaneous posting Dave :D

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
oh oh the old simultaneous posting trick eh?

You don't expect me to fall for that do you?:eek:

Grant I happen to know you are running secret software top beat my posts so yours comes out on top!:D

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the original pilot roads. I got mine for 180 rear last years installed and balanced and 150 for the front balanced and mounted last week. They turn in very nice and hold the road great.

I must say a new matching profile front tire makes all the difference in cornering.

Check the sticky though and you'll see all the info you could imagine.

·
Registered
438 Posts
If the tire you had in the garage isn't too old, might as well keep it and get a matching front. Well, if the tire type suits you. You may want something grippier if you a kneedragger.

I'm on a set of Conti Road Attacks right now. They've been great.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
I've matched tyre brands before and would be happy to do so with a Pilot Rd or Rd 2CT on the front with a Bridgestone on the rear. But only until the bridgestone is near done, then I'd go for the second Michelin.

If I was doing a whole set, I'd go the Pirelli Strada front and rear. I liked the conti road attacks, but like the Pirelli's even more.

Russ

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Russ

Sorry to contradict but..................

The Pilot Road (old) and the new Pilot Road 2CT are two different profiles.

The older Road is a very round profile like a Metzeler Z6 while the Pilot Road 2CT is a vee shaped profile similar to the Pilot Power 2CT

The BT 020 is a rounder profile like the old Pilot Road or Z6, I would not mix profile types if it was me.
I would not put a BT 020 on with a new Pilot Road 2CT on my own Sprint, I would bin the BT 020.

It all depends how you ride and if you ride in a lot of wet weather as tread patterns are designed to pump water out with matching front and rear tyres, with mixed brands this will not work as well.

I don't match brands either but that is a whole new subject.

DaveM

·
Registered
388 Posts
If the tire you had in the garage isn't too old, might as well keep it and get a matching front. Well, if the tire type suits you. You may want something grippier if you a kneedragger.

I'm on a set of Conti Road Attacks right now. They've been great.

+1 for the road Attacks, wish they were fitted to the Sprint when i got it, instead i'm on BT021's until they wear out.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'd avoid the Pirelli Diablo Strada. It's a great tire but if you get a defective one like I did you're probably gonna have to pay out for a new one. They have a warranty procedure but I've received no help from them in actually getting a new tire even though they told me over the phone that it was defective. When I complained by way of an email, they replied in a mildly offensive manner accusing me of not understanding their procedure. What I was told on the phone (twice) is different from what they have in writing...

They don't even want to see pics of the extensive sidewall cracking let alone get the tire back for evaluation.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'd avoid the Pirelli Diablo Strada. It's a great tire but if you get a defective one like I did you're probably gonna have to pay out for a new one
The tires I ordered are PIRELLI Diablo Supersport Street. I have ridden with a friend that has them on a GSXR and he likes them very much claiming their very sticky in the milder temperatures we have up here. He's also a very aggressive rider, more so the my self. The place I purchased the tires through have their own tire replacement warranty.

Down side is that Pirelli is discontinuing that model.

Up side $190 U.S. for the set. I think it's dam good bargain.

Sticks

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
The tires I ordered are PIRELLI Diablo Supersport Street. I have ridden with a friend that has them on a GSXR and he likes them very much claiming their very sticky in the milder temperatures we have up here. He's also a very aggressive rider, more so the my self. The place I purchased the tires through have their own tire replacement warranty.

Down side is that Pirelli is discontinuing that model.

Up side $190 U.S. for the set. I think it's dam good bargain.

Sticks
Have you considered that it might be more appropriate to select a tire that is recommended by someone that has a riding style more similar to yours? It sounds as though you expect the tire your friend recommended to exhibit the same characteristics with you riding as it does with his "very aggressive" style. It could be the stickiness is related to his riding style and might not be as noticeable with a less aggressive rider.

Just food for thought.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks OnD,

I always appreciate your input.

I'm currently working a 32 hour week and for a $190 for front and rear it's hard to pass up. Hope to back to 40 plus hour weeks in about a month.

There is not much in the info on the tire sticky about Pirelli.

Any one have any thing good or bad to say about my discount choice I'm all ear's

Sticks

·
Registered
444 Posts
Just to chime in, I put on a new set of Dunlop RoadSmart tires at the start of my 4600 mile road trip earlier this month. They got me through rain, snow, ice, sand, dirt, gravel, mud, rough pavement and good, riding aggressively or tamely, while loaded up.

Much less tramlining than the Pilot Powers they replaced, and they seemed to warm up just about as quick. No drama when leaned, no feeling of flopping over in a turn, and good communication from the rear when you're close to the limit. And they are absolutely first-rate in the wet.

They really impressed me, and they still have a few thousand left on them, running 38f/42r. I'm about 270 out of the shower, and all the crap I was lugging for the trip was at least another 40 pounds, so that's pretty damned good wear. Of that 4600 miles, about 1000 was straight stretches of slab I couldn't avoid, the rest was on secondary roads. No signs of them going square either.

What's interesting is that they're a dual compound in the rear but a single soft compound in the front, so when the rear goes, it's time for a new front as well. I don't mind that, I'd rather do my tires all at once anyway, but some folks might.

My next set will be a set of Pilot Road 2's though, just to try them out for the summer, but I would recommend the Roadsmarts to anyone for spirited street use. Great wear, great performance, great price, and they even have a nice looking tread pattern, for what that's worth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts